PHILOMENA
53.06%
26 votes
12 YEARS A SLAVE
12.24%
6 votes
THE WOLF OF WALL STREET
49 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Gravity is highly deserving of the award and would be my pick. Too bad I'm alone in that thought and I don't have an academy vote.
If Gravity won this year I would not be mad. It is a great film, and I think it is high time a sci-fi flick won best picture after Star Wars and ET got snubbed, and Empire never got a nomination!

Also 2001 a Space Odyssey was never nominated either. Just saying.

Gravity is highly deserving of the award and would be my pick. Too bad I'm alone in that thought and I don't have an academy vote.
Def not alone. My fave of the year.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Well I have now seen 5, and this is how I rate them:
1. Gravity 9/10
2. American Hustle 8.5/10
3. Captain Phillips 8/10
4. Her 7/10
5. Dallas Buyers Club 5.5/10

I really have enjoyed all of them, outside of Dallas Buyers Club. I think it would be tough for the remaining 4 to be as well liked, but we will see. With the exception of Wolf.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I think this year will be a Picture/Director split and 12 Years will pull away with the win.

Suspect's Reviews

If anyone is wondering if American Hustle winning the Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by a Cast on Saturday gives it an inside track to win Best Picture at the Oscars, the answer is a decided, "Eh, not really."

SAG has only been handing out this award for nineteen years now, and in the first eighteen instances, their winner for best cast has gone on to win the Oscar's top prize only nine times. 50% isn't a bad indicator, but it's not anywhere near as surefire as The DGA Award. The last ten years are also a 60/40 split, with Sideways, Little Miss Sunshine, Inglourious Basterds and The Help being the odd ducks.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAG Hustle.jpg
Views:	1532
Size:	222.4 KB
ID:	12610  
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

The Producers Guild of America (PGA) has been giving out an annual award since 1990. As an Oscar predictor, it's not horrible. It's no DGA Award (nothing is), but it'll do. Since its inception, their pick for Producers of the Year has coincided with the producers who actually walk on stage to get the Academy Award for Best Picture seventeen out of twenty-five years (68%), which includes the last six in a row. Though statistically I should note that before this run, they had never gone more than two years in a row before differing with the Academy. Either they are over-correcting or way overdue to break?

Well, they've really covered their bets this year, with, for the first time in their history, a tie for their top honor. It was split between 12 Years A Slave and Gravity. Which I guess is bad news for American Hustle, unless the PGA just plain blew it this year?

Attachments

Name:	PGA logo.jpg
Views:	1597
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	12623   Click image for larger version

Name:	SC20140121-010241-1.jpg
Views:	1481
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	12631  

Let's try to be broad-minded about this
I haven't seen them all but so far my vote goes to Gravity. Seriously what could anyone possibly think of that would improve that movie? Nothing. Because it's perfect. It had more enjoyable 3D than Avatar.

American Hustle is picking up momentum after winning the SAG award.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Academy gives the Oscar to Hustle and David O. Russell...just realized that rhymes

Gravity seems like it lost it's chance for Best Picture, and will only collect awards for special effects and cinematography.

The Best Picture race is now between Hustle and 12 Years a Slave, and, from what I see, Hustle has the upper hand.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
It was split between 12 Years A Slave and Gravity. Which I guess is bad news for American Hustle, unless the PGA just plain blew it this year?
Blew it? You make it sound like the only point for these awards is to guess the Oscar.

I'm sure they awarded who they thought was the best, regardless if Hustle wins or not. I would never say someone "blew it". IMO of course.

American Hustle is picking up momentum after winning the SAG award.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Academy gives the Oscar to Hustle and David O. Russell...just realized that rhymes

Gravity seems like it lost it's chance for Best Picture, and will only collect awards for special effects and cinematography.

The Best Picture race is now between Hustle and 12 Years a Slave, and, from what I see, Hustle has the upper hand.
If only. That's your dream sequence, though did be fine with it too. It's just not going to happen.

THIS is a nice analysis of how expanding the Best Picture nominees to as many as ten has already been a failure, if its supposed purpose was to get a more diverse selection of Oscar nominees.

Attachments

Name:	Joker.jpg
Views:	1357
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	12643  

Definitely WoWS, but it hurts my soul that Prisoners was not even nominated.

Loved Gravity, A lot. Thought The Wolf of Wall Street was about an hour an a half too long. And Hustle was pretty good.

OK, have now seen four of those nominated - Gravity, 12 Years a Slave, Captain Phillips & American Hustle. 12 Years is the best of them, American Hustle the worst. The other two deserve their nominations.

My three favourite films of the year aren't nominated - Before Midnight, Spring Breakers & Blue Jasmine. I guess that's why I don't worry too much about Oscar winners.

Gravity!!!

12 Years a Slave is clearly the type of movie that wins the Oscar. It's a very good movie but of course, given the thousands of the people voting for the Oscar, the movie that satisfies the best the average opinions of the people who vote for it. A movie like Gravity is much of a genre movie to satisfy the opinions of all voters for the Oscars.

On Indian forums they are saying that ' 12 years a slave ' won't win too many Oscars because it does not give a great image of America , that ' Slumdog millionaire ' got many awards because it made the Americans feel better about themselves compared to Asians like people from India , but ' 12 years a slave ' would not make Americans feel better about themselves and would rather expose something that they would like to forget .

On Indian forums they are saying that ' 12 years a slave ' won't win too many Oscars because it does not give a great image of America , that ' Slumdog millionaire ' got many awards because it made the Americans feel better about themselves compared to Asians like people from India , but ' 12 years a slave ' would not make Americans feel better about themselves and would rather expose something that they would like to forget .

I don't know how much water that holds, even if 12 Years A Slave doesn't win many Oscars. Fairly recent Best Picture winners have been far from "rah-rah America", as FOX News will be happy to tell you. The Hurt Locker was hardly a glorification of the U.S. involvement in Iraq, and though it didn't overtly address the justifications or grander geo-political themes, you can't say that dark, psychological look at a couple of soldiers in that combat zone was designed to make "Americans" feel better about themselves. And it won over a very escapist mega-blockbuster in Avatar.

Going back a little further and though fictional films not based on historical facts, The Departed's world of police corruption is hardly a great image of America, Million Dollar Baby's emotional drama rests, ultimately, on the moral issue of assisted suicide (U.S.A.! U.S.A.!), and for all of its detractors about it being too-pat or simplistic or whatever in its depiction of racial disharmony, if Crash is designed to make this country feel warm and fuzzy about itself, I'm not seein' it.

In general, dramas about Slavery and the U.S. Civil War have not fared particularly well with Best Picture. Spielberg's The Color Purple, which is Post-Slavery but set in the Jim Crow era South dealing with many of the same issues, famously was shut out after receiving eleven noms, including Best Picture. Spielberg's Lincoln lost out to Argo just last year, and his Amistad was not even nominated for Best Picture. Glory, Ride with the Devil and Cold Mountain were unnominated. Django Unchained, which is of course is a fantasy action piece and not historically accurate, was nominated last year. Dances with Wolves won Best Picture and starts on a Civil War battlefield before moving far away from that conflict. You have to go all the way back to Gone with the Wind to find the only Picture winner that is expressly about The Civil War or Slavery.

If you want to use all of that as proof that The Academy "would rather [not] expose something that they would like to forget", you can. But it should be noted that "Roots", the 1977 television mini-series based on Alex Haley's novel, is one of the most honored and watched series in the history of the medium.

If you want to say that the general uncomfortability of the subject matter in 12 Years A Slave, for mainstream Americans or Academy members or anybody, may give pause to viewers and voters, I don't disagree. It's very brutal and far from a "fun" film, of course. Movies about grim historical subject matters presented in all their horrors have won Best Picture before, including the Holocaust in Schindler's List, the Vietnam War in Platoon and The Deer Hunter, a WWII prisoner of war camp in The Bridge On the River Kwai, and the rise of the Orcs under Sauron in The Lord of the Rings: The Retrun of the King (that last one may, in fact, be a joke).

As the great screenwriter William Goldman (The Princess Bride, Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid) opined about Hollywood, "Nobody knows anything. It's all bullsh!t." When you try to ascribe reasons to a voting body like The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, which currently has around six thousand members, or extrapolate that further to somehow being what Americans in general feel about one thing or another, you are welcome to any and all theories...but mostly, it's all bullsh!t.

Attachments

Name:	William Goldman.jpg
Views:	1239
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	12885   Click image for larger version

Name:	12 Years porch.jpg
Views:	1169
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	12886  

I think I've decided against watching 12 Years a Slave. I don't know why, but it just doesn't seem like my kind of film. Same with Philomena. I would like to see Wolf yet though.