Seven psychopaths on netflix

→ in
Tools    

Been on my "to watch" list for a while on netflix, is the seven psychopaths with Colin Farrell. I really really tried, but felt like I was forever waiting for the movie to get into its stride, and for it to gain some kind of traction. It all just felt like a whole lot of nothing, that probably sounded really clever as a movie script. Did anyone actually enjoy this movie, I see its highly rated on IMDB?

Been on my "to watch" list for a while on netflix, is the seven psychopaths with Colin Farrell. I really really tried, but felt like I was forever waiting for the movie to get into its stride, and for it to gain some kind of traction. It all just felt like a whole lot of nothing, that probably sounded really clever as a movie script. Did anyone actually enjoy this movie, I see its highly rated on IMDB?
I would say that I liked the film but did not love it.

Martin McDonagh is the same writer/director who made In Bruges (a film that a lot of people love but I think is merely okay). I find that in both of the films I've seen from him, there are parts that I think are actually pretty cool and amazing, but that about 2/3 of everything else feels . . . off. I find his sense of humor is at times, for lack of a better word, a bit tacky and crude. In his films I feel very aware of the "writer's voice" and for me it holds the film at a bit of an arm's length.

In the case of Seven Psychopaths I enjoyed it (7/10) because I really liked the cast. I thought that Christopher Walken, in particular, breathed a ton of life into his scenes. And maybe I'm just a sucker, but I liked the whole discussion about the screenplay and the idea of the Buddhist monk and the woman.

I would highly recommend two films that were made by Martin McDonagh's brother, John McDonagh. I find that they flow a lot better and do a better job of balancing dark humor with humanity. The two I'd recommend are Calvary and The Guard. The former is much more of a drama and the latter is more of a comedy.

I liked this movie a lot..here's a link to my review:

https://www.movieforums.com/reviews/...ychopaths.html