Quest to Find My Most Rented Childhood Movie

Tools    

Hello!! I am searching for the title of a movie I used to rent all of the time as a kid. Everytime my family went to rent movies, I always chose this one (around mid-late 1990s). I can’t remember what it was called and have been searching and searching. I also vaguely remember what it’s about. It was animated and had a bunch of different storylines. It would jump from one story to the next. The only part I really remember is there was a boy crossing a river and he gets swallowed by a hippo. I know it sounds crazy lol I also think one of the storylines was about mice who had a shoe shop (but not as confident about that). I also don’t think there was really any dialog, but also not confident in that detail. I know this is a stretch because I remember so little, but if anyone knows what I’m talking about please help me out!! Thank you

Hi!

Would it be Disney? I haven't seen a child swallowed by a hippo (it would not be for kids?)

Fantasia

youtube.com/watch?v=MJ7IGnQPZPQ

Edit: ah ok, you said: "around early-mid 2000s"

I know the whole hippo thing sounds crazy for a kids movie, but it’s the only part I seem to remember.

Hi!

Would it be Disney? I haven't seen a child swallowed by a hippo (it would not be for kids?)

Fantasia

youtube.com/watch?v=MJ7IGnQPZPQ

Edit: ah ok, you said: "around early-mid 2000s"

Not Okja! I’m pretty confident about the animation. I wish remembered more of it.
Its not Okja right?

You are 100% sure are cartoons all the time?

freedom~empathy~peace
.....there was a boy crossing a river and he gets swallowed by a hippo.....
Swallowed whole?....or chewed up? (eaten). Also, are you sure it wasn't a crocodile or something?

Do you remember if that was the end of the poor unfortunate boy, or did he escape somehow? -- I'm trying to get a feel for what kind of movie this was. This scene you've described sounds quite scary.

Do you think the stories were meant to be 'fun' for kids to watch, or was it more of a scary adventure type thing?

freedom~empathy~peace
There's a scene in the film 'Hugo The Hippo' (1975) where a boy falls into a river and is 'almost' swallowed by a hippo -- (then the hippo and the boy become great friends).

To see the river scene in this video, go to about 45:30 seconds:

I think that's it, sometimes putting dates like around "early-mid 2000s" complicates things, I didn't find anything in the 90's and mid 2000.I'll keep an eye on the thread to see if it's that one (:

Thank you everyone for your replies! This whole movie honestly feels like I was the only one on the planet who has seen it lol so I appreciate the responses.

To answer a few questions:
-it’s not from Hugo the Hippo, the hippo scene is just one small story amongst a few others.
-I’m pretty confident that it was a hippo and he was swallowed whole.
-I honesty don’t remember it being scary, and I was quite the scaredy cat. I think the boy was like playing in an area he wasn’t supposed to or something like that. Maybe it was a crazy way to teach a lesson about behaving lol
-Also, I’m not even sure if it was actually a full movie. It was a compilation of different animated stories, so like shorts.

I have been searching for a really long time, which led me to this forum. I honestly don’t expect to find it ever because I remember so little so thank you to everyone for trying. I promise I’m not crazy and it’s somewhere out there!

Also, there may have been a scene of a miniature man writing with a regular size pen. So he is drawing using a pen bigger than he is. Take this with a grain of salt because I can’t remember if that is actually a part of the movie I’m looking for or just another vague animation I remember!

I feel old because when I was a kid there was no such thing as rented movies.
There weren't any such thing as rented movies until I was a teenager.
Video rental stores weren't common until I was an adult and they all disappeared when I hit "middle age."

freedom~empathy~peace
.....I’m not crazy....
I, for one, never thought you were crazy -- I fully believe the video you saw is out there somewhere.

I suggest you check in with this forum occasionally (maybe every couple of weeks) because I've noticed there are contributors here who don't give up easily -- they like a challenge and will carry on searching. It's like a 'treasure hunt'....anyone can take part, and nobody needs to leave their couch!

I don't think this is it, but I'll just point out that Animaniacs ran from the early to late 90s. It was not uncommon for there to be VHS tapes of collections of episodes of the show. And the show had segments that sometimes featured two hippo characters.

I loved the Animaniacs!! Unfortunately not what I’m looking for, but fortunately brought back some good memories. Thank you!

I loved the Animaniacs!! Unfortunately not what I’m looking for, but fortunately brought back some good memories. Thank you!
Here's another thought: have you tried asking whichever adult it was who took you to the video store? I hope that doesn't sound snarky--I know that some people might not have a good relationship with their parents or might not still have them around.

But when I one time had a similar question the conversation went like this:

ME: There was this video I rented when I was like 5 or 6 years old. There was this woman who drove a car and--
MOM: Penelope Pittstop.
DAD: You rented that movie all the time.
MOM: ALL THE TIME.

That’s a good thought, but I have gone to my parents and they don’t remember. We were the very first customers at our local video rental when in opened in the mid-90s. We went all of the time, and I used to just grab it off the shelf. So a dead end for me. Thank you for the suggestion!

perhabs you can find the guy who rent your movie ^^ Good luck to find it

freedom~empathy~peace
A bit of a long-shot here, but worth mentioning I think. 'Fantasia 2000' (1999) -- released by Walt Disney Pictures, consists of animated segments set to pieces of classical music (no dialog). During one of the segments, there's a scene where a toy tin soldier gets swallowed whole, by a fish.

To see it, go to 6:25sec in the following clip: