Avatars - Are you tied to yours?

Tools    

For reasons I may one day disclose (and no it's not for purposes nefarious) I feel a definite kinship with the imagery I use in my avatar. Something Austruck said to me a few months back made me sit and think about it for a while (a while being a few months I guess ).

I almost can't picture Yoda being anything but Yoda even though I remember his TWTCommish days (but don't remember a particular avatar). Sedai seems pretty well synonymous with that flicking switchblade, Caitlyn's avatars all have a sort of beauty+suspicion+strength theme and Pike is a gunslinger. Slug is Dangerfield, meat is meat and Mark is Grampa Simpson.

Just a fun poll really, how tied are you to the imagery that you use to represent yourself if at all?

With me, it's completely backwards: my username came from my avatar. We didn't have avatars in the site's early days (the software didn't allow for them; shows you how long this place has been around...). We added them later. I didn't have one for awhile, if I recall correctly, but I ended up going with Yoda because, well, I really like the character. People really liked the choice and it stuck. The reason for my old username had become moot, and the new username was movie-related, so I made the switch.

At this point, I couldn't ever change it. It's been too long, and it feels right, besides. As dorky as it sounds, I admire the character and like a lot of his character traits, though I'm not a crazy-huge Star Wars fan. I try to be reasonably mellow in times of conflict and disagreement, and I like the contrast and duality of someone who prefers peace and calm, but doesn't hesitate to take up arms when need be. I think that's kinda cool.

So, in short: Yoda's a movie icon that does a good job of projecting and summarizing a lot of things I like and would like to be, which makes him an obvious choice as an avatar.

Totally with you on some of the other users; some of them are irrevocably linked with their user in my mind. This goes even for some of the users who change theirs: I notice whenever Cait changes hers, but I can usually guess it's hers when I see it. They all feel of a kind.

Outside of the holidays, these are the types of avatars that I usually use . . .

I'm not goth, but my personality sure is a dark one. I can also be a bit of a flirt. OK, OK, I'm one hell of a flirt! I've never really thought about it before, but maybe I'm in a mood, when I switch to those goth type avatars.

One thing is for sure, I really dig the color black!

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I just had a freak accident cost me one of my cats, so I'm not sure I can even write anything now.

At other sites (and maybe even at this one, if any of you can remember), I normally always started off as a Bogie character, usually Sam Spade or Fred C. Dobbs. When I somehow lost access to that photo (this was before I knew anything about saving photos to my computer or uploading them to Photobucket), I'd have to pick another one. I picked a few Simpsons ones, but I was usually one of the oldest people at the sites, so I naturally gravitated towards Grampa because he had so many life experiences and had undoubtedly forgotten almost all of them. That just resonated with me. Plus "The Simpsons" is one of my all-time fave TV shows.

Even so, when you lose a pet (or any loved one), it makes you realize that something like an avatar is really very unimportant in the scheme of things, so I'd have no problem changing my avatar. I've lost enough things down through the years to realize that everything is very transitory.

Ulysses, R.I.P.

I just had a freak accident cost me one of my cats, so I'm not sure I can even write anything now.

At other sites (and maybe even at this one, if any of you can remember), I normally always started off as a Bogie character, usually Sam Spade or Fred C. Dobbs. When I somehow lost access to that photo (this was before I knew anything about saving photos to my computer or uploading them to Photobucket), I'd have to pick another one. I picked a few Simpsons ones, but I was usually one of the oldest people at the sites, so I naturally gravitated towards Grampa because he had so many life experiences and had undoubtedly forgotten almost all of them. That just resonated with me. Plus "The Simpsons" is one of my all-time fave TV shows.

Even so, when you lose a pet (or any loved one), it makes you realize that something like an avatar is really very unimportant in the scheme of things, so I'd have no problem changing my avatar. I've lost enough things down through the years to realize that everything is very transitory.

Ulysses, R.I.P.
Really sorry for your loss mark f.

I never really pick avatars that are somewhat intrinsically connected to me per se but with my new avatar arguments could be made as to the accuracy of the dimensions of homer's cerebrum to my own!!!!

Furthermore. Homer Jay is perhaps one of my greatest hero's.

I'm so sorry about Ulysses Mark... he was a beautiful kitty... hugs...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Welcome to the human race...

Seeing as my username was something I picked out of Metal Gear Solid 2, it just seemed to make complete and utter sense that I used an avatar of the game's protagonist, Solid Snake ("Iroquois" is the alias he goes by for a significant part of the game, and translates very roughly to "snake"). Occasionally, I change it to something completely different (such as Bud from Repo Man, for example) but I almost invariably return to a Snake-based avatar. After reading Yoda's post about how while he's not a huge Star Wars fan, he can still appreciate the real Yoda as a character with admirable principles, I'm getting the feeling that I feel the same way about Snake. He's something of a tortured soul - he's a lot like a replicant from Blade Runner, now that I think about it. As a genetically-engineered soldier, his sole reason for existing at all is to be a killing machine - yet he's far more than just that. He's a human being, subject to many of the same flaws as everyone else, but he still manages to rise above it, to challenge what should have been a monotonous life of mindless killing for the sake of something far greater. He has a soul, the capacity to feel, to love and hate and to change himself for the better. That's what I admire about him, and that's why he's usually my avatar.

Bud, on the other hand, is a totally different story...

Much like my way of avoiding being "tied" down to a "clock" that fits on your wrist. I believe the peasants call these things "watches" (I don't "do" time), I refuse to be chained to an avatar. And while I don't change mine as much as the Lady Destiny does I prefer to remain pensive and evasive so as to keep my enemies confused.

Dang Toosie... now you've got me self analyzing why I pick the avatars I do...

Seems like with the exception of the green eye that allthatglitters uses, these are the main ones I've used:

Plus there were a few more seasonal ones other than these that I've misplaced...

Hmmm...