Hotseat! Grill a MoFo: mark f

Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I give 12 Angry Men
, but that shouldn't make it sound like I don't think it's a great movie. If I give something that, it's basically equivalent to most people's
. I'm trying to think back to when I first watched the film and how I may have reacted. I was a teenager, but that would have been the early '70s. It was probably my introduction to how a jury might work, especially one where almost everybody sees the case as cut-and-dried. Of course, I understood it was a melodrama where everyone slightly exaggerates their words and acting for dramatic effect. It's still filmed "realistically", so it gets to have it both ways as a realistic drama and a highly-theatrical experience.

The other jurors want Juror #3 to convince them...

The real key to 12 Angry Men's success is Reginald Rose's tightly-wound script, which provides all the jurors with their own flaws and personalities and starts them on a path due east. Then as the film slowly reveals all the flaws and personalities of the people we've never seen (those mentioned at or testifying during the trial), the semblance of doubt begins to take root in more than just one juror's mind, and the path seems to shift ever so subtly until near the end, the jury appears to be heading due west. It's all left to the viewer to decide how they would vote and how they may change their opinion based on the pieces of evidence being examined throughout the film. As far as I'm concerned, the strongest scene in the film the first time I watched it remains the most memorable one to me still: the scene where Juror #8 produces the knife. Besides being the centerpiece of the script, it's also Sidney Lumet's best-directed scene.

Another thanks to another response.

As far as I'm concerned, the strongest scene in the film the first time I watched it remains the most memorable one to me still: the scene where Juror #8 produces the knife. Besides being the centerpiece of the script, it's also Sidney Lumet's best-directed scene.
Agreed. In a film with so many powerful, cinematic scenes, that one--the knife scene--stands out as the strongest. However, one that comes close, in my opinion, is the scene in which Juror #3 directly contradicts himself about the old man's testimony; how he kept going back to what the old man said he saw, using it as evidence against Juror #8's claims, but then--when one of the other jurors conflicts with a minute detail--Juror #3 says something like "He was an old man! Half the time he was confused; how could he be positive about anything?!" It's then that we get a glimpse into a previously hidden character flaw, as you described, within Juror #3 himself. That's probably my favorite scene in the movie, even moreso than the knife scene. The utter silence that directly follows #3's outburst is incredible, and for something so, well...silent, it says so much.

My Movie Review Thread | My Top 100

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
What is your favorite and least favorite movie in each of the following genre,

Action,
Horror,
Drama,
Sci-Fi?

Who is your favorite and least favorite movie charactor?

What is your favorite line from a movie?

What is your favorite and least favorite movie in each of the following genres:

Least Favorites: If they come to me, maybe I'll list them, but I'm too busy to waste my time right now.

Favorites:
Action - Raiders of the Lost Ark, that's the greatest action film ever made! Unless you count Jaws, of course.
Horror - Tough choices, I'd go with Rosemary's Baby, The Innocents, An American Werewolf in London and then The Exorcist and Alien. Those are the first five horror films I'd recommend to anyone. Of course, if you count Jaws as horror, that's leagues ahead...
Drama - WTF? If Jaws doesn't count, Elmer Gantry will rock your socks, and if you're too unredeemable for that, try Midnight Cowboy.
Sci-Fi - People think that Star Wars is Sci-Fi, and if you accept that, then yes, the 1977 Star Wars. However, it's really fantasy, a la The Wizard of Oz. Maybe the original Planet of the Apes doesn't qualify as sci-fi any more than Star Wars, but I'd go with that if it does. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Who is your favorite and least favorite movie character? Favorite is probably Chief Brody in Jaws tied with Elmer Gantry. Least fave - I don't really get into things which I hate, but if I can think of some, I'll check back.

What is your favorite line from a movie? - Too many to choose from. I'll list a few.

"You're gonna need a bigger boat." - Jaws
"Oh, he gave me special instructions back of the pulpit Christmas Eve. He got to howlin' "Repent! Repent!" and I got to moanin' "Save me! Save me!" and the first thing I know he rammed the fear of God into me so fast I never heard my old man's footsteps!" - Elmer Gantry
"John Wayne! Are you tryin' to tell me he's a fag?" - Midnight Cowboy

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
More Mofos

3 Funniest Mofo Members

3 Favourite Mofo film reviewers

3 Mofos that you always argue with

3 Mofos you you think about when you think of Movie Forums.

Suspect's Reviews

Am I allowed to repeat on these? If so, here goes (if not, I'll redo it):

3 Funniest Mofo Members - 7thson, Tacitus, Powdered Water

3 Favourite Mofo film reviewers - Yoda, Holden Pike (come back and review more often), Golgot (Special Award for 80's Trash From the Future by Used Future)

3 Mofos that you always argue with - rufnek, iluv2viddyfilms, Holden (mainly because we agree a lot, so it's fun when we argue)

3 Mofos you you think about when you think of Movie Forums - Caitlyn, Ðèstîñy, E.T.'s Daddy

I don't mean to slight anybody. I enjoy Iroquois', TheUsualSuspect's and meaty's personal takes in their reviews. I think that Sedai, nebbit and Sir Toose are totally unique presences here, as are many others. So, I'll just come back later and ask myself questions so I can mention more MoFos if necessary.

E.T.'s Daddy???
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

If you could be an animal what would you be and why?

Do you believe in god? Heaven? Hell? Reincarnation?

Do you believe in ghosts?

Do you believe in aliens?

When is the last time you cried and why?

What was the last lie you told?

If you could star in any movie what would it be and why?

Whats the worst movie you have ever seen?

What movie have you seen and liked but shouldnt admit to?

What is your biggest fear?

Whats the last thing to make you laugh?

Do you have any children?

Are you in a relationship?

Why are there currently so many remakes?

Whats the most embarressing thing to ever happen to you?

What is your fave game?

Why cant i think of more questions to grill you with?

Who is your fave MoFoer (old school)?

Who is your fave MoFoer (newbies)?

Welcome to the human race...
"John Wayne! Are you tryin' to tell me he's a fag?" - Midnight Cowboy

MILLER
John Wayne was a fag.

OLY
What'd you say?

MILLER
John Wayne was a fag.

REPO MEN
(in unison)
THE HELL HE WAS!

MILLER
He was too, you guys. I installed two-way mirrors in
his pad in Brentwood. He come to the door in a dress.

OLY
That doesn't mean he was a HOMO, Miller! A lot of
straight guys like to watch their buddies f***! I know
I do! Don't you?

PLETTSCHNER
Damn straight, I do!

If you could be an animal what would you be and why? I'd probably be a dolphin because I love to swim, and I could still be smart and warm-blooded.

Do you believe in god? Heaven? Hell? Reincarnation? I believe in God but I don't believe in what are considered the traditional concepts of Heaven and Hell. I believe the concepts have become skewed over the years to try to scare and control people. I don't believe in reincarnation although it's a poetic, spiritual way of supporting the Laws of Conservation of Matter and Energy.

Do you believe in ghosts? Only in literature, movies, music, etc.

Do you believe in aliens? I believe in the possiblity of aliens because if we're able to be here then they may well exist too. However, I haven't seen definitive proof, no matter how many strange things occur here on Earth.

When is the last time you cried and why? I cried watching Tell No One and The Straight Story last weekend because they both moved me. I was in enough pain to cry last night (I scraped up my leg horribly and bled all over the place), but the Advil kicked in so I didn't.

What was the last lie you told? It was either the last time I said I was an Underachieving Bum or the last time I denied it.

If you could star in any movie what would it be and why? From the perspective of living your life out in a movie, I think playing Dr. Praetorius in People Will Talk (1951) would be very rewarding in both my personal and professional life. Of course, he still has to deal with death and an attempted suicide. I was hoping to pick something where violence didn't run rampant, so that's why I didn't pick any of my fave fantasy flicks. If I was just going to be the star of a movie, I'd either play Elmer Gantry or Indiana Jones.

Whats the worst movie you have ever seen? Of recent years, I'd probably say Van Sant's Gerry. I have Resnais' Muriel in my Netflix queue to see if that's as bad as I recall. (It probably isn't.) I wouldn't usually rate the super crumbum Z-movies as that horrible, but I often say that The Creeping Terror is the most-incompetent film I've ever seen. It has a narrator tell you what the characters are saying and a giant carpet from outer space "eating" teenagers. Of course, it's so bad that you have to watch it for laughs.

What movie have you seen and liked but shouldnt admit to? I'm not afraid to say that I like the movies I like. Around here, maybe I'd say Showgirls.

What is your biggest fear? Probably that something bad will happen to my family and that I won't be able to do anything about it. Barring that, living life in unbearable pain; I hope that doesn't happen either, but I've seen it with family and friends a few times.

Whats the last thing to make you laugh? I laugh constantly at my cats acting crazy on a daily basis. I also laugh a lot with my daughter because I understand her so well, I can finish all her sentences for her when she struggles to find the right words. And vice versa. (It used to be that way with my wife but now it's even more so with my daughter.)

Do you have any children? I have an 18-year-old daughter named Sarah who will be going to the USC School of Cinematic Arts beginning in August.

Are you in a relationship? I've been married to Brenda for over 21 1/2 years now, and we continue to relate in multiple ways.

Why are there currently so many remakes? Pandering to the youth market, creative bankruptcy in Hollywood, plagiarism, Asian cinema, the attempt to turn older movies into video games for the big screen.

Whats the most embarrassing thing to ever happen to you? I spent much of my early life shy and self-conscious but I can't really remember anything that truly embarrassing. The second half of my life, I've gotten more outgoing, so I turn anything which probably could have become embarrassing into a joke or a way to have a few laughs with whoever else is around. That's not to say that I haven't made an ass of myself walking through a screen door or accidentally putting a hole in a friend's house with their doorknob, but I wasn't the only one having a "good time" when those happened.

What is your fave game? I'd say Bridge, a perfect game.

Why cant i think of more questions to grill you with? You need to catch your second wind, plus it's your birthday.

Who is your fave MoFoer (old school)? Fave? I don't know if it's fair to have a fave but Caitlyn for her friendliness and Holden because I've known him the longest.

Who is your fave MoFoer (newbies)? Excluding sarah f, young newbie would probably be Swan because in many ways he seems a lot like I was about 35 years ago. Old newbie could be HarryLime because he seems to be a peacemaker and we seem to have similar tastes.

Once again, if you aren't mentioned it's not because I'm forgetting you. Some of these are too difficult to answer properly.

What do you believe to be the most profound thing a person has ever said?

What do you believe to be the funniest thing a person has ever said?

(heh heh heh)

What are the first five things you would do with a million dollars?

1. I realize that this is selfish, but I need a body overhaul of some kind. There are too many parts of me which have moved from where they once were or just keep getting in the way of other parts, so maybe I'm in need of a major removal of my torso.

2. Put enough money to pay off Sarah's college in my Upromise account.

3. Make a down payment on whatever house Brenda wants to live in.

4. Make sure that everybody I know who needs one (that's about five people) has a decent car to get around in, nothing fancy or brand new but no clunkers either.

5. I'd donate what I could to my favorite charity, the Orange County Rescue Mission. That's the place where people can find a hot meal and a place to sleep. If I time my donation, I could give $50,000 at a time when they get a matching donation from somebody really rich, so that would push it up to $100,000.

What do you believe to be the most profound thing a person has ever said?

Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts. - Albert Einstein

What do you believe to be the funniest thing a person has ever said?

Why am I so good at playing bitches? I think it's because I'm not a bitch. Maybe that's why Miss Crawford always plays ladies. - Bette Davis