Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Very nice. It was the most aesthetically rich movie of the director. Most of its appeal to me are in its depiction of the lost world of European civilization before the cataclism of the 20th century. 8/10

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (2019) by Quentin Tarantino

A pretty empty movie with bad metoo comments. One of the worst movies i have seen from Tarantino.

The Phantom of the Opera (1925) by Rupert Julian

A really beautiful film which reminded me of German expressionism.

Hereditary - 2018
-

A family that inherited a satanic cult, being hunted by Paimon, a satanic figure that hunts there children's to reach physical heyday. The acting by the four members of this family is superb, reached the highest levels, especially the mother, Toni Collette. The dinner scene is really something, the silences before the storm. Liked the opinion of Martin Scorsese on this film, at Films at Lincoln Center, you can find it on YouTube.

Midsommar - 2019
+

Midsommar, from the creators of Hereditary that I rate above, is not meant to be frightening, like I believe most horror films try to, this is meant to be traumatic and surreal. The cinematography and the girl are the ones that support your emotional bag in this film, the girl having lost everything, being afraid of losing what's left, the cinematography tranquilizes a sheep before slaughter, in our case, the audience, shocking violence. I believe the author tried to make the audience understand what can lead people to join such cults. I think this is the most unappealing I've ever felt of Nordic women's, Jesus Almighty.

The Night Stalker 1972 Directed by John Llewellyn Moxey (TV Movie)

An investigative reporter takes a stab at the supernatural.
Simple, short run time, Classic Horror / Noir (not sure if it's a noir actually).
Narrated by the main character. Great suspenseful late night entertainment, I recommend it to Horror, Noir and old school crime detective lovers, and less of a recommendation to the gore blood and slash lovers.

+

Watching the follow up The Night Strangler 1973 next.

I took it more as an analogy of a painful break up after inconsolable grief.
Well, psychologically might be accurate, I don't really know, but that's how I see it as well. I saw the film half awaken, half asleep, the cinematography made me watch the film to be honest, and the shocking parts awaken me as well, and I'm not really good formulating opinions, my brain doesn't work like that, I have to sleep on it, think about it, and this film was not something I wanted to sleep on. There's two things that made understand it like this, one is how everyone in the commune replicated the pain of a individual as a group, and the scene where Pelle was taking with Dani, about understanding what she fells and how that commune made him forget what he had also experienced.

!st re-watch...Casey Affleck's gut-wrenching, Oscar-winning performance anchors this riveting tragedy that seemed even better the second time around. Kenneth Lonergan's brilliant Oscar-winning screenplay methodically unfolds the story of a social hermit who is forced to re-visit his tragic past after his brother's death. Lonergan's screenplay smoothly unfolds out of sequence without being too jarring and his direction is focused and sensitive. The scene depicted in the poster above actually moved me to tears and the rest of the film had me fighting them. Robbed of the 2016 Oscar for Best Picture.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I agree that both La La Land and Manchester were robbed and are way better films than Moonlight. That one still pissed me off.

I agree that both La La Land and Manchester were robbed and are way better films than Moonlight. That one still pissed me off.
Which of those two would you have chosen? I'm guessing La La Land because it's in your profile favorites.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Which of those two would you have chosen? I'm guessing La La Land because it's in your profile favorites.
La La but it's super close. Manchester was in my last official top 10 as well, and it's like basically 11-15 somewhere in that range.

Re-watch of a classic movie. 24 year old Tom holding his own against an icon - 61 year old Newman. And Tom did almost all his own pool shots. No surprise there.

Simple, short run time, Classic Horror / Noir (not sure if it's a noir actually).
Narrated by the main character. Great suspenseful late night entertainment, I recommend it to Horror, Noir and old school crime detective lovers, and less of a recommendation to the gore blood and slash lovers.

+[/center]

Watching the follow up The Night Strangler 1973 next.[/quote]

Seen some of the TV episodes, they are pretty out there!!!

I watched a couple of silent films partly because i was inspired by our pre-1930 list and partly because i am alone on holiday in Athens. My favorite of the two was the soviet movie The New Babylon and Underworld by Josef von Sternberg was quite disappointing, though it had its moments (especially the last gunfight).

Underworld (1927) by Josef von Sternberg

+

Novyy Vavilon (The New Babylon) (1929) by Grigori Kozintsev and Leonid Trauberg

+

Shadows: Peronik (TV, 1976) 3/10

I had high hopes for this but it never came together properly. Too stagey, with teenagers that end up sounding posher than their parents, sometimes due to the dialogue.

Notwithstanding, I thought Paul Aston was good in the lead role of Tom, and I discovered that I had seen him before, playing a conscientious objector in The Duchess of Duke Street. Zelah Clarke, very good as Tom's girlfriend, appeared in another memorable episode the same year.

The best things here for me were Tom's illustrations of this particular Grail legend – really fantastic; the disturbing radiophonic music for the legend impinging on real life (this reminded me massively of the Doctor Who story The Rescue (1965). Its incidental music, by Tristram Cary, was so versatile that it was used many times during the early years of the show, much like Alexander Courage's music stood up to multiple uses on Star Trek); and the idea of Tom hallucinating Arthurian scenes on a TV screen.

Driven
(2018)

Driven covers a good story, but the problem is that they just couldn't TELL it. I almost shut it off after 20 minutes, but decided to watch it to the end. It did get a little better when they focused on the suspense. The outline was good, but the writing (especially the dialogue), and the acting were barely "B" grade. Both Jason Sudeikis (Hoffman), and Corey Stoll (FBI agent) way over acted; whereas Lee Pace (DeLorean) was wooden and amateurish. Pace certainly looked the part, but between the writing and his tepid acting, the character was barely believable.

This might be an instance of a bunch of companies kicking in to pool some low-risk dough in order to spread out the investment, which ended up producing a mediocre picture. More expensive writer and actors would have helped. I thought it was interesting that the Puerto Rico DeLorean club evidently lent out the DMC car for the production, but they stated if they'd seen the script first, they wouldn't have lent it out..

Doc's rating: 5/10

Toy Story 4 (2019)

Finally a Pixar Movie worthy of the hype. Why? Because it was relatively more sophisticated than their earlier movies. It had several relatively complex characters with well constructed motivations and without being dehumanized villains or simplistic heroes. The humor was also smarter than in previous Pixar movies and they actually started to really explore the absurdity of its fantastical world (such as grappling with the concept of how sentient toys become sentient). Overall the best Pixar movie since UP or perhaps even the best of all as it has their strengths without their weaknesses.