Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

In the Shadow of the Moon (2019)

Another bad Netflix movie. It's story is logically flawed, its twists are very predictable and its whole concept is built on extremely black and white view of the world (which doesn't matter in certain kinds of films but feels childish in ones that pretend to delve in moral matters). Below average even for a time travel film

I watched I Origin sometime ago, didn't like it:
You mentioned Cahill's Another Earth. I wonder if that's where they got the idea for the series Counterpart, with J.K. Simmons?

You mentioned Cahill's Another Earth. I wonder if that's where they got the idea for the series Counterpart, with J.K. Simmons?
Geez, I don't know, it could be. Have you seen Another Earth? If so, your thoughts?

Geez, I don't know, it could be. Have you seen Another Earth? If so, your thoughts?
Yes, I watched it last night. Overall the cast, acting, special effects, and photography were well done. And I enjoyed the ending.

But the notion of a duplicate Earth and Moon suddenly appearing in our solar system was so preposterous that it took a good 30 minutes or so of following the film to forget about the initial absurdity. Astrological impossibilities are acceptable in a super hero, straight sci/fi, or comic film; but in a more serious film, such as this one, it didn't sit right with me.

I did enjoy the underlying suspense and plot development, although it was hard to swallow that the girl could spend that much time from the git-go in service to the male protagonist without revealing her purpose.

Based strictly on this picture from 2011 and I Origins from 2014, I'd say that director/writer Mike Cahill is heading in the right direction. I'll have to investigate films that he's done since. Looks like he's done most of his work with, and starring, his lady Brit Marling, so it remains to be seen whether or not that will be a benefit or a limiting factor... I see the new one he's working on (Bliss) is without Marling.

~Doc

But the notion of a duplicate Earth and Moon suddenly appearing in our solar system was so preposterous that it took a good 30 minutes or so of following the film to forget about the initial absurdity. Astrological impossibilities are acceptable in a super hero, straight sci/fi, or comic film; but in a more serious film, such as this one, it didn't sit right with me.
What an odd criticism. There are plenty of serious sci fi films with 'preposterous' ideas.

Besides, the plot point is almost a subtext mechanism to push on the notions of guilt, second chances and death etc etc etc

You mean me? Kei's cousin?
Got a Miyazaki marathon brewing over here...

The Castle of Cagliostro (1979) - Rewatch on Netflix

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (1984) - Rewatch on Blu-ray

Castle in the Sky (1986) - Rewatch on Blu-ray

Excellent documentary about the late haute couture dress designer Alexander McQueen.

What an odd criticism. There are plenty of serious sci fi films with 'preposterous' ideas.

Besides, the plot point is almost a subtext mechanism to push on the notions of guilt, second chances and death etc etc etc
Try not to misconstrue my words. I never said AE was a "serious sci-fi movie". Straight sci-fi movies support preposterous ideas. This was a serious dramatic film which to my taste was made slightly inane and awkward by the introduction of a solar system impossibility.

You, of course, are entitled to your own opinion.

My guess is that Cahill simply wanted to spin this rather trite story in an other-worldly way, which is his penchant.

~Doc

Peppermint (2018)

In short - this is a female version of the Punisher (which itself was a comic book version of Death Wish) with Jennifer Garner in the lead role.
So if you like revenge / vigilante movies, you'd probably like this.
One twist in the plot, otherwise fairly predictable.
Adequately exciting & action packed. Quite decent for your familiar action / revenge / vigilante movie.

Circus Kane [2017]

Haunt [2019]

Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

I recently watch batmen movie on Netflix, I like the role of joker.