Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The trick is not minding
Is Paris Burning? 2 1/2 stars
What a disappointment. Started off well, but the what appears to be stock footage of the actual liberation of Paris and the many characters (some who have little screen time) get in the way of it. Fun fact, Francis Ford Coppola co wrote the screenplay.

Kurutta ippêji [A Page Of Madness] (Teinosuke Kinugasa, 1926)
+ (rewatch might see a half-box higher)
More than just a page I'd say

Probably called firecracker because everytime someone gets hit during a fight it sounds like someone lit off a pack of firecrackers. POW-POW-POWPOW-POW. A martial arts film where the heroine (a black belt) goes to an Asian city to find her missing sister which inevitably leads to her discovering a Mafia led drug ring and a martial arts tournament to the death. She investigates and kicks ass (no mention of bubble gum, but I'm fairly certain that she's out of it). Sometimes, while fighting, she slowly loses articles of clothing until... yep, naked Kung Fu (that's probably where the alternate title Naked Fist comes from.) For what it is, a bad movie, it's not too bad.

The Poison Rose (2019)

This is a "B" picture with "A" potential. If you're a fan of '40s noir, as am I, the mood and style are very appealing.

Starring John Travolta and Morgan Freeman, the story set in 1978 is accompanied by frequent narration from Travolta's character, a former football star who is now a private eye. He's hired to leave L.A. and return to his former home town --Galveston-- in order to investigate a missing persons case in a city now controlled by underworld chief Morgan Freeman, which leads to plenty of dirty dealing and plot twists.

The story and development are interesting enough, but some of the dialogue and presumably the directing are what let this movie down. Travolta, who's been in some stinkers, is surprisingly believable in his role as a PI with a Texas accent. Freeman, in his 50th role this year, is first rate as always; and manages to take a trite character and make him interesting.

There is fine character acting from Brendan Fraser, who plays a creepy drug dealing psychiatrist; and from Peter Stormare as "Slide".

Although there are several groaner moments in the film, it holds one's interest. With better direction and fewer "chiefs", this could have been a much better picture.

Doc's rating: 5.5/10

I gave this the same rating you did, I think...without Emma Thompson, this would have been intolerable.
It was a 'meh' movie overall. Nothing special about it. Way too overrated by critics.

I'm not a big Emma Thompson fan, but she is alright in it, and Mindy Kaling doesn't strike me as a great actress, particularly a lead actress.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

It was a 'meh' movie overall. Nothing special about it. Way too overrated by critics.

I'm not a big Emma Thompson fan, but she is alright in it, and Mindy Kaling doesn't strike me as a great actress, particularly a lead actress.
I'm not an Emma Thompson freak either, I'mo just saying that she was really the only thing that kept me watching.

Ben Hur: A Tale Of The Christ (Fred Niblo, Charles Brabin, Christy Cabanne, J.J. Cohn & Rex Ingram, 1925)
+
Probably most remembered for where Judah and 'is chariot earn way more than thirty pieces of silver though

BANNED
the universe watches all of us

or they did

Ad Astra (2019)

I might be rating this too early, because I feel like my rating could go up or down considerably in the next few days thinking about this movie. It was beautifully shot, but the plot didn't grip me like it should have. It borrowed elements from movies like Interstellar and Blade Runner, but it didn't seem to really follow through on standing on it's own.

The trick is not minding
Hollywood on Trial. (1976).
This is a fantastic documentary about the Hollywood blacklist and its repercussions, with actual interviews with many of those involved. Great documentary, nominated for an Oscar in that category.
4 stars
For those interested, it’s on amazon prime

Welcome to the human race...
Joker -

Trying to remember the last time so much fuss got made over a film so uninteresting.

Unregistered User

Call Me By Your Name (2017)

This is far from the films I would usually watch and enjoy so I wasn't really expecting much. Only ever seen Chalamet once, in Beautiful Boy (in which he was amazing) and was never a fan of Hammer but I thought this was truly exceptional. Both actors were fantastic, along with Stuhlbarg, who's speech at the end was something else. The whole movie felt so authentic, from the setting to the soundtrack. What a great film.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
Ad Astra (2019)

I might be rating this too early, because I feel like my rating could go up or down considerably in the next few days thinking about this movie. It was beautifully shot, but the plot didn't grip me like it should have. It borrowed elements from movies like Interstellar and Blade Runner, but it didn't seem to really follow through on standing on it's own.
I've had movie thurst for a while and this seemed like a good choice to end the drought. Unfortunately, nobody is talking about it. Your sentiment seems to mirror what I heard. "Looks amazing, uninspired."