Thief and Yoda on The Movie Loot podcast

Tools    

Big thanks to @Thief for having me on, had a fun, wide-ranging discussion, not that I'm capable of having any other kind. From his thread:

I'm so happy to finally share this episode of my podcast... my last guest episode of The Movie Loot features none other than @Yoda talking with me about the films that have been brought to us by the new millennium! So, more or less in tune with our current countdown, check it out to hear our thoughts on what the last 23 years have brought us.

The Movie Loot 75: The Millennium Loot (with Chris Bowyer)

You can check it out on the above link, or although it hasn't populated there yet, on any of these podcasting platforms: Spotify, Apple Podcasts, or any other. Thanks for the support!

A system of cells interlinked
WOAH!

Must listen immediately!

EDIT: My first thought as the episode started...

"Man, I have talked to Chris many times, and I don't recall him sounding so much like Scorsese!"

"Oh...."

Thanks to Chris for agreeing to this. I had so much fun talking with him. Hope we can do it again at some point.

Nice job, guys. Thinks for sharing.

If given the task of naming five movies from this century so far that I love and/or think should be highlighted... 5) Amélie, 4) Incendies, 3) Dancer in the Dark, 2) Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada, and 1) La La Land. And as for a few random other mentions I'd add Wonder Boys, Hunt for the Wilderpeople, and Green Room.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Great call. Wonder Boys is lovely, I rewatched it a couple of months ago. Not sure if it'd have been on my list if I'd thought of it, but it would've been close, at least. It definitely doesn't get enough attention.

And Thief, I see you recently reviewed Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome which means you can finally get around to Mad Max: Fury Road!

We don't need another hero, Raggedy Man.

And Thief, I see you recently reviewed Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome which means you can finally get around to Mad Max: Fury Road!

We don't need another hero, Raggedy Man.

I already saw Fury Road Review will be up in the next days

Cool cast guys. Love lists so this was up my alley. Like Yoda, I haven’t thought about Syriana much since seeing it when it came out. You made me want to watch it again. I am always up for some extended Wes Anderson talk and Zissou being so personal to Yoda is cool to hear.

Cool cast guys. Love lists so this was up my alley. Like Yoda, I haven’t thought about Syriana much since seeing it when it came out. You made me want to watch it again. I am always up for some extended Wes Anderson talk and Zissou being so personal to Yoda is cool to hear.
Thanks for listening. If you like lists, then check out the back catalogue. I've done episodes on zombie films, Hitchcock, Kubrick, westerns, and many more, so there might be something that interests you.

I forgot what my 2000's ballot was, but I know The Death of Mr. Lazarescu was my number one pick. The Return and Pan's Labyrinth were the next couple spots, I believe.

I forgot what my 2000's ballot was, but I know The Death of Mr. Lazarescu was my number one pick. The Return and Pan's Labyrinth were the next couple spots, I believe.
Not a bad memory - your 2000s ballot

This has appeared on Prime recently, so I will finally get a chance to watch it, sans wife of course, as she "hates musicals," except for all the ones she loves.

Nice job, guys. Thinks for sharing.

If given the task of naming five movies from this century so far that I love and/or think should be highlighted... 5) Amélie, 4) Incendies, 3) Dancer in the Dark, 2) Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada, and 1) La La Land. And as for a few random other mentions I'd add Wonder Boys, Hunt for the Wilderpeople, and Green Room.
I wasn't crazy about Amélie, but it has charm and it's a visually stunning film. Incendies is great, but I have a couple Villeneuve films I like more; and La La Land was a nice surprise, cause I was ready for something more Oscar-baity, but it was more somber than I expected. Good one. Wonder Boys is one that I haven't seen since it came out. I barely remember it.

Haven't seen Dancer in the Dark or Three Burials, although I've been meaning to catch up with both. Burials is one that piqued my interest when it came up in the 2000s countdown. I actually think you gave a lot of praise to it and I really enjoyed what you wrote about it.

For the longest time I kept reading this as Green Book and I was wondering how the **** that movie ended up being listed with the rest of these actually great movies (haven't seen La La Land)

I really enjoyed listening to both of you lads. Have kept Square on my watch list now.
Unless Yoda has Hermoine's Time Tuner, I don't know how the hell he finds the time to do all the things which he does?
I can relate to Thief watching movies connected to a franchise/characters in order.

I really enjoyed listening to both of you lads. Have kept Square on my watch list now.
Unless Yoda has Hermoine's Time Tuner, I don't know how the hell he finds the time to do all the things which he does?
I can relate to Thief watching movies connected to a franchise/characters in order.
Thanks for listening and for joining me in my obsessive franchise watching practices

I did manage to get LA LA Land in over the weekend, and while, as expected, my wife was not a fan, I adored it, and will certainly watch it again as soon as i get the chance. Not sure I would have immediately put it on my ballot if I got it in just before ballot deadline, but it certainly has the potential to become one of my favorites of the decade after a couple of more watches and some time going by. Fantastic, creative stuff!

Even my musical disliking, jazz-hating wife was stopped in her tracks by the planetarium scene.

"OK I must admit, that was one of the best scenes in a movie I have seen in years."

She wasn't in the room for the scene that actually addressed hating jazz - wish she caught that one!