MovieGal's October Horror Watch

→ in
Tools    

Lol I always enjoy Sam Neill movies except one you all love. I did not like Possession.
I can't believe you didn't like Possession. It is so weird.

I can't believe you didn't like Possession. It is so weird.
Yeah ppl make fun of the fact I like his other film Szamanka.

TBH, I'm 55 years old and don't love every horror film from the 70s and 80s.

My horror/extreme cinema has became more my go to as I got older.

Talking to a cinema friend today and found out The August Underground films have been banned. WTF!!!!

What can I say about del Toro? He's an amazing storyteller. I am a fan of almost every single one of his films. His dark sense adds texture to his stories. This film is one of the best foreign language horror films of all time.
I really love The Devil's Backbone. The way the stories come together makes it my favorite of his films.

Plus I don't mind a bit of eye candy with Eduardo Noriega.
I bet you've seen Tesis, but have you seen Plata Quemada?

I really love The Devil's Backbone. The way the stories come together makes it my favorite of his films.

I bet you've seen Tesis, but have you seen Plata Quemada?
I have seen Tesis and a few others. Love him in El Lobo. I haven't seen Plata Quemada.Very odd though, years ago my friend in Argentina and I would watch films together and I have come to love Ricardo Darin. I'm surprised we didn't watch Burnt Money. Maybe I will after October.

I have seen Tesis and a few others. Love him in El Lobo. I haven't seen Plata Quemada. Very odd though, years ago my friend in Argentina and I would watch films together and I have come to love Ricardo Darin. I'm surprised we didn't watch Burnt Money. Maybe I will after October.
Yeah, it's not horror, but it's a pretty good crime thriller.

Flænset
(2000)
3/5
Country of Origin: Denmark
Language: Danish
Lists: Foreign Horror

Jan, a successful man, married to a beautiful wife, finds out his wife is cheating on him, which causes him to go mad. He goes on a rampage and kills her lover and kidnaps a woman he picks up on the side of the road. He brings the woman back to his home, takes his wife's dead lover's body and hangs it outside the window for his wife to see. Then he forces the kidnapped woman to kill his wife, then rapes her. Two police officers show up at his home and they both meet their end. Jan claims the woman he kidnapped is now his wife and chains her up, feeding her pieces of his victims. The kidnapped woman plays along with being his wife and while having sex, she tries stabbing him with the knife that he forced her to use on his wife but is overpowered by him as he is choking her but she is able to get one good stab to hurt him. He collapses on her, covering her with blood. She is finally able to escape from the carnage. She proceeds to burn his body as she walks away into the morning sun.

This was a random find for me years ago. I have only seen it a few times but was able to buy the DVD recently. It's low budget and the storyline isn't very good but it's a great watch full of gore and the unthinkable. It stars two of Denmark's greatest actors, Thomas Bo Larsen and Lars Mikkelsen.

Bedevilled
(2010)
3.5/5
Country of Origin: South Korea
Language: Korean
Link : Foreign Horror

Kim Bok-nam and Hae-won had been friends since childhood when Hae-won would go to a little island off the coast of South Korea to visit her Grandfather. As an adult, Hae-won lives in Seoul and has a job in the financial industry. One day, she witnesses a woman being assaulted by a few young men, her job at the financial institution becomes stressful and she is forced to take a vacation. She decides to visit her friend on the small island, who is now married and has a 10-year-old daughter. She notices that her friend Kim Bok-nam's husband and his family are very abusive to her mentally and physically. Her husband has sex with a prostitute from the mainland while she watches. Her brother-in-law rapes her every time her husband is away. She's fearing that her husband is sexually assaulting her daughter, who was conceived by gang rape, and is unsure who the father is. Kim Bok-nam is fed up and wants to take her daughter and leave for the mainland. The morning that she leaves, her husband and her family come after her before she can reach the boat. He drags his wife by the hair and her daughter is kicking and screaming while his aunts look on, urging him to abuse her so she will never leave again. When the Harbor Master comes to investigate the girl's death, his aunts and brothers lie to hide the fact that he killed the girl. The Harbor Master asks Hae-won, who denies knowing anything. The day, her husband and his brothers leave the island. Kim Bok-nam is fed up and begins to kill off each aunt using harvesting tools. Hae-won witnesses the acts but does very little to stop Kim Bok-nam. Kim Bok-nam begins to kill her husband's brothers. Her husband is able to subdue her and takes control of her actions. She argues with him about him abusing her daughter. Hae-won threatened to tell the mainland authorities about his abuse of both his wife and her daughter. He slaps her and tells Kim Bok-nam that he will kill her and take her friend as his wife. He puts a knife to her throat and she begins to lick and suck on his finger, which arouses him and she begins to bite his finger. He gets angry and slaps her. As he gets a knife to kill her, she stabs him in the stomach and kills him as her friend watches on. Hae-won turns and runs to the boat to return to the mainland as Kim Bok-name slices her husband up.

I saw this film 10+ years ago and twice since then. I remember it being very good and this did not let me down. At first, it feels like a drama and about 3/4 way through the film its starts to get very violent. Of course, things like rape and physical abuse is violent to begin but the blood starts to pour at that point.

I didn't love Bedevilled (my rating would be the same as yours), but I liked it well enough. Like you say, the intensity really takes a turn in the last act.

I didn't love Bedevilled (my rating would be the same as yours), but I liked it well enough. Like you say, the intensity really takes a turn in the last act.
Yeah, it was a good rewatch.

Moebius
(2013)
3.5/5
Country of Origin: South Korea
Language: No dialog
List: Foreign Horror

A husband and wife are in an unhappy marriage. One night, the wife and the teenage son, at separate places, witness the husband with his mistress having sex. Later that night, the enraged wife attempts to cut off her husband's penis. Her husband thwarts her attempt but the wife goes into her son's bedroom and castrates him while he's sleeping. The husband hearing the son scream comes in as his wife shoves the severed penis in her mouth, in an attempt to eat it. The husband, full of guilt, helps his son to come to grips with what has happened to him and begins to research penile implantation. His schoolmates notice the missing piece and proceed to harass him until a gang of young men comes to his aid against the school bullies. The gang including the teenage son raped a young woman who works in a store. They are captured by the police and put in jail, where the gang members attempt to molest the son. The father begins to break down and continues to rub the top of his foot with a hard stone until the skins peals away. Later, the father visits the son in jail and hands him a sheet of paper, that shows acts of mutilation to gain pleasure. The son proceeds to cut his arm to gain that pleasure. After the son is released from jail, he continues to use sadomasochism as a form of release. The son returns to the store where the young woman works and asks for her forgiveness while she, in rage at what happened, stabs him with a knife in the shoulder. She begins to undress as he uses the knife as a form of release. She grabs the knife and proceeds to give a release for herself and the son. The woman at the store appears at the time of the jail release of the gang leader. She invites him back and gets him drunk, while the son looks on. She, herself, castrates the leader as the son holds him down. The son grabs the discarded penis and runs down the street, with the gang leader chasing after him, where cars continue to run over the body part. The other gang member comes back and begins to abuse the woman while the son stabs him in the shoulder. The son and father found an article online where the penile reattachment process has been successful in the United States. They visit a surgeon who is able to help the son gain back his manhood. He visits the woman, who he has been exacting revenge to the gang, helps him with his recovery in a way to see if it is working properly. His mother comes to visit, while drunk and passes out. Once she awakes, she begins to arouse her son. She realized that the implant was from her husband's own penis. The son and the young woman continue their relationship, while his own mother tries to begin one with her own son. The father tries to intervene but the mother continues her pursuit and succeeds. The son feels ashamed for what his mother has done. The father, enraged this time, attempts to casterate his son for what he did with his own mother. The mother attempts again to seduce her son but the father attempts to have sex with his wife, which fails. He then shoots her and himself, leaving their son on his own. Cursed with what has taken place, the son shoots his own groin area and is left without a penis again.

This is my second viewing but it has been more than 10 years since I first watched it. I didn't recall that it was a non-dialog film but I think the ability to act and portray a scene without words is a stroke of genius. In a way, the director, Kim Ki-Duk, along with others like Lars Von Trier and the directors of the New French Extremity, are geniuses in their own crafts. Its like a mash of deSade and Ki-Duk type of film!

This film is definitely the type of @Mr Minio and @Rockatansky.

Sadomasochism?!? Penile reattachment?!? Seducing her son?!?

*adds to watchlist*

Sadomasochism?!? Penile reattachment?!? Seducing her son?!?

*adds to watchlist*
I enjoy this stuff as I am a fan of deSade's work. He was highly intelligent but one sick mofo. and not movieforum member.

I forgot the opening line.
Andrew Chan of the Film Critics Circle of Australia writes, "To call Moebius daring is actually an understatement, as it is more than that, it is a film that will haunt you, lingers with you and perhaps disturb you till you never think about it again"
Sounds like Moebius makes Antichrist look like Mary Poppins.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Sounds like Moebius makes Antichrist look like Mary Poppins.
I love both about the same. I'm a Von Trier fan and proud of it!

Victim of The Night

The Devil's Backbone
(2001)
4/5
Country of Origin: Spain
Language: Spanish
Links: Foreign Horror, Guillermo del Toro

What can I say about del Toro? He's an amazing storyteller. I am a fan of almost every single one of his films. His dark sense adds texture to his stories. This film is one of the best foreign language horror films of all time.
I agree, I still think this is Del Toro's best film.

I didn't notice until skimming the movie you're watching tonight that Moebius is a Kim Ki-Duk film. I've only seen Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring and 3-Iron.

For some reason his films have a reputation of being misanthropic. Based on only those two movies, I just kind of had to scratch my head at that.

I see no one in mentioning scat in their responses (I skipped a lot of the summary because it sounded like a lot spoiler-ish talk). I'll make a mental note to maybe someday watch this one.

I didn't notice until skimming the movie you're watching tonight that Moebius is a Kim Ki-Duk film. I've only seen Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring and 3-Iron.

For some reason his films have a reputation of being misanthropic. Based on only those two movies, I just kind of had to scratch my head at that.

I see no one in mentioning scat in their responses (I skipped a lot of the summary because it sounded like a lot spoiler-ish talk). I'll make a mental note to maybe someday watch this one.
There was no scat in the film.

Cursed with what has taken place, the son shoots his own groin area and is left without a penis again.
"So at the end of the film he's left penniless?"

"No, that's not quite what I said . . ."

"So at the end of the film he's left penniless?"

"No, that's not quite what I said . . ."
Lol Tak, you made me check because of spell check.