The Guitar Guild

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Touching story. I hope you find someone to do it justice one day.

I still have my original electric guitar that my parents bought me for my 16th birthday. Even though I have a collection of guitars that are quite expensive, this starter guitar was probably relatively cheap in comparison. I still play it today and even though I have sold a couple of guitars in the past for better models, this I could never part with. 26 years I’ve had the guitar for. It’s the black Strat pictured earlier on in this thread.

I can also thank my Dad for introducing me to some great Delta blues players. Robert Johnson, Skip James, Son House. I love the raw acoustic stuff.
Thanks, Thunder!
Always something very special about that first guitar. Nearly any guitarist I've ever known keeps a special place for that first one and you always hear the affection in their voice when they talk about it.

You ready? You look ready.
The Orange Crush Mini I ordered got lost in the mail, so I’m back to looking at what I want to do amp wise.

I went down to the local local shop today and was about to get a Rage 258 (I also considered the Bandit 112) when I eyed a 6505 amp head and cab covered in dust. No, no, I didn’t buy it but it stopped me from buying one of those combos because, long story short, he said he would knock the price down 25% for the 6505 head and cabinet.

I’m doing research now 😅

EDIT: I’d be an idiot if I bought that 6505 head/cab now, so it’s a toss up between the Rage and the Bandit. He’s pushing the Vypyr series pretty hard, but I dunno.

EDIT 2: Well, after everything I’ve read I will go with my first choice and get the Bandit 112. I can drive a cab with it later down the road, so I think it’s definitely the best choice to grow into and I just love that Peavey sound.

I’m surprised by some of the negative stuff I have read online. For their price point their stuff is built like a tank. I have the Max 112 bass amp and I just loooove the tone.

EDIT 3: I came home with the Bandit 112 today. You can even still see the shop dust!

The Orange Crush Mini I ordered got lost in the mail, so I’m back to looking at what I want to do amp wise.

I went down to the local local shop today and was about to get a Rage 258 (I also considered the Bandit 112) when I eyed a 6505 amp head and cab covered in dust. No, no, I didn’t buy it but it stopped me from buying one of those combos because, long story short, he said he would knock the price down 25% for the 6505 head and cabinet.

I’m doing research now 😅

EDIT: I’d be an idiot if I bought that 6505 head/cab now, so it’s a toss up between the Rage and the Bandit. He’s pushing the Vypyr series pretty hard, but I dunno.

EDIT 2: Well, after everything I’ve read I will go with my first choice and get the Bandit 112. I can drive a cab with it later down the road, so I think it’s definitely the best choice to grow into and I just love that Peavey sound.

I’m surprised by some of the negative stuff I have read online. For their price point their stuff is built like a tank. I have the Max 112 bass amp and I just loooove the tone.

EDIT 3: I came home with the Bandit 112 today. You can even still see the shop dust!

Nothing like a new piece of equipment to keep the guitar buzz going. Looks like you can blow your windows out with that thing.

Nothing like a new piece of equipment to keep the guitar buzz going. Looks like you can blow your windows out with that thing.
Oh yeah, most definitely. Thankfully it has a power level switch on the back (25%, 50%, and 100%), but even set at 25% it can get stupid, stupid loud. I was fiddling around with the tone options and damn near blew an eardrum out.

"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Oh yeah, most definitely. Thankfully it has a power level switch on the back (25%, 50%, and 100%), but even set at 25% it can get stupid, stupid loud. I was fiddling around with the tone options and damn near blew an eardrum out.

Yes my Katana has the same feature.

Yes my Katana has the same feature.
I had considered one of those but my teacher/local shop only carries Peavey. But I gotta say that I have been nothing but happy with their equipment and prices.

Although, I did accidentally stumble into a Marshall forum when I was researching the Bandit. Learned two things: those Marshall forum guys are some elitist ********, and I learned about the insult corksniffer.

I had considered one of those but my teacher/local shop only carries Peavey. But I gotta say that I have been nothing but happy with their equipment and prices.

Although, I did accidentally stumble into a Marshall forum when I was researching the Bandit. Learned two things: those Marshall forum guys are some elitist ********, and I learned about the insult corksniffer.
Looks seriously powerful. I love my Katana also. Knocks spots off my previous amps and at such a great price. They’re not that expensive at all.

Looks seriously powerful. I love my Katana also. Knocks spots off my previous amps and at such a great price. They’re not that expensive at all.
Yeah, it's seriously wayyy more than I need right now, but I'll grow into it. Better to learn with an amp I could use at a live show if I ever get good and get over my crippling fear of performing in front of others. Plus, it is a tank, so there's no reason it shouldn't last 15-20 years. It would have been far cheaper to buy a used one, but the used guitar gear in my area is either stupid expensive or cheap trash. Besides, I want to put my own scuffs/history on it.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I get mental blocks playing in front of others. You can know a song so well but performing infront of people can be a different ball game.

That's always been a weakness of mine. Back in high school concert band I'd drink a glass of water before we went on stage so that I'd focus more on my swelling bladder than the audience looking at us. =\

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

My first YouTube video 😅

@Sedai: Gunna get this memorized eventually!

Interesting, I just played that couple of days ago on Yousician. Their version is quite helpful to play along with.

This is not my video, btw.

Good job, yourself.

Ooo, cool thread. I started back in September. Initially on the cheapest crappiest, classical guitar that I got for free, but it was enough to give me the bug - something like this:

Then as I got into it I got myself a Squier Strat, which I love:

(not my photo but mine's identical)

And looking at getting a Yamaha FS830 in the new year:

If anyone is thinking of starting/has just begun I'd thoroughly recommend Justin Guitar, I'm working through his beginner grades and he's absolutely phenomenal: https://www.justinguitar.com/

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
I get mental blocks playing in front of others. You can know a song so well but performing infront of people can be a different ball game.

That's always been a weakness of mine. Back in high school concert band I'd drink a glass of water before we went on stage so that I'd focus more on my swelling bladder than the audience looking at us. =\
I’ve never had any desire to perform, but just like the cliche request of a comedian, people tend to ask you to play for them. Do something for me they cry!

Whenever we would have “weekends” I would bring my guitar around and even drag the amp along. Strictly for after-after hours weird. Like playing with the tire gauge and spoon extravaganza stuff.

During operating hours, patrons may have seen the Stepthru Martin or heard the tales and ask for a performance. Me being the well-adjusted person I am, did not tire of this immediately. What would happen is a skit, that I envision could be found on the cutting-room floor of Spinal Tap.

I would agree to perform and begin setting up. Tuning the guitar, adjusting the soap-bar pickup, adjusting the tone, peeling off a quick little burn to stoke the crowd....and then starting the process over again, insisting it wasn’t quite right, but I was gonna make sure it was purrfect, just for them 😏

It use to make me so happy, especially when the ones that knew what was gonna happen played along.

”Nap on the Floor (of the Liquor Store)” was about the best you could hope for.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I wrote a song for @Swan. Him being my best friend et al, I think he deserves a little mention. In this song I'm trying to show him my appreciation of our friendship through my substandard singing and guitar playing.

WARNING! The song contains profanity, although not directed at Swan but at that assh*le sadness.

https://vocaroo.com/19EeN7MkR58D
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Rearranged the groove cave so there’s more room to move around. Now I have 3 feet instead of one. 😅

If you have 3 feet spare squeeze in another new amp or guitar. 🙂 I love this thread.

Ooo, cool thread. I started back in September. Initially on the cheapest crappiest, classical guitar that I got for free, but it was enough to give me the bug - something like this:

Then as I got into it I got myself a Squier Strat, which I love:

(not my photo but mine's identical)

And looking at getting a Yamaha FS830 in the new year:

If anyone is thinking of starting/has just begun I'd thoroughly recommend Justin Guitar, I'm working through his beginner grades and he's absolutely phenomenal: https://www.justinguitar.com/
Once the bug of buying guitars starts it doesn’t stop.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Once the bug of buying guitars starts it doesn’t stop.
OMG YES.
Most of my friends have their financial obsessions over cars or guns. Mine? Music gear. I'm surprised I'm not homeless for it.