→ in
Tools    

January 15, 2016

Thale
(2012, Norway)
Directed by Aleksander Nordaas
6.75/10
Rewatch

Two men who occupation is to clean up after crime scenes come across a girl hidden away from the world. She isn't an ordinary girl but Huldra, a Norwegian forest creature. She was held by her captor for the purpose of medical experiments. Paramilitary men come to re-capture Thale and one by one, she and her huldra sisters kill them. Leaving the two younger men to survive.

Have you seen Jordskott? That might be something you'd like. It's another TV show, BTW, because as we all know, I don't watch films.

Have you seen Jordskott? That might be something you'd like. It's another TV show, BTW, because as we all know, I don't watch films.
I know you dont watch these films but thanks for your support with my thread... not many come here and read... or even care to see these films..

January 15, 2016

Når Dyrene Drømmer
(2014, Denmark)
Directed by Jonas Alexander Arnby
6.5/10
New Watch

A Danish Art House Werewolf story.

(Her father was played by Lars Mikkelsen, Mads' brother)

A nicely varied trio there MG.
All three sound interesting enough to look out for in case Film4 pick them up for broadcast.

This looks like my cup of tea. I first became aware of the Huldra from the Doctor Who audio drama Project: Lazarus.

Good recommendation HK. As you know I loved Jordskott. Thought it was creepy, atmospheric and claustrophobic. You'd prob like it MG. The length of time in tv series give a much better ability to develop characters. Like HK I find myself watching much more tv than films these days, specially now we have quite a few European series on British tv too, there's been some brilliant ones.

I'm keeping up with your thread MG.
Personally I love the sense of humour in Skandi films. The ones I've enjoyed in the past tend towards the ones with offbeat characters such as Kitchen Stories, Noi The Albino , O'Horten - films like that, and the films of Aki Kaurismäki

Missed Jordskott here
Out of interest what channel was it on??

It was on ITV Encore. I know. That's why you missed it.
Yep, that'd be why we missed it ... don't have that channel and not even sure it's an option with our provider anyway.

January 16, 2016

Sauna
(2008, Finland)
Directed by Antti-Jussi Annila
8.5/10
Rewatch

One of my favorite horror films. Two brothers, one a land surveyor and the other a solider are sent out to mark the land between Russia and Sweden after the 25 year war. Along with their Russian comrades, they come across an unmarked village in a swamp with a sauna. Horrible things begin to happen. The brothers are put to the test of confessing their sins, one of the horrors of war and together, they left a young girl to die alone.

This film has an amazing soundtrack as well, music by Panu Aaltio.

January 18, 2016

Miekkailija
(2015, Finland)
Directed by Klaus Härö
7.5/10
New watch

This film was nominated for the 88th Academy Awards for Best Foreign Language Film for Finland. The story of Endel Nelis, a Estonian fencer, who is on the run from the Russian Secret Police. He comes to a small Estonian town and starts a sporting club and ends up teaching the students fencing. During his time, he falls in love with one of the other teachers. The children find out there is a fencing competition in Leningrad and would like to compete. Endel decides, though his life would be at risk, to take the best 4 of the students to compete. After the competition, he is captured and put into a work camp. After Stalin has died, the people are released and Endel goes back to his small town in Estonia. Endel Nelis died in 1993 and his sporting club still exists.

January 18, 2016

Opstandelsen
(2010, Denmark)
Directed by Casper Haugegaard
6.5/10
Re-Watch

A low budget Danish zombie film. During the funeral of a young man, the dead has arisen and is on the hunt. Plenty of gore in this film!

^ definitely gonna watch this one pretty soon

January 18, 2016

Jagten
(2012, Denmark)
Directed by Thomas Vinterberg
9/10
Re-watch

This is one of the best films that Scandinavian cinema has to offer. A man is falsely accused of molesting his best friend's daughter. The town goes on a witch hunt even tho the little girl recants her story. I don't want to say much to give away the story so I will stop. For anyone who follows this thread, this film is one I highly recommend.

Keep 'em coming MG (feel free to slow down a little though lol)

Hoping 'Sauna' is the same film as this somewhat unimaginatively titled English subs release - same details as on IMDb so just ordered a copy anyway - if it's not then who knows what I'll be watching at some point
If 'The Fencer' or 'Opstandelsen'are shown on tv I'd take a look, surprised how short the latter is.
'The Hunt' already sits in my wishlist for purchase at some point

Keep 'em coming MG (feel free to slow down a little though lol)

Hoping 'Sauna' is the same film as this somewhat unimaginatively titled English subs release - same details as on IMDb so just ordered a copy anyway - if it's not then who knows what I'll be watching at some point
If 'The Fencer' or 'Opstandelsen'are shown on tv I'd take a look, surprised how short the latter is.
'The Hunt' already sits in my wishlist for purchase at some point
Sauna is the same one as Evil Rising. The Fencer is fairly new, so it will be a while before on DVD. Opstandelsen may be a rarity. The Hunt should be on DVD already. I have had mine for about 1 1/2 years or so.

Sauna is the same one as Evil Rising.
Phew

The Hunt should be on DVD already. I have had mine for about 1 1/2 years or so.
Yeah I know, just been waiting for the price to hopefully drop a tad more