The Machinist

→ in
Tools    

the only hayward man will ever need
what are your thoughts on The Machinist?

good?
bad?
ugly?
"I felt like putting a bullet between the eyes of every Panda that wouldn't screw to save its species. I wanted to open the dump valves on oil tankers and smother all the French beaches I'd never see. I felt like destroying something beautiful." - Tyler Durden

I think The Machinist was a rather good looking thriller with an interesting plot. I have only seen the film one time. I wan't to see it once or twice more, to get a better understanding of the film.

It's not so often I watch and like thrillers now these days, but The Machinist did good. I think the thrillers made in the 90's are the best.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
The Machinist is a great movie and another shining example that Brad Anderson, though he only has two genre entries under his belt, is a beast in the ring. The man doesn't have just an eye for creating a slick, decadent and morbid world, he has a sixth sense for it.

Of course the first thing people will talk about when they talk about this movie is Christian Bale and the weight he lost. Seeing the trailers, you're impressed, but watching the movie is an entirely different experience. He pulled off something here that is just freightening to watch. You can practically see the outlines of organs jutting through his stretched skin. It is delightfully sick. But getting past just the shock of seeing a human being living a daily life with such an extreme deficency, Bale gives one helluva performance here. It isn't just aided by the wow factor of his look, he does a damn fine job of assembling together a tortured soul who doesn't think he is all that tortured and is perfectly accepting of the life he lives. And the supporting actors are fantastic as well. I always love Michael Ironside and while he doesn't get a boatload of screen time, just seeing him in a movie makes me smilel.

His battle with insomnia and the resulting events in the film, especially the ending's revelation of everything, isn't an entirely new arena of plot and has themes visited several times recently, but don't lump it in with jumping on the bandwagon of memory loss films, Scott Kosar first wrote the screenplay for this film almost a decade ago...

It's a fantastic movie. A lot of people may find fault with the pacing of it - this movie doesn't rush anything - but if you've got a brain and the associated patience that comes with it, chances are pretty good you'll enjoy the hell out of it as well.

the only hayward man will ever need
everything you stated i beleive to be very true. its such an astounding piece of cinema that everyone in my opinion should watch it. christian bale is fast becoming the best actor of this time.

I really liked this one. Great story!

The combination of mental deterioration and recurring symbolism made the film very real and palpable, enveloping the reader in the psychological mystery that is this film.

Although the experience is little more than watching a 101 minute exercise of the Twilight Zone, that is good enough, because The Twilight Zone is the pinnacle of psychological/metaphysical mystery writing.

If you enjoy such thought-provoking vehicles as Donnie Darko and Memento, you will probably like this one.

One complaint: the score seemed too literal and old-fashioned for such an off-beat and non-mainstream film.

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
A cinematic triumph. Really enjoyed it, Bale's dedication reminds me a little of a younger De Niro. I love movies that make you think, and while the twist was easier to guess than say " The Usual Suspects " on the whole I really dug this movie. Looking forward to the DVD release, lets hope they give us great package like " Fight Club ". Loved the bleak colour effect, added a more gritty texture, and made it also slightly surreal. I suffer from insomnia, but I've never had it that bad, perhaps it could help me loose the love handles, as long as I don't end up looking like Bale.

Toga, toga, toga......

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

was a little freaked out by this movie Bale looked scary as hell
but this move was very good worht seeing and its out on DVD in U.S already

I just saw it, had me biting my thumb the whole time, at first none of it made sense to me at all, soo many questions early on, never seeming to be answered. As i progressed through the film, even more questions arised, only to be answered in the last say 5 minuites of the film.

Overall i enjoyed it, but i think ill have to watch it at least another time, and probably one more with the director commentary

Alex

This film looks super cool and Bale is awesome!

A system of cells interlinked
Someone got banned...

Loved this film, nice recommendation OG.

film making extraordinaire
I forgot how to do the spoiler thing and I am too lazy to look it up, so I will just say it like this: As far as the ending goes, I am tired of that concept. Don't try to act like it is a new idea, because you can see it numerous times, every year. I also hate how they force all that route 66 crap on you at the end like its significant, when it was only referred to once in the movie. I liked the acting, I liked the story, but that ending is just too old for me.

hmm. I wanted to like it loads cos I think Christian Bale is ace, but the sheer magnitude of his weight loss and look just kinda took away from the total effect imo. I hate it when people say they knew what was coming, cos I'm one of those people that get into the flow of a film and try not to think ahead during it, but I felt that this one was a little formulaic, and so tipped out its secret in advance.

Nevertheless, it was a good looking film with plenty of wincing moments, particulary those when CB had his clothes off (of which there was plenty) , I just don't think it felt very fulfilled.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Originally Posted by christine
hmm. I wanted to like it loads cos I think Christian Bale is ace, but the sheer magnitude of his weight loss and look just kinda took away from the total effect imo. I hate it when people say they knew what was coming, cos I'm one of those people that get into the flow of a film and try not to think ahead during it, but I felt that this one was a little formulaic, and so tipped out its secret in advance.

Nevertheless, it was a good looking film with plenty of wincing moments, particulary those when CB had his clothes off (of which there was plenty) , I just don't think it felt very fulfilled.
My thoughts exactly. Without Bale (who is good but painful to look at) it's just another boggo psychodrama worth a rent but not much more.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Originally Posted by hayward
everything you stated i beleive to be very true. its such an astounding piece of cinema that everyone in my opinion should watch it. christian bale is fast becoming the best actor of this time.
I'm in total agreement with this statement. I saw this 2 days ago and have been thinking about it ever since. I rewatched it with commentary and without it, and the 'making of' thing... it's all fascinating and I think this is a brilliant, detailed film. The story is simple, but the psychology its working through is not.

Saw it this past weekend - had no previous intention of seeing it and was very surprised to discover that it was a good movie. Definitely worth checking out.

Originally Posted by MysticalMoose
As far as the ending goes, I am tired of that concept. Don't try to act like it is a new idea, because you can see it numerous times, every year. I also hate how they force all that route 66 crap on you at the end like its significant, when it was only referred to once in the movie. I liked the acting, I liked the story, but that ending is just too old for me.
I was thinking that during the movie, that this kind of ending was getting old, but for some reason i think that The Machinist did it in a different way. It was more a movie about the truth unfolding than just coming at you at the end. I really dug this movie, and i know it's been said by pretty much everyone in this thread, but i just have to say that Bale is unbelievable, the weight loss is greater than i remembered from the trailer. That's dedication there.

I saw this movie again for a second time. I enjoyed it even more. Great film. About as Hitchcockian as films get nowadays. I saw a review for this film that said it's like a Coen Bros film back when they still made good movies.