Johnny Depp for the Joker?

Tools    

At Joblo there is a story on who Christopher Nolan is looking at for the Joker. The "scooper said this-"let’s just say that he has a major film coming out this summer and it’s a sequel to one of his biggest hits. In fact, his performance in the first movie was nominated for an Oscar."

Everybody else thinks it's Johnny Depp. Any thoughts? This may be old news. . .but anyway.
And found he was eating his shoe.

Here to support the villians.......
He would be an interesting choice, and he could pull it of, but I still think Crispin Glover is perfect for the role.

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
I like Crispin Glover, but then again, Charlie's Angels anyone???
Depp would be an unusual choice, but I'm a huge fan of his, and of Nolan as a filmaker, could be a match made in heaven.

Toga, toga, toga......

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

In the Beginning...
Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
Glover is born for the role.
I wouldn't say that. Although the Joker has remained relatively the same over the years, there are still variations. Some incarnations are reserved, while others are just out of their minds. It depends on what you want, I guess.

I'd prefer something between Alan Moore's psychopathic-but-human Joker and Frank Miller's "I'm so crazy I don't even smile" Joker. I think Crispin Glover is a worthy choice, as he's got the personality and temperament for the Joker, but he's too frail for Chris Nolan's picture. Frail is okay for the Scarecrow, but not for the Joker. We're talking about Batman's greatest villain: he needs to be a worthy match.

I don't really care for Johnny Depp as the Joker, either. He's a fantastic actor, and he could play a Joker that would be both real and unique to him (similar to the way Jack Nicholson handled the role). But I fear that he's too popular and would steal the show, and that his experience with playing mostly protagonists would make it difficult for the viewing audience to see him as a villain.

I still like Paul Bettany for the role. He's got an internal "I'm off my rocker" look to him, and he looks 'effing dangerous to boot (again, I want to see a more subtly psychopathic, serial-killer-type Joker). He's a great actor, he's intense and fit, AND he's English! (which is a plus for Chris Nolan)

My second choice would be Chris Eccleston.

Someone needs their fill.
Johnny Depp would be an interesting choice for the role. Personally, the one true Joker that I've always loved was the one in the animated series Mark Hamil...he did a little role of Luke Skywalker once. He has played villains before including "The Trickster" on "The Flash" televidion series.

Anyways, that would be my choice.

I think Depp could pull it off. I also heard a rumor that Guy Pearce was in the running. I have to agree with many of the others that Crispin Glover would be top choice for the part.

There's treachery afoot!!!
Johnny Depp would be a good Joker but would end up stealing the show. I still have my vote for Adrian Brody he's a superb actor and has the perfect stature for it.

Although I Johnny. I have to go with Glover

Please Turn Off Your Cell Phones
im all of glover

Originally Posted by Sleezy
Has Crispin Glover even been considered for the role? Maybe Chris Nolan and crew is afraid of him?

CRISPIN
Do you like my shoes, Dave?
I can kick really high.

*Crispin Glover's July 1987 appearance on "Late Night with David Letterman",
just before Dave cut to a commercial and had Glover ushered out of the studio.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Crispin Glover's voice is too high and frail sounding, and when he gets angry his voice cracks like crazy. NO.

Paul Bettany would be amazing, but he'd obviously have to have and American accent. tehe, duh.

Johnny Depp could act the crap out of this role, but he wouldn't look like the Joker we all know and love. Christopher Nolan has already said however that his Joker will not be exactly like the comic book Joker, so I will go with it until the casting is official.

In the Beginning...
Originally Posted by led_zeppelin
Paul Bettany would be amazing, but he'd obviously have to have and American accent. tehe, duh.
Right, but if we worked at it enough, he'd be fine. Remember, Christian Bale, Cillian Murphy, Tom Wilkinson, and Gary Oldman are all British actors, and every one of them spoke with an American accent in Batman Begins.

Originally Posted by led_zeppelin
Christopher Nolan has already said however that his Joker will not be exactly like the comic book Joker, so I will go with it until the casting is official.
It should be noted, though, that one can't really generalize the Joker. Depending on the writer, every incarnation of the Joker has been somewhat different. I think Nolan was talking about the clown-like, purple-wearing, over-the-top Joker (because that's the most conventional Joker out there).

I got for good luck my black tooth.
Johnny Depp could play any role he took on believably. However I agree with Sleezy that his star power would be a distraction. He's a little too much of a pretty boy as well. The joker has to have a real reason to be evil. With someone that looks like Depp you can't see the motivation being there. Sure they can achieve great things with special effects, but no matter what, I think we'd still see him as Johnny Depp rather than the joker. It would be like casting Brad Pitt as J.C. is The Passion of the Christ. Or similar to watching Jimmy Stewart or Humphrey Bogart. Whenever they come on screen, I find myself thinking something to the effect of: "Hey, it's Jimmy Stewart...I like him." Besides after reading what Holden posted, it seems like Glover was born for the role.

Originally Posted by Holden Pike

CRISPIN
Do you like my shoes, Dave?
I can kick really high.

*Crispin Glover's July 1987 appearance on "Late Night with David Letterman",
just before Dave cut to a commercial and had Glover ushered out of the studio.
I remember seeing parts of that. Dave is like "Ok, that's enough" then got up and walked away. I never saw the entire part but I think he thought he was on something at the time didnt he? Sure spooked him enough. I mean big deal, he made a kick at him. It never came close to his face.

Originally Posted by Escape
I remember seeing parts of that. Dave is like "Ok, that's enough" then got up and walked away. I never saw the entire part but I think he thought he was on something at the time didnt he? Sure spooked him enough. I mean big deal, he made a kick at him. It never came close to his face.
I saw it during its original broadcast, and many times since (I have it on a VHS tape somewhere around here). You can't tell from that angle maybe, but yeah, he came pretty close to Dave's face. And the truth is, if it's Jack Nicholson that wants to take fake karate kicks at your head...OK, you let him. Andy Kaufman? Yeah, sure. When frippin' Crispin Glover does it...I don't think so.

Back in 1987 and for years afterwards, Crispin tried to diffuse it by saying it was a friend of his on Letterman's show that night and not him at all. That's just plain a lie (if you click on the picture I posted, you'll see a whole series of screencaptures - it's him in a cheap wig). Then in later years he claimed it was some sort of performance art. The truth is he was just being a weird jerk, it went over like a lead balloon, and Dave decided not to put up with it. Glover can be amusing in a trainwreck sort of way, and in movies he's fine if he is used sparringly. Frankly he'd be horrible as The Joker for two hours or so on the big screen. Being one of the oddball henchmen in Charlie's Angels, that's more his speed.

Nolan doesn't have to cast as big a star as Burton did for his Joker, but he needs somebody who can hold their own on the screen with the likes of Gary Oldman, Michael Caine and Morgan Freeman. Crispin Glover ain't even close.

I am having a nervous breakdance
There's nothing wrong with Depp playing the part, if it turns out to be more than a rumour. My only objection is that Depp is playing a lot of this kind of roles; quirky eccentrics. It begins to look like typecasting and it's not really that exciting. But I'm certain he could pull it off. Someone said Adrien Brody and that would be more interesting. Hey, what if Christian Bale played Joker to make it REALLY psychological??

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Originally Posted by Sleezy
I wouldn't say that. Although the Joker has remained relatively the same over the years, there are still variations. Some incarnations are reserved, while others are just out of their minds. It depends on what you want, I guess.

I'd prefer something between Alan Moore's psychopathic-but-human Joker and Frank Miller's "I'm so crazy I don't even smile" Joker. I think Crispin Glover is a worthy choice, as he's got the personality and temperament for the Joker, but he's too frail for Chris Nolan's picture. Frail is okay for the Scarecrow, but not for the Joker. We're talking about Batman's greatest villain: he needs to be a worthy match.

I don't really care for Johnny Depp as the Joker, either. He's a fantastic actor, and he could play a Joker that would be both real and unique to him (similar to the way Jack Nicholson handled the role). But I fear that he's too popular and would steal the show, and that his experience with playing mostly protagonists would make it difficult for the viewing audience to see him as a villain.

I still like Paul Bettany for the role. He's got an internal "I'm off my rocker" look to him, and he looks 'effing dangerous to boot (again, I want to see a more subtly psychopathic, serial-killer-type Joker). He's a great actor, he's intense and fit, AND he's English! (which is a plus for Chris Nolan)

My second choice would be Chris Eccleston.

What he said.