Videodrome
55.56%
10 votes
The Fly
0%
0 votes
Equal
18 votes. You may not vote on this poll

As expected, my past poll of Terminator 2 vs. Aliens gave an edge to the former. After I sent in my list for the Top 100 I watched Videodrome. This movie has several similarities to The Fly:

Both are 80's sci-fi horror movies.
Common themes are technology, human mutation and gore.
Both are highlights of David Cronenberg.

So which is better? I'm going with Videodrome for its surrealism and less reliance on gore than The Fly.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I think I would have to go with The Fly. I remember being disappointed in Videodrome, and found it to be anti-climatic like they could have done so much more with it, and relied too much on it's premise, rather than it's execution. But I would have to watch it again.

I dont get how people can ignore the fact that videodrome has become a cult classic, and it is about equal to the fly to me

I guess I gotta go back and reconsider The Fly's quality. I didn't watch it for the horror top 100 since I've already seen it twice, and I thought the Vincent Price one was slightly superior.

I dont get how people can ignore the fact that videodrome has become a cult classic, and it is about equal to the fly to me
Well I didn't think it was that good, but I am aware it's a cult classic . I never really liked a lot of Cronenberg's more surreal movies, but I think he does a better job on straight forward, non-surreal stories, if that makes sense.

Rock music and action movie obsessed guy,
I am a fan of Chronenberg's horror movies, not his dramas, but I would choose Videodrome as my favourite

I guess I gotta go back and reconsider The Fly's quality. I didn't watch it for the horror top 100 since I've already seen it twice, and I thought the Vincent Price one was slightly superior.
Glad to hear some love for the original The Fly. I think both versions are exceptional, as they delve into what makes us human.

When it comes to Cronenberg I feel that some of his movies I love, and some I can't like or wrap my head around. I feel he usually does a good job, when it comes movies that aren't surreal, but when he does the surreal stuff, I find the movies often don't answer enough questions, and I don't know what I'm suppose to think in the end.

Videodrome and The Brood were like that, but haven't seen all of his. But I really love The Fly and A History of Violence which I think are his best.