MoFo Top 100 Horror Movies: The List

→ in
Tools    

Antichrist is a different mouthful for sure. Prepare yourself for explicit and nasty stuff... BUT with that said, Antichrist was the first Trier I saw and like you, at the time at least, I wasn't really interested in watching his movies.
Have you seen Riget?

if not, no wonder you never got my danskjävlar reference

Have you seen Riget?

if not, no wonder you never got my danskjävlar reference
Of course I have and of course I did.

I have seen most of Triers filmography but I purposely hold off on just a few because I’m not really in a hurry to get them watched. Movies like Europa aren’t out on HD yet so call
me silly but I’m also kinda just waiting to watch it in a beautiful transfer.

First off, bang-up job already by our host, @Nostromo87. Hot and ready right off the press. Loving the presentation and graphics.

Lots of cool titles on the one-pointers list (except for the When a Stranger Calls remake, which is one of the lamest horror movies I've seen). Several of the one-pointers hold a slot on the personal watchlist, with Split Second, Fascination and Spring being the ones I'm most interested in watching. That quote on the poster for Spring -- "A hybrid of Richard Linklater and H.P. Lovecraft" -- causes a stirring in my nether regions. Or maybe that's just my crabs flaring up.

Surprised that House of the Devil only garnered one point. 'Twas on the list of potentials with its retro aesthetic and unbearable suspense. It'd be a major personal favorite if the ending didn't land with such a wet fart. Less surprised that Stir of Echoes landed on the one-pointers list since it's always been underappreciated. It draws a lot of comparisons to The Sixth Sense, but I think it's a better movie and it holds up stronger on re-watches. That hypnosis scene in the dark movie theater has always creeped me out. Everyone should also be in awe of Kevin Bacon's mad shoveling skills.

So far the list of near-misses is more impressive than the films which made the cut. It sounds like Near Dark got cheated by the IMDb horror tag not being at the top of the page. Bummed that The Burning came up just short. I think it's superior to all other summer camp slashers (of which there are many, including the Friday the 13th series). Hell, The Burning is one of the best slashers, period. It's exciting, full of believable characters (many in the cast went on to have very successful careers, so the performances are stronger than you typically find in such films), the gore is excellent, the bloody shears are beautiful, and despite being one of the first of its kind, the movie feels surprisingly fresh. It was one of several movies that I debated toward the bottom of my list. I wish now that I had thrown a few points its way.

As for the actual films to appear on the Countdown so far . . . well, I'm not gonna lie, I'm pretty underwhelmed. I Walked with a Zombie is deserving of a spot. I watched it quite some time ago out of curiosity to see what pre-Romero zombies were like. I wasn't as into classic cinema at the time, so I think I'd appreciate the movie much more nowadays, but I still enjoyed it. I knew that The Conjuring was probably a lock due to its popularity, but I'm shocked that the sequel also made the list. Both films feel very professional and they're anchored by strong lead performances. The first Conjuring was pretty entertaining since it seemed to throw every haunted-house cliché at the screen with a surprising degree of success, but I'm struggling to remember much from the sequel despite watching it much more recently. Something about an evil nun?

I haven't watched The Host in over a decade now, so much of the plot is hazy to me, but I remember being surprised at some of the developments along the way. I also remember a strong emotional connection to the characters. Seems like some of the creature F/X were a bit dodgy. Not crazy about seeing it on a Horror Countdown since I think of such movies as primarily science-fiction, but it's one of the best entries in the giant-monsters-eat-people-and-destroy-a-lot-of-sh*t genre.

I've given up trying to join the Cult of Carpenter, as I just don't love most of his films anywhere near as much as most people, but They Live is a pretty fun outing. It gave us one of the all-time great movie quotes: "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass . . . and I'm all out of bubblegum." For a campy cult movie it has a surprisingly strong message. And that never-ending fight between "Rowdy" Roddy Piper and Keith David is hilarious in its ridiculousness. However, I think calling They Live a horror movie is a bit of a stretch. My annoyance lies with the inconsistency of IMDb's genre tags rather than the voters. I just think it's a shame seeing movies with very few horror elements place on the countdown.

I'm a fan of his films, but Nicolas Winding Refn strikes me as the sort of pompous artist who shoves paint tubes up his bum, farts colors on a canvas, then pleasures himself to his creation while under the delusion that he's created a true masterpiece. I do that, too, so I'm not knocking the man. I think The Neon Demon is his weakest film, although I've yet to watch Bleeder or Fear X. The film is visually resplendent with nearly every scene trigging multiple eyegasms (or should I say regurgitated eyegasms?), but the script is ponderous and stupid and in dire need of a sense of humor. Without the latter, the movie falls under the weight of its own pretentiousness.

Haven't seen The House that Jack Built. Von Trier is an audacious, extremely talented filmmaker, so I'm sure that this newest offering is yet another fine entry in his celebrated filmography. However, I think it's ridiculous that a film released just a few months ago is already on the countdown. People can vote for whatever the hell they want, and obviously The House that Jack Built has made a strong impression on viewers, but I would personally like to see people take a step back and allow brand new films to marinate a bit. Wait and see how you feel once the shine wears off. With the way this list is shaping up, I fear that A Quiet Place and Hereditary are going to be top-20 films. Maybe we should re-name this countdown 100 Horror Movies MoFos Recently Watched.

Welcome to the human race...
It's part of Carpenter's end of the world trilogy so year
No, it's not. That would be The Thing (apocalypse by alien infection), Prince of Darkness (apocalypse by Antichrist), and In the Mouth of Madness (apocalypse by eldritch creatures breaking down reality). All of those more readily scream "horror" than They Live, which would have cracked my top 10 if I had ever even thought of it as horror. It's always seemed like more of a sci-fi/action piece to me where any horror elements are secondary at best. Now I wonder how many more movies are going to show up where I'm going to be all "Wait, I could've voted for that?"

As for The Neon Demon, I like it well enough and it's definitely an unsettling piece of work, but I didn't consider it for voting.

Unregistered User
Only getting on here since last week, with St Paddys day and all that.
Great work Nos! Great layout and you can see the hard work you've put in.

Really enjoying the list so far. I voted for Kill List so a bit disappointed that it didn't make the list, I genuinely thought it would place top 50. Also voted for Neon Demon, 17th place I think, although it could easily have been higher. I rated it
so that gives you an indication of how tight my list is!
I've seen the other 5, with IWWAZ agonizingly missing out on making my list, on any other day it probably would have made it. I hated The Conjuring 2 and was mixed about They Live and The Host but The House that Jack Built was absolutely brilliant, LVT in fine form!

Looking forward to the next pair.

Saw Neon Demon when it came out and thought it was incredible. It was my #10.

Only getting on here since last week, with St Paddys day and all that.
Great work Nos! Great layout and you can see the hard work you've put in.

Really enjoying the list so far. I voted for Kill List so a bit disappointed that it didn't make the list, I genuinely thought it would place top 50. Also voted for Neon Demon, 17th place I think, although it could easily have been higher. I rated it
so that gives you an indication of how tight my list is!
I've seen the other 5, with IWWAZ agonizingly missing out on making my list, on any other day it probably would have made it. I hated The Conjuring 2 and was mixed about They Live and The Host but The House that Jack Built was absolutely brilliant, LVT in fine form!

Looking forward to the next pair.

LORD if us Neon Demon fans communicated before the countdown it could have gotten further.

I was budgeable with 1 on my list of so it COULD HAVE BEEN.

I was thinking it'd at least crack the top 50. Not sure how much we can speculate about newer films taking over the based on three of the first six being from 2016 onwards, but if notoriously polarising recent films like The House That Jack Built and The Neon Demon can even make it on here over the likes of Near Dark then Hereditary is practically guaranteed to show up with a very respectable ranking.

They Live was so high up on my list because I cannot remember both being frightened and laughing so much at the same time from a movie. It was also the last movie I saw with the family before I left to join the Army, so that day is special to me still. Might be a weird reason to love a movie so much, but even without that caveat I would still really love this flick. I was also a big wrestling fan and Piper was always a firecracker and I loved his unexpected exploits on the mat and in interviews. His physique was not that impressive and he was not that tall (comparatively speaking) but he made up for it in plain badassness.

Being a fan of his also did not hurt my biased assessment of the film.

The story itself was not exactly a new one all around, but it was pretty cool on how it was revealed and how it was written. I do think the ending is a little weak, not the idea of it but how it was played out on screen, but the ending wasn't really what the movie was about, not to me anyway.

One of my favorite moments is, of course, the long fight scene (6 minutes from what I was able to gather on Google) and is a classic- it had me laughing pretty hard and still does when I re-watch.

"I'm giving you a choice, either put on these glasses or start eating that trash can"

I understand the notion that it is more sci-fi then horror, but that goes for so many movies and this would rate pretty high in the sci-fi genre for me as well.

I need to watch The Host again and although I enjoyed the Conjuring movies, they did not make this list - they might make a top 100 list for me.

Awesome job so far, love all the feedback and the layout, if we ever do a top 25 of top 25 movie lists this would be like in the top 10..

Conversely, I remember a few years back when The Thing ended up being an honourable mention on an action countdown.

Of course I have and of course I did.

I have seen most of Triers filmography but I purposely hold off on just a few because I’m not really in a hurry to get them watched. Movies like Europa aren’t out on HD yet so call
me silly but I’m also kinda just waiting to watch it in a beautiful transfer.
Europa is my fav of his behind The Element of Crime. It is gorgeous, but a lot of it lies in grit and grain. HD isn't really necessary to appreciate the visuals IMO.

Europa is my fav of his behind The Element of Crime. It is gorgeous, but a lot of it lies in grit and grain. HD isn't really necessary to appreciate the visuals IMO.
I know, I'm just nitpicky like that.

I have actually seen like 1/3 of it or more. I liked what I saw. But something came up and I never finished it...