Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Re-watch of this excellent movie.

The Girl at the Monceau Bakery (1963) by Eric Rohmer

I continued my Eric Rohmer binge watching with this cool short film

Worlds Apart (2008) by Niels Arden Oplev

Saw this at work with one of the kids who were to sick to go to school. A pretty bland film about Jehovas Witnesses and teenage love.

Chloe in the Afternoon (1972) by Eric Rohmer

Another masterpiece from Eric Rohmer, who is turning into my favorite of the French New Wave directors. Highly recommendable.

Lost, Lost, Lost (1976) by Jonas Mekas

The best film i have seen from Mekas. Pure cinematic bless from the American Avantgarde.

Nadja in Paris (1964) by Eric Rohmer

Another short film from Rohmer. Decent enough but not that interesting.

Presentation, or Charlotte and Her Steak (1960) by Eric Rohmer

An early short film by Rohmer featuring Jean-Luc Godard. To academic to my taste.

Bérénice (1954) by Eric Rohmer

Rohmers debut film and a quite interesting short film in relation to Rohmers later films.
+

The Possession of Michael King (2014)

A pretty generic found footage movie and a pretty generic possession movie, they even managed to get in a head roll by the end and if you dislike jump scares don't go near this, they are excruciatingly loud and forceful, on one of them I involuntarily threw my earphones of my head which I have never done before and oh if you like reading reviews written by the directors mates, go over to IMDb, I'm actually serious, the guy is director writer actor etc it's almost predictable.. best possession film since The Exorcist my arse.

Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

A Night in the Life of Jimmy Reardon (1988) dir William Richert

I had to rate this one again for the theatrical cut, as my previous review was of the cobbled together director's cut, which had me thinking that my childhood memory of this would match up to this recent viewing of the DC. It didn't.

The original wide release of this late 80's River Phoenix teen dramedy aims and misses almost on an astonishing level. The DC had mismatches, too, and still - it wasn't a very good movie. But there was a sentiment there.

Seeing the film with the Bill Conti tinged score (instead of original director's cut composer Elmer Bernstein) puts a very cheesy 80's synth score mixed with an almost karate kid vibe on top of this pared down mismatched sock of a movie.

Jimmy Reardon is a complete jerk-off creep. He is a womanizer, a spoiled and delusional sissy boy who thinks he's some great poet. Even though he is dished up some good revenge it still doesn;t matter because everything leading up to a justice is overshadowed by a dull and soulless identity crisis film. It's set in the 60's yet has a contempo score. It's about a sex starved HS grad, but it's unconvincing, this power he must have over females.

The family dynamic, and recinciliation are handled like total bookends, and whatever twist comes this way involving this "central theme" is repellent, as is the over sentimental ending that just feels wrong.

This film tries in it's director/writer's hands, but it just can't get it together. The theatrical cut is like salt on a wound, and probably the main reason (aside from being railroaded) why we don't see William Richert films anymore.

It's sad because the film wants to be good. It's based on the director's book which he adapted for the screen. I haven't read the book, but if it's 20% better than the movie I'm sure it'd still be kind of trashy and weird.

Photography, lighting and performances are all on point. A young Matthew Perry plays the best friend in an early role.

A Black Veil for Lisa (1968)

A police film with some giallo influences and jealousy drama. Wastes lots of its potential on several poor decision.

Oh, and @Violetlvr , love your avatar. Back when I was a kid Cannon's logo was almost a guarantee of quality (or "quality" but I really liked their cheese action films back then)

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
The Haunting(1963)

A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)

An interesting double bill, watched for the upcoming Horror Countdown. The Haunting had some clunky backstory/voiceover stuff but once it got going it was incredibly effective, I enjoyed all the symbolism and suggestion. I've been fairly terrified of watching NOES for years and years but finally got up the courage to watch it. It was all a bit more gross and hokey than actually scary in terms of tension and dread, although it had its moments. I think The Haunting was scarier in that sense even though
WARNING: "The Haunting" spoilers below
only one person dies on screen
. All the fountains of blood over the ceiling were a bit over the top. I really liked the music in NOES (although it was irritating that the sound effects were about twice as loud as the dialogue). I thought the ending was much less effective than the one in Carrie it was probably trying to emulate.

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
Leaving neverland

Watched this after having watched the documentary ‘abducted in plain sight’ where a peodophile/sick and evil man abducted a young girl numerous times but had also manipulated and groomed her family.

Michaels story is similar in that he groomed his victims parents to gain access. The victims tell a similar confused tale in which they were in love with their abuser and lied to protect him.

Leaving neverland is graphic in its verbal descriptions - it is at times sickening, saddening and strongly affecting of emotions. The two narrators, for whom are victims are handled emphatically. Most importantly - their story is believable. I believe them.

How I feel about Jackson has changed. Of course he’s always been seen to be an odd character and the rumours have followed him since when I can remember however being moved by his victims accounts following watching this story makes me despise the man.

This is an important film. One which explores fame, fortune, control, manipulation, grooming, sexual predators, deceptive appearances. It’s more than Michael Jackson - it’s a story about the world we live in.

5/5

Captain Marvel was released yesterday and I went to see it on the IMAX screen. The film is a bit of a mixed bag but overall I enjoyed it. The biggest strength the story has going for it is that rather than focus on the dull current Danvers series the filmmakers appropriated the original books concepts. The original concept of the book was that Mar-Vel was an alien living on Earth fighting a war and balancing their alliengence's to Earth and the Kree homeworld.

The Kree guard is led by Jude Law and features a band of warriors to varying degrees and powers as they battle the shapeshifting Skrulls led by Ben Mendelsohn. Sheninegans occur and she ends up in 1990's US where SHIELD's Samuel L Jackson and her end up working together as they are caught in this intergalactic battle. Oh and their is a cat named Goose and Danvers keeps seeing Annette Bennig in her head.

The film is sort of like a reverse Wonder Woman in the sense that the worst set pieces are in the beginning and then it gets progressively better. Nick Fury is a major figure in the film, this is practically an 80's buddy cop film and Jackson is very good. The characters are well defined to a point but here's the central fault in the film...it's Brie Larsen. I'm not going to pile onto to the Larsen backlash but you can't ignore that Danvers is smug and condescending throughout the film. Now most of the Marvel leads have a degree of smugness the difference is those characters are grounded with flaws and this film doesn't give Danvers any flaws. She's not broken like Doctor Strange or young like Spider-man or guilt-ridden like Tony Stark or a castout like Thor.

The other problem with the film is Lashana Lynch's character is basically just the black friend that reacts to everything and doesn't really do anything else. She pretty much just exists to be a mom and to show up in flashbacks. And while the film has a clear feminist agenda ultimately it fails women as the three male leads (Law, Mendlesohn, and Jackson) are all vastly superior characters that carry the film from being bleh to being a pretty good Marvel film.

Moving onto the films strengths, the 90's backdrop works really well. Anytime they end up picking up a piece of 90's nostalgia it ends up serving the plot. They also don't overdo it with the fashion which I appreciated. The film also does not have a villain problem Talos (Mendelsohn) is awesome his scenes are some of the best in the film. And while I can't express just how smug Danvers is her humor works at points, the final battle is pretty great and establishes what they were trying to do (though they did kind of fail at it).

At the end of the day the film is worth seeing
(though really it's more like 3.25

You can't fight in here.This is the War room!
The Favourite 8/10

Hell House LLC 6/10

Aterrados 7/10

Trollhunter 6/10

A Private War 7/10

A Tale of Two Sisters 7/10

Force Majeure 7/10

Pororoca 9/10

Van Gogh (1991) by Maurice Pialat

My fifth Pialat film and he seems to grow on me. In retrospect i gave him relatively poor ratings of the first films i saw by him back in 2014 with a rating of
for La Gueule ouverte (1974), but dont we always evolve as cinephiles and humans

Overall this was an enjoyable watch with a lot of everyday situations (situations of being), which seems relatively sparse in newer, modern films, which i personally find both interesting and meditative. Also the development of relations in those situations Van Gogh takes part of, seems interesting in relation to the trajectory of the film. On a personal level i have a keen interest in biopics depicting manic depression without being overtly stigmatizing.

Highly recommendable if you have a keen interest in the more non-commercial depictions of Van Gogh.

Fright Night (1985)

First saw this at the movies when it came out and many more times since. It was a big favorite for a while but felt a little dated on my last viewing. I needed to revisit for the horror countdown and I'm glad I did. It moves along quickly and it pretty much all works. I'm sure nostalgia now plays a big role for me as it has both what was cool and cheesy about the 80's. I needed something for my mood and this helped.

Fright Night (1985)

First saw this at the movies when it came out and many more times since. It was a big favorite for a while but felt a little dated on my last viewing. I needed to revisit for the horror countdown and I'm glad I did. It moves along quickly and it pretty much all works. I'm sure nostalgia now plays a big role for me as it has both what was cool and cheesy about the 80's. I needed something for my mood and this helped.
For me it's the difference between how I felt about it then and how I see it now - it reminds me that I am getting old. A younger person could see this and love it with no hang ups, but for some of the older crowd movies like this remind you of the ante being upped by comedy timing, pace, effects, music, etc, and how as cozy as nostalgia is, it's not as enriching as a movie on its own if you've been familiar with it, and no surprises are to be really had, except a realization that you've been watching it for 20 + yrs, and you feel like you need a heating pad.