The Movie Forums Top 100 Horror Movies

→ in
Tools    

As far as I'm concerned, I have six and the other five can go french kiss Freddy Krueger, but not Aliens. That movie was the whole reason I became a horror fan and it's atill my number one. Imdb? Honestly? A monkey handles poo they way imdb handles genre-tagging.

Someone set The MoFo Whisperer @honeykid on this Aliens-loving KeyserCorleone ha

Someone set The MoFo Whisperer @honeykid on this Aliens-loving KeyserCorleone ha

Look I'm not gonna dwell on whatever the hell you're talking about. But let me tell you something. Imdb calls this an Action-Adventure. Doesm't even have thtiller for it when there's like 5 minutes of space travel in the whole 2 hours 20 run. And Superman is listed as an action-adventure-sci-fi movie. They can't be bothered to put in a superhero genre? And back when I was compiling a prototype list months ago, Aliens WAS listed as horror and now I come back and see it changed. Im not gonna get ****ing ripped off by Imdb's retardedness. This list was important to me. I didn't say much because I wanted to watch more horror movies first. You picked the worst possible and most effing dosorganized website for this kind of thing.

We fought over eligibility in the original thread months ago. Members regularly navigate IMDb for forum lists, thus IMDb is reasonable. If you better organize your post above, misspellings, general manner, etc, your criticism of a successful movie database might play better.

You're really saying that I'm unrealiable partially because I made a couple of typos? And are you going to flat out ignore that when I started working on my list a few months ago, that Imdb listed it as a horror movie?

Just because it's popular that doesn't mean it's reliable. Imdb is popular for many different reasons, such as being easy to use and easy to navigate. People use it for their parental guides. And if they do need genres, the first things that come up on Imdb search results or google are USER LISTS. It's popular because it's based on the community but it's not flawless. And because it changes genres a lot, that could mean users who've checked their lists months ago with imdb for eligibility may have uneligible movies now because of Imdb. Proof? I'm one of them. Aliens was eligible and now it's not right before this happened? Aliens is as important to me as The Godfather and The Mirror. And 2ho has ever called it an adventure movie?

If you people want to choose a proper website, use one that the community can utilize as properly as most things about Imdb. Imdb tries to decide these genres for you and gets things wrong often.

Why should I be ripped off this way? Why should any of us? Don't put any blame on my, FELLOW ALIENS FAN. There's a good chance you consider it a horror movie, too. But you literally did the worst thing possible: get popularity mixed with quality. You chose Imdb for the one reason I hoped you would not have chosen it by. By this logic we can say Britney Spears is one of the greatest musicians ever, or that Twilight is legitimately a good movie.

The movie was eligible when I first joined this list, and I don't think I'm wrong in assuming a problem like that should be acknowledged. You "discussed" it but did you bother thinking about the best way to go about a specific result needed for a rule? Why not allow people exceptions if they can provide a good reason, like providing official movie website/magazine horror movie lists that all have the movie in question? They would logically be more official than Imdb because Imdb doesn't focus on genres. They just slap them there because a movie site needs them anyway.

I'm pretty certain that Aliens was never tagged as Horror during this countdown or during the earlier discussion. I did check it during the discussion on the earlier thread and at least then it wasn't tagged as such. I also checked it few months earlier when I started to make my own horror top list (still a WIP).

EDIT: I've watched only the three genres that appear at the top, not the list above MPAA rating though so it's possible that it's been but not on the (up to) 3 genres listed on top.

Look at the Google results.

https://www.google.com/search?client...s=heirloom-srp..

"Action | Horror | Sci-Fi" can be seen on the first two results, linking the Imdb Aliens page. Both have over 591000 ratings, but both numbers are just barely apart from each other. On this list, you'll keep getting results for that exact page, but earlier in time, maybe even a week apart or so. They list the genres as Action-Horror-Sci-Fi, and in some they leave out action.

Also consider that the current amount of ratings is over 591,600 when the first Google result shows 591300 from when they last collected data. This means it hasn't been adventure for very long.

Edit: If you want me to cool off, I will. But since I've been working on this list since Aliens has been eligible and it was pretty much always at number 1, I only ask that you allow me to use it. I really do believe this is a bit unfair for me since it taught me a lot about film, writing, creativity and even humanity. That movie is more to me than just a Desert Island movie.

And frankly, I know I'm a bit to upset but listen: a lot of annoying **** has happened to me in the real world for no reason other than jerks pushing me around, for months to clarify. I've been inactive here so I didn't bring it here. This is one of those things I was looking forward to for a while to help me cool down, and Aliens is too important to me.

I don't know where Google gets those but I personally have never seen it with Horror tag on the actual IMDb site. Obviously I don't check that too often so it's possible I've missed it but I never added it to my preliminary list because the tag wasn't there. For what it's worth I'd probably put it for the 3rd tag even though it's always been primarily scifi-action for me.

Other than that I'm just a participant and have no say on the other stuff; I just make a list by the tags (well, one tagged film I just can't vote because there's no way I can call it horror) as was decided months ago.

Unregistered User

"Action | Horror | Sci-Fi" can be seen on the first two results, linking the Imdb Aliens page. Both have over 591000 ratings, but both numbers are just barely apart from each other. On this list, you'll keep getting results for that exact page, but earlier in time, maybe even a week apart or so. They list the genres as Action-Horror-Sci-Fi, and in some they leave out action.

Also consider that the current amount of ratings is over 591,600 when the first Google result shows 591300 from when they last collected data. This means it hasn't been adventure for very long.

Edit: If you want me to cool off, I will. But since I've been working on this list since Aliens has been eligible and it was pretty much always at number 1, I only ask that you allow me to use it. I really do believe this is a bit unfair for me since it taught me a lot about film, writing, creativity and even humanity. That movie is more to me than just a Desert Island movie.

And frankly, I know I'm a bit to upset but listen: a lot of annoying **** has happened to me in the real world for no reason other than jerks pushing me around, for months to clarify. I've been inactive here so I didn't bring it here. This is one of those things I was looking forward to for a while to help me cool down, and Aliens is too important to me.

Hopefully you've cooled down now and sorry to hear things are going on in the real world, hopefully that changes soon.

With regards the list, its the same rules for everyone. There are plenty other films I would like to nominate but cant because IMDB doesn't tag it as horror, when it should. Whether or not Aliens has been tagged as horror before is irrelevant. The horror countdown starts next week, if it was beginning back when Aliens was tagged as horror, then you could include it, thems the rules.

As long as you include Possession on your list, all should be ok.

Hopefully you've cooled down now and sorry to hear things are going on in the real world, hopefully that changes soon.

With regards the list, its the same rules for everyone. There are plenty other films I would like to nominate but cant because IMDB doesn't tag it as horror, when it should. Whether or not Aliens has been tagged as horror before is irrelevant. The horror countdown starts next week, if it was beginning back when Aliens was tagged as horror, then you could include it, thems the rules.

As long as you include Possession on your list, all should be ok.

Could, right? How do I know he'll check each movie right after I submit it and leave off Aliens because of Aliens' current imdb labelling?

Unregistered User
Could, right? How do I know he'll check each movie right after I submit it and leave off Aliens because of Aliens' current imdb labelling?

Maybe I didn't word it correctly.

Just don't include Aliens. If you send your list with Aliens on it, you will likely get a message back advising you to substitute it with something IMDB recognises as a horror.

Maybe I didn't word it correctly.

Just don't include Aliens. If you send your list with Aliens on it, you will likely get a message back advising you to substitute it with something IMDB recognises as a horror.
Like Take Shelter.

People are going to hate my list.

<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
Maybe I didn't word it correctly.<br />
<br />
<br />
Just don't include <i>Aliens</i>. If you send your list with <i>Aliens</i> on it, you will likely get a message back advising you to substitute it with something IMDB recognises as a horror.
<br />
<br />
<br />
That is NOT good enough. Aliens was eligible. It's completely unfair to me (and everyone participating) if they're going through Imdb's inability to properly genre tag and label things if those things are going to change. If it was eligible then, there is no good reason fo it not to be eligible now. Technically spaking, if I was first making the list when the movie was eligible, it should still be eligible now.

You're being dishonest about Aliens being "tagged before." It was brought up in the first page of The Promotion Thread. Which was started on 11/23/18. When I checked the IMDb Tags That Same Day and posted about the films discussed to that point, Aliens was not tagged as Horror.

You will not blame me for being dishonest. How do you explain the google results? This is data collected from a few days at a time, back when the movie was tagged as horror. Ergo, the information on Imdb keeps changing. Don't ever call me a liar again.

NOT good enough. Aliens was eligible. It's completely unfair to me (and everyone participating) if they're going through Imdb's inability to properly genre tag and label things if those things are going to change. If it was eligible then, there is no good reason fo it not to be eligible now. Technically spaking, if I was first making the list when the movie was eligible, it should still be eligible now.
Mate, people are taking their precious time out of their schedule to do this countdown voluntarily. They don't have to.

I get you are disappointed. We all have favourites that can't be included in this list, but can you be a bit more grateful to the people running the show here?