Breaking Bad

Tools    

I think it has a cult following, but not massive ratings. Like Mad Men. Its cultural impact is magnified by the degree to which its viewers like it, and the degree to which writers and critics and whatnot rave about it.
Mad Men is huge, though. It might have similar viewership, but Mad Men is on a totally different level. It was pretty much billed as the next Big Thing after The Sopranos. Everyone - in my circle of friends (hella cool people) - bangs on about Mad Men. There's a ball-tonne of hype around it. Which is justified; Mad Men is brilliant.

Breaking Bad has hardly any recognition in comparison. See this poor excuse for a thread. Like four people have seen the thing!

It just depresses me. It's totally different to Mad Men, but in terms of writing, cinematography, acting, compelling storylines, etc, it's more than a match for it.

And it's water-cooler television. I'm going to buy a ****ing water-cooler so I can stand over it and natter to myself on Monday morning. And it's good suspense too - like Twin Peaks, not like 'what's in that grate why is there a polar bear here'. It's real suspense, about characters, about their decisions, about the consequences.

In summary: "BITCH!"

then get the hell out or talk about your ineptitude of not seeing it.
Miow.

Mad Men might be relatively huge in that it generally draws 2 million viewers per episode (though before this past season, it drew less), and Breaking Bad draws more like 1.5. But both shows have pretty mediocre ratings numbers in the grand scheme of things.

But critical recognition? I hear critics fawn over both. BB has won six Emmys; Cranston, in particular, has won all three times he's been eligible.

I imagine the perception for shows like this can vary wildly depending on who we generally talk to.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
i didn't start loving BB until the middle of the 2nd Season, so i really should try to watch more than 1 Season of Mad Men.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
oh jesus. get over it already, man. i only said what i said because there was a slew of posts about various TV shows like this was the Television Tab or something. i kept clicking on the thread hoping to see more discussion about the hawesome climax that was Season 3 and instead i saw lists of TV shows that people still need to see... a-wha?

i know there are more Mofos that have seen BB other than HC and i. they just need to come out of the woodwork.

I really wouldn't count it as a trailer, because most of it is previous footage we've already seen from earlier seasons.

Well, I started it. I'm six episodes into season 1, which means I've got just one more to go.

So far:
You actually might get caught up before the new season after all, Yoda. By the time you get to season 3 you won't be able to stop watching.

Yeah, we went through all seven episodes and the first episode of season 2 in a single day. I doubt we'll keep watching quite so quickly, but it might not be hard to catch up at all.

I am tempted to deliberately draw it out a little, though, so we've got a few episodes from the new season saved up. Not a fan of watching serialized shows live, when it can be helped.