Movie Tab II

Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right

いやらしい人妻 濡れる [Love - Zero = Infinity] (1994) -
(The director is said to be a Japanese Cronenberg, but this is by no means just a mindless worship. In fact, this film is different from what I've seen from Cronenberg. I like it way more than anything from the Canadian filmmaker, too. It's got a very dark mood, kinky sex scenes and a theme of vampirism for a good measure! Highly recommended to the likes of MovieGal.)
かたつもり [Katatsumori] (1994) -
(Naomi Kawase just makes some home videos, but they're somehow extremely poignant.)
Portrait d'une jeune fille de la fin des années 60 à Bruxelles [Portrait of a Young Girl at the End of the 1960s in Brussels] (1994) -
(Apparently, it is an episode from TV series about teenagers, or something, but this part directed by Chantel Akerman is nothing short of a genius. It's different from what I've seen from her, too, as it contains a lot of dialogue and is not slow.)
Niklashauser Fart [The Niklashausen Journey] (1970) -
(Lovely camera-work, but I'm not into politics. Thankfully, it was Godardesque-ramble kind of politics, so it wasn't that bad. Several scenes are impressive, but I still prefer other Fassbinder works.)
悪い奴ほどよく眠る [The Bad Sleep Well] (1960) -
(The opening twenty minutes are the most thrilling of the whole movie. And to think these are just scenes from a wedding! It is when Kurosawa's eye for detail and skillful tension-making really shows off and shines. After the ground-breaking introduction, the following minutes are calmer, but just as great. The very ending was amazing, too, but it's the shot of Koichi and Yoshiko rediscovering their love that I found the most intimate and moving. The saddest one has to be two men talking in the foreground and Mifune climbing a hill of trash alone. In that coat. It's not too long and the cut comes in just after a couple of seconds, but for me that shot sums up Mifune character's solitude.)

Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Outer Space (2000) - Peter Tscherkassky (Short)

Carnal Knowledge (1971) - Mike Nichols

Twilight Zone: The Movie (1983) - Spielberg/Dante/Landis/Miller

+

Moonraker (1979) - Lewis Gilbert

Oncle Yanco (1967) - Agnes Varda (Short)

Changing Lanes (2002) - Roger Michell

-

Beverly Hills Chihuahua 3 (2012) - Lev L Spiro

Tom & Jerry & The Wizard of Oz (2011) - Spike Brandt

First Daughter (2004) - Forest Whitaker

+

The Amazing Panda Adventure (1995) - Christopher Cain

+

Those last four were watched whilst staying in a hotel with nothing else on TV ...

Ten (Abbas Kiarastomi, 2002)
-

Woman In The Dunes (Hiroshi Teshigahara, 1964)
+

Blue Car (Karen Moncrieff, 2002)
+

Sonatine (Takeshi Kitano, 1993)

Brokeback Mountain (Ang Lee, 2005) (Rewatch)

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
American Sniper

I had a hard time staying awake during this. I laughed when the bullet flew out of the gun in slow motion.

Mediocre and cartoonish.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica: Eternal (Akiyuki Shinbo, 2012)
Did you watch it without watching the first one? That's crazy. It's like reading a 650 page novel from page 400 onwards. Of course you wouldn't like it.

No, I didn't watch the first one, but I very much doubt that it would have made any difference at all.
Actually the difference it would have made is that if I had watched the first one, I never would have watched the second one.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

The Naked City (Jules Dassin, 1948)

T-Men (Anthony Mann, 1948)

The Hawk of Wild River (Fred F. Sears)

Sabrina (Billy Wilder, 1954)
+

Wealthy businessman Humphrey Bogart gives his chauffeur’s daughter Sabrina (Audrey Hepburn) some advice.
When the Legends Die (Stuart Millar, 1972)

Run Lola Run (Tom Tykwer, 1998)

The Intervention (Jay Duplass, 2005)

Being John Malkovich (Spike Jonze, 1999)

Malkovich gets a beer can bounced off his head next to the New Jersey Turnpike.
I Won’t Play (Crane Wilbur, 1944)

In the Army Now (Daniel Petrie, Jr., 1994)

I Want to Live! (Robert Wise, 1958)

Ratatouille (Brad Bird, 2007)

The basic premise of the film is laid out up front as rat Remy (voice of Patton Oswalt) watches reruns of Chef Gusteau’s TV show.
Hitler Lives (Don Siegel, 1945)

Feast III: The Happy Finish (Jon Gulager, 2009)

Exodus (Otto Preminger, 1960)

The Suitor (Pierre Étaix, 1962)
+

Lonely young Pierre Étaix tries to pick up Laurence Lignères at a restaurant but doesn’t realize that she’s drunk until it’s too late, and he has to take her home and she turns out to be his neighbor.
Reservation Road (Terry George, 2007)

The Young Girls Turn 25 (Agnès Varda, 1993)

Une chamber en ville aka A Room in Town (Jacques Demy, 1982)
+
Bay of Angels (Jacques Demy, 1963)

Jeanne Moreau is addicted to the roulette wheel on the French Riviera, and Claude Mann tries to save her before she sinks him too.

Force Majeure (2014)

Big Hero 6 (2014)

Das Boot (1981)

Nightcrawler (2014)

Birdman (2014)

Knife in the Water (1962)

Calvary (2014)

Easy Rider (1969)

Audition (1999)

Eastern Promises (2007)

Ida (2013)

Breakfast at Tiffany’s (1961)

Maps to the Stars (2014)

I thought you would have liked Eastern Promises and Maps to the Stars more than that BlueLion. I thought you would have liked Cronenberg's style and Mortensen's performance in the first, and the themes of the latter sound similar to your favourite film, although I don't know much else about it to be fair.

Too bad that you didn't like Easy Rider as much as i imagined you would BL, same with Birdman but the formers rating means you wont have it on your 60s list .

I thought you would have liked Eastern Promises and Maps to the Stars more than that BlueLion. I thought you would have liked Cronenberg's style and Mortensen's performance in the first, and the themes of the latter sound similar to your favourite film, although I don't know much else about it to be fair.
Well, I must admit my hopes for Eastern Promises were pretty high, I expected something more than just a (mostly) average Russian mob drama. I thought it was well directed and acted throughout, but other than Mortensen's performance for me nothing truly stood out. It must be the first film I've seen to feature my favorite team though, and I liked that

Maps to the Stars was, well, pretty weird. It reminded me of Cronenberg's Crash sort of (no, thematically they're nothing alike, but in terms of mood and tone I noticed quite a few similarities). The only difference being that Crash is something I wouldn't refuse to give another go, whereas this one doesn't have much worth seeing

Too bad that you didn't like Easy Rider as much as i imagined you would BL, same with Birdman but the formers rating means you wont have it on your 60s list .
Oh I definitely enjoyed Easy Rider (and Birdman), anything that gets three stars is basically a thumbs up from me. There were some things in Easy Rider that didn't work for me though, mostly the religious bits and the strange editing in some sequences, which I felt was unnecessary.

But no, won't make my 60s list sadly

I loved Eastern Promises, I thought it was brutal but great, it had me hooked throughout. Viggo Mortensen is bad ass, and I think it has my favourite fight scene of all time.

I loved Eastern Promises, I thought it was brutal but great, it had me hooked throughout. Viggo Mortensen is bad ass, and I think it has my favourite fight scene of all time.
The naked shower scene? That one has alway came across particularly brutal because i have fought naked in a shower during school . Haha Catholic School the teacher was involved.. blah, yeah the teacher looked on and it was a friend of mine that stopped it .