Tár (Marin Alsop‘s criticism)

Tools    

One thing's for sure - I can't remember Blanchett ever being this good. Her command of English and German and the intensity at which she delivers her performance is absolutely jaw dropping.
Totally. She had to study German and piano and so many things from scratch. It’s incredible.

The interview she and Todd Field did is also worth a read:

https://variety.com/2023/awards/feat...235478402/amp/

Blimey!

Oh, and that rattling sound you hear in Lydia’s Porsche as she drives? It’s recorded from Field’s own car, never fixed properly after the accident. In other words, there are ghosts in “Tár,” which this ghost of Field’s real-life bad experience illuminates.
This film keeps on giving.

Nice review. I think that jogging scene is another one of those scenes or hints mentioned above.

WARNING: "Tar" spoilers below
As in the ghost element / guilt element that haunts Lydia

To quote myself - "Nothing about that story seems relevant to Alsop's experience here so I'd be curious as to what was going on with that story that was so pungent as to provoke those remarks."

One of the things I have heard about in the orchestral world, not just from outsiders but from a former neighbor who was a player is that, behind all that elegance and "civilization", is a snake pit full of rivalries and backbiting. Like some other professions where there's no occupational path outside the orchestra that doesn't seem like a step down (how many tubists do YOU know in other lines of work) getting your next step on the ladder depends on knocking someone else OFF the ladder, and, it's a small world, so everybody knows everybody. Opinions are harsh.

That's why I suspect that this movie has a light touch on truth and a heavy dose of fiction.

To quote myself - "Nothing about that story seems relevant to Alsop's experience here so I'd be curious as to what was going on with that story that was so pungent as to provoke those remarks."

One of the things I have heard about in the orchestral world, not just from outsiders but from a former neighbor who was a player is that, behind all that elegance and "civilization", is a snake pit full of rivalries and backbiting. Like some other professions where there's no occupational path outside the orchestra that doesn't seem like a step down (how many tubists do YOU know in other lines of work) getting your next step on the ladder depends on knocking someone else OFF the ladder, and, it's a small world, so everybody knows everybody. Opinions are harsh.

That's why I suspect that this movie has a light touch on truth and a heavy dose of fiction.
Indeed, my mother was a professional musician and I heard a similar story. Hence it seems strange to deny it for the sake of ‘being kind to women’. At least we’ve been spared, a horror film though this may be, actual breaking of bones and chopping off of hands, as in The Perfection and Black Swan.

One thing's for sure - I can't remember Blanchett ever being this good. Her command of English and German and the intensity at which she delivers her performance is absolutely jaw dropping.
You mean for an Australian she has a good command of English?

Same. For this movie she had to learn German & conducting & re-learn piano playing. Not to mention that she’s Australian & had to speak with an American accent.