Movies You Really Like But Can Not Explain It?

Tools    

There are so many that I just can not explain. Same thing with computer science and networking.

I just saw 8 1/2 and I just can not explain what I just saw but I loved what I saw. My favorite parts are the fat lady dancing to the kids on the beach and when Guido imagines himself fending off the women using a whip. I feel like I remember La Dolce Vita more and I have not even finished it. I believe it is about a struggling director who has fantasies about other women and loved ones and wants to create something worthwhile. Although unlike the old man in Ikiru, Guido fails to make something and aborts the movie.

Nashville is another one as there were 20 characters to follow. It might be in my annual top 10 or 20 because this one felt like such an exciting event for me. I believe it was about mostly about the lives of such characters along with a concert that they all perform in. Then fame seems to be the main force of the movie driving assassinations and stripping to occur in such scenes.

I thought Inglorious Basterds was a good one too. I knew I liked it but like The Hateful 8, it just fell out of my grasp hours after watching it. I liked the scenes where they shot up all of the Nazis and when one character “thinks he just created his masterpiece”. I could not invest in any of the characters though.

What movies can you not explain?

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

After Hours, Baby Driver, Cyborg, Delirium... could probably do the whole alphabet if I had the patience.

Movies You Really Like But Can Not Explain It?...There are so many that I just can not explain. Same thing with computer science and networking...
You're going to have to explain that I get that people can love movies but can't find the words to explain just why they love it....But 'computer science and networking'? Are you saying you love those but can't explain why?

Me...There's lot of movies I like and can't readily find the right verbiage to express my admiration but I still know why, it's just stuck in my head.

You're going to have to explain that I get that people can love movies but can't find the words to explain just why they love it....But 'computer science and networking'? Are you saying you love those but can't explain why?

Me...There's lot of movies I like and can't readily find the right verbiage to express my admiration but I still know why, it's just stuck in my head.

Well, if he could explain why you can't explain it, then you would presumably be able to explain why you like a film, obliterating the meaning of the prompt.

Sneakers comes to mind first. I've probably rated other thrillers and maybe even other techno-thrillers higher, but if the DVD was on a shelf alongside them and I was forced to choose one, I'd pick it without thinking twice about it.

I'm pretty sure I could explain why I like any movie
Same, but I just skipped over that and listed the movie that would be the hardest to explain or makes the least sense "on paper."

There's always an explanation, it just takes some honest self-reflection. If you lack that ability someone that knows you well or has analyzed you in great detail can explain it for/to you.

There's always an explanation, it just takes some honest self-reflection. If you lack that ability someone that knows you well or has analyzed you in great detail can explain it for/to you.

Well, there is always some sort of explanation. A neurobiologist would bang on about pleasure centers and dopamine. A psychologist would excavate the associations of our childhood. A sociologist would note the cultural coding of our age and so on. But, so what? Appetitive preferences need no justifications. I like the taste of chocolate. I just do. I am sure that there is a reason for it, but no reason is needed.

Likewise, it is no "poor" or "wrong" thing to lack an explanation in some cases. Sometimes not knowing is part of the fun (e.g., this is why we like "suspense"). There are two ways of seeing a river and sometimes viewing the river with pure awe is preferable to the view of the riverboat navigator.

Some films are mysteries to us. Sometimes they trade upon quirks of character and context and mysterious alignments that just make them work for us. What matters is not understanding the magic trick, but enjoying the magic trick. And movies are magic tricks. That sometimes their magic works on us in ways that we don't immediately understand is not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Correct, there is no need, nor is it a problem or wrong, and I accept/enjoy mysteries..
I'm just sayin what you're saying..
Well, there is always some sort of explanation.

Victim of The Night
I actually do agree with crumbs on this one. I can or could with a little time to reflect on it, say why I liked any movie, I believe. But as has also been pointed out above, that is not always the best course of action.
I've gone on and on about how much I love Paris, Texas. The vague and near-metaphysical way to explain why is that it just cut me so deeply, just hit me, very hard, in a deep place in my soul. But, as I considered the thread-question, I actually started to think about how it did that. Which in some ways is wonderful. But it also started to make me want to stop thinking about it. Like the magic is worth more than understanding how the trick worked, even if it's obvious enough that a lay-person like me could understand and explain it. I prefer to live with just the feeling.
And to SM's specific point in the OP, 8 1/2 actually also did that.

Victim of The Night
Sneakers comes to mind first. I've probably rated other thrillers and maybe even other techno-thrillers higher, but if the DVD was on a shelf alongside them and I was forced to choose one, I'd pick it without thinking twice about it.
Well, Sneakers is just great. That's all there is to it.
Of course the trick is, why is it so great when it seems so simple?
But to answer that, we have to deconstruct and there's more pleasure in not doing that.

Being able to explain why I like a film is not me explaining away the mysteries which makes a piece of art work. It's simply me talking about how those mysteries affect me.