Action comedies(ish)?

Tools    

Hi everyone, perhaps someone could recommend a few action films with a good sense of humour, for lack of a better term? I watched Top Gun: Maverick last night and loved it, so I guess something like that will qualify.

I’m a bit weary of even thinking about such films as “comedies” (certainly not Maverick), but I do think people will have an intuitive sense of what they are; even Lethal Weapon fits the bill. Not to get bogged down in discussing algorithms here, but researching “action comedies” yields abysmal results like The Spy Who Dumped Me, god help us all, so I’m really weary of using that.

I guess the closest thing to a definition would be action films that don’t deliberately try to elicit laughs but have a kind of underlying humour to them; but there I am, repeating myself. Anyway, sorry for the convoluted post; all suggestions appreciated, as ever.

The doors of wisdom are never shut. - 'Socrates'
True Lies
Did you know that in the 1980s movie PREDATOR the titular character was not originally portrayed by Kevin Peter Hall. It was in fact Jean-Claude Van Damme donning a much more insect inspired full body suit before he left the production which then led to the recasting and redesigning of the famous hunter.

'Everything, every where at all at once' - even though I disliked it alot.
'Ichi the killer'
'The Hidden Fortress'
'Escape from New York
'Riders of Justice'
'The Raid'
'They Live'

'Everything, every where at all at once' - even though I disliked it alot.
'Ichi the killer'
'The Hidden Fortress'
'Escape from New York
'Riders of Justice'
'The Raid'
'They Live'
Yeah, EEAAO was very weird. I wouldn’t say I’m looking for that sort of thing. It was one where the comedy really didn’t work for me. Thanks so much for the recs, though. Ichi and They Live I haven’t seen in ages.

Thank you - that’s an old favourite. That stripping scene, heh. Jamie rocks.

Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang (2005) It's a good one, comedy without being overly silly, with focus on: action, characters and story.
Thanks - yes, that’s a great one.

The Naked Gun. More crime comedy then action comedy, but always worth a watch.
That sounds exactly right. I feel like I may have seen it, but don’t seem to remember, so exciting times ahead.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
Midnight Run (1988)

Highly entertaining movie. Great cast, Superb characters...

I recommend the new movie from Machine Gun Kelly "Good Mourning". It was pretty funny.

I recommend the new movie from Machine Gun Kelly "Good Mourning". It was pretty funny.
I read a review of that recently. A bit apprehensive for a range of reasons, but I guess I’ll definitely give it a try - thank you.

Con Air (1997)

A lot of funny moments.
Here is one of the best movie characters of the 90's, superbly portrayed by John Malkovich. The cult character - Cyrus "The Virus".
Good inclusion of Steve Buscemi too.

Con Air (1997)

A lot of funny moments.
Here is one of the best movie characters of the 90's, superbly portrayed by John Malkovich. A cult character - Cyrus "The Virus".
Good inclusion of Steve Buscemi too.

Oh course! I adore this film. Cyrus is one of a kind.

Die Hard with a Vengeance (1995)

The original Die Hard trilogy meets the criteria as a whole. The funniest of them is the third, I think. What a superb comic duo - Willis/Jackson in a company of the great Jeremy Irons.

Die Hard with a Vengeance (1995)

The original Die Hard trilogy meets the criteria as a whole. The funniest of them is the third, I think. What a superb comic duo - Willis/Jackson in a company of the great Jeremy Irons.

Yes, it does indeed. Know it by heart, unfortunately, but can’t argue with that.