The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

8/80on the list
45/80 seen

Here's my prediction for what will show on my ballot

1. Silver Lining's Playbook (2012)
2. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017)
3. most definitely Birdman (2014)
4. highly unlikely
5. no way in h ll
6. highly likely
7. doubt it
8. probably not
9. don't think so
10. could be Insidw Llewyn Davis (2013) I wasn't sure about this one but was hoping.
11. maybe
12. don't know
13. probably
14. should but won't
15. probably not
16. The Descendants (2011)
17. probably not
18. it should but won't
19. Moonrise Kingdom (2012)
20. maybe
21. Spotlight (2015)
22. probably not
23. Boyhood (2014)
24. probably not
25. don't think so
I found Inside Llewyn Davis to be hilarious. I was the only person laughing in the movie theater. So I don’t know if I am being idiosyncratic or not. To me, this movie is a comedy. I also liked it because of its familiarity. I grew up in this scene. My parents worked at a coffee house in the Philly area and a few folk singers couch surfed at our apartment. I loved the music and the cat as well.
Birdman has such a fabulous energy that I left the theater feeling as if I was high on cocaine. Or at least what I imagine that is like. As for Michael Keaton’s prowess as an actor being unnoticed till then, well that is not true. He was a huge comic star in the Eighties and did quite a few dramas as well. They were not as highly acclaimed as his comic work because they weren’t great movies. This is no reflection on Keaton. There certainly did feel like a lull in his output in the Oughts but who knows why. Maybe he didn’t like what he was being offered.

I figured Birdman would be top 20 or close to it, but I never expected Inside Llewyn Davis to be this high, but I'm happy it is. I had it at #23 and Birdman at #11.

My List:
2. Take Shelter (#67)
4. Midnight in Paris (#45)
5. The Shape of Water (#52)
9. Nightcrawler (#55)
11. Birdman (#21)
13. Burning (#35)
15. A Separation (#90)
16. Ex Machina (#49)
22. Knives Out (#74)
23. Inside Llewyn Davis (#22)
25. The Mill and the Cross (1-pointer)

Hint Leaderboard (Current Rankings)

Each time you correctly guess a hint (and are the first person to do so), you'll receive a point.

LAMb EELYAK: 11
rauldc14: 6
Torgo: 6
MovieMeditation: 4
Chypmunk: 3
Apex Predator: 3
PHOENIX74: 2
KeyserCorleone: 2
Thief: 2
Deschain: 1
Little Ash: 1
Burning: 1
Miss Vicky: 1
seanc: 1
Thursday Next: 1

Both are films I watched as recommendations for this countdown and I really enjoyed them. Neither made my ballot (I had to double check if I'd put Birdman on there), but happy to see them here.

With Coen movies I usually love them or hate them and I wasn't particularly interested in Llewyn Davis, but I do consider them to be must see filmmakers. I watched it for this countdown and it was a hilarious surprise.

Birdman is also very good but by now I don't remember much about it.

5. The Shape of Water (#52)
21. Certified Copy (#84)
22. Knives Out (#74)
24. Inside Llewyn Davis (#22)

I think 2 more of mine show up but I'm not sure. Maybe another surprise?

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
Since I keep an eye on the award seasons for years, I saw both Inside Llewyn Davis (2013) and Birdman (2014) back in the days. Then I found them both just OK movies, currently outside my fixed top 60 of the decade.
I was a bit annoyed couple of years later, noticing that, for some reason, the system started injecting Llewyn Davis into the crowd, making it so popular within the movie forums including this countdown...
Anyway:
  • Inside Llewyn Davis
    - (68/100)
  • Birdman
    + (73/100)

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Hint Leaderboard (Current Rankings)

Each time you correctly guess a hint (and are the first person to do so), you'll receive a point.

LAMb EELYAK: 11
rauldc14: 6
Torgo: 6
MovieMeditation: 4
Chypmunk: 3
Apex Predator: 3
PHOENIX74: 2
KeyserCorleone: 2
Thief: 2
Deschain: 1
Little Ash: 1
Burning: 1
Miss Vicky: 1
seanc: 1
Thursday Next: 1
I'm playing for second. I must admit Lamb has killed it. Bravo.

Anyone gonna take a shot at naming the entire Top Twenty?
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I think this is like the 20th "I need to rewatch that" but I really need to rewatch Birdman AKA I Refuse To Type Out the Full Title Come On.

I guessed Birdman twice. I used the full title once before hitting my limit.

I haven't seen Silver Lining Playbook or Inside Llewyn Davis, and don't particularly have any interest in changing that.

Tenet since I actually kind of loved that one.

I was deeply impressed by Birdman. I thought it was a flawless picture and story with perfect acting all around-- in my top 3 of 21st Century films. I have it at #1.

To paraphrase what I've said in past countdowns: if Birdman is #21, I can't wait to see what the top 20 are...

I've got two more coming unless something weird happens - good chance for a third, a dark horse chance for a fourth, and a remote-remote chance of a fifth.

It looks like my top 10 is actually showing up on the countdown (sans my #5), which will leave me at a total of 12. And yet, somehow I feel out of step with this list, which, admittedly, I was expecting at the beginning.

My Ballot  

I'm playing for second. I must admit Lamb has killed it. Bravo.

Thanks! I'm trying not to pull a DeSean Jackson, even if

Wild. It looks like at least three of us had Silver Linings and Three Billboards back-to-back in our top five.

I want #20 to be Good Time. Dare I dream? But seems more likely to be Carol.

EDIT: Maybe it's not politic to mention two guesses in one post? I'll say Good Time is what I'm actually guessing/manifesting.

20: Carol
19: Get Out

Edit: Stealing Takoma's Carol guess, since they are going with Good Time instead.

I was a bit annoyed couple of years later, noticing that, for some reason, the system started injecting Llewyn Davis into the crowd, making it so popular within the movie forums including this countdown...:
This has me very interested. Do you care to elaborate?
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."