The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I've seen Resident Evil: Retribution, Gifted, Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows, 21 Jump Street, Iron Man 2, Danny Collins (only person in the theater for that one), and Tucker and Dale vs. Evil and liked them all.

I had considered In Time (2011) but I didn't want to get drawn and quartered.

I liked that one too!

"thi_is_the_girl"... Is this the result of slacking or a simple SpelingError?
The result of my zoned out brain trying to post when I have a cold. Fixed though

The result of my zoned out brain trying to post when I have a cold. Fixed though

Thanks for powering through! Hope you get well soon!

Upside Down (2012)

Welcome y'all.

It's not a great film, but I also don't think it is awful. Now, off to the town square...

I had considered In Time (2011) but I didn't want to get drawn and quartered.
Nice to see some appreciation for those two sci-fi concept movies. I considered both for my ballot but just didn't have room.

Nice to see Teen Beach Movie get some love!

I do play the one pointer game, normally. I didn’t this time though. Seen a handful. Nothing I came close to voting for. Royal Affair was good though. That’s my guess for CR...
Both the wife and I really enjoyed Royal Affair and it was in the running for my ballot but got cut. Glad to see it make the 1 pointer list!

Here are a few questions:

1. What director do you think will be represented the most?

2. What year do you think will appear on this list the most?

3. What film do you think will be at #1? HINT: It's Mall Cop 2

1. Denis Villeneuve (obviously, it was his decade)

2. 2017

3. Fifty Shades of Grey... but seriously Blade Runner 2049

This ballot was the first time I used my 25th slot to highlight a one-pointer, which is Revenge, an incredibly well done and criminally underseen thriller. It’s on Shudder.

Looking forward to the countdown!

Here are a few questions:

1. What director do you think will be represented the most?

2. What year do you think will appear on this list the most?

3. What film do you think will be at #1? HINT: It's Mall Cop 2

1. Denis Villeneuve, though he didn't get any help from me.

2. 2012. Why? I don't know. I just picked a year.

3. Mad Max: Fury Road, but that's just wishful thinking.

We all know The Hottie and The Nottie isn't making number 1.

I forgot the opening line.
For the first ever time on one of these countdowns my 1-Pointer has been included on another person's ballot - that makes me equally excited and disappointed. Now I'm going to be hoping it makes the top 100 - but there seems little chance of that. Still, these things are unpredictable!

Out of the 1-Pointers that made it, I've only seen Iron Man 2, Tucker and Dale vs Evil, 21 Jump Street, Death at a Funeral and Danny Collins.

Damn - missing that one-pointer has me in even more anticipation. Get set for a crazy first few entries I reckon...

(I've seen Kitbull too now.)

(and I've seen The Burden as well - I love when people put short films on the 1-pointer part of their ballot.)

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Welcome to the human race...
Resident Evil: Retribution was my one-pointer. How much I deliberately gamed the one-pointer system is ultimately irrelevant because I always seem to half-ass these lists anyway so it's almost easier to pick one to merit the distinction than it is to fill out the back half of a ballot once I've got the obvious 4.5- or 5-star favourites out of the way and then have to essentially throw darts at which of the countless 4-stars are going to get on the list above all others (choices which I probably wouldn't be satisfied with anyway).

Anyway, Resident Evil: Retribution. As one of the few people on the forum willing to stump for a vulgar auteur like Paul W.S. Anderson, I've grown to enjoy his exercises in adapting the long-running horror game franchise that play fast and loose with any sense of faithfulness to the games' narratives and characters. Instead, he just uses the brand as a blank check with which to put together whatever action-horror spectacles he feels like starring Milla Jovovich as Alice, a wholly original character whose odyssey through a world infested by zombies and mutants has been quite an enjoyable one. Fifth entry Retribution is arguably the jewel in the franchise's crown as it embraces the absurd artifice of the proceedings and the Umbrella Corporation's plans for world domination via undead pandemic, putting Alice in a top-secret facility full of fake cities and pitting her against evil clones of former allies as well as the usual monsters. I definitely understand that this kind of maximalist B-movie approach isn't going to be for everyone (how else could I consider it for one-pointer status) but it represents a specific type of movie that I quite simply enjoy and that means more than countless other allegedly better works.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
First time I've made the one-pointers.

Danny Collins is an excellent Al Pacino movie. His more intimate films often seem to get overlooked, which is a shame since he does such a brilliant job in them. Every second of him onscreen here is a joy, and he creates a character who's wasted so much of his life, and feels like he has no idea where to go. But thanks to his charismatic and effortlessly likable performance he convinces us it's never too late to turn your life around for the better, and in turn makes for a film that is equal parts funny, heartwarming and inspiring. I strongly recommend all Pacino fans to give it a watch.

Danny Collins was on my watchlist for this countdown, but unfortunately I didn't have time to watch it before the deadline. I'm still planning to watch it when I get a chance.

Kitbull is mine. One of Pixar's best shorts. It's available on Pixar's official YouTube Channel. Check it out if you haven't seen it.

I didn't care for the animation style in Kitbull, but I loved the story.

Upside Down (2012)

Welcome y'all.

It's not a great film, but I also don't think it is awful.

I loved Upside Down. I thought it would have made my list, but there were so many great movies to consider, and unfortunately it just missed my list. I'm glad to see that it got some recognition here.