Best Movie In a Horror Series

Tools    

IMHO, Part V only had two things going for it: Debisue Voorhees.

OK, I'm having some second thoughts. Maybe I've been too harsh.

Part V does have more in its favor than I've given it credit for. Some awesome kills, a serviceable enough Final Girl, a child who's less annoying than we have to put up with in most movies, and the hillbilly neighbors are a trip. I mainly just don't care for the tone of this one overall -- darker and more mean-spirited, not that that's necessarily a bad thing in a horror movie. It somehow just doesn't sit well with me, compared with the rest of the series. Plus, of course,
WARNING: "Friday the 13th Part V: A New Beginning" spoilers below
IT'S NOT JASON!!
-- probably the most common complaint.

Originals
Alien
Amityville Horror
Conjuring
Cube
The Exorcist
Final Destination
Godzilla
Hatchet
Hellraiser
The Hills Have Eyes
I Know What You Did Last Summer
Insidious
Jaws
King Kong
Predator
Return of the Living Dead
Saw
Scanners
Scary Movie
Scream
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
The Wickerman

First Sequel
Dawn of the Dead
Friday the 13th Part II
Gremlins II
Ouija Origin of Evil
Return of the Blind Dead
Psycho II
The Silence of the Lambs
Sleepaway Camp II
Wrong Turn II

Part III
Body Snatchers
Children of the Corn
Nightmare on Elm Street Dream Warriors

Part IV
Halloween IV - Return of Michael Meyers

Remake
The Thing
The Fly
Evil Dead
The Ring

Also jot me down for Phantasm II. Kicked part one's assnick in a big way, honey!

Quad barrell sawed off shotgun, laser sighted gold flying spheres with cuisin art rotating blades, dead chicks doing bedroom rodeo, string activated front door head blower offer, a very capable James LeGros in the shoes (temporarily) of Mike (good comedic writing, esp the beginning when Mike fools the psych counselor), a Hemicuda amidst a scenic mountainside road, still maintains the atmosphere and music (adapted) of part 1,..the list goes on. Best in the series, bar none!

Originals
Alien
Amityville Horror
Conjuring
Cube
The Exorcist
Final Destination
Godzilla
Hatchet
Hellraiser
The Hills Have Eyes
I Know What You Did Last Summer
Insidious
Jaws
King Kong
Predator
Return of the Living Dead
Saw
Scanners
Scary Movie
Scream
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
The Wickerman

First Sequel
Dawn of the Dead
Friday the 13th Part II
Gremlins II
Ouija Origin of Evil
Return of the Blind Dead
Psycho II
The Silence of the Lambs
Sleepaway Camp II
Wrong Turn II

Part III
Body Snatchers
Children of the Corn
Nightmare on Elm Street Dream Warriors

Part IV
Halloween IV - Return of Michael Meyers

Remake
The Thing
The Fly
Evil Dead
The Ring
Cool format, but I'm a bit confused: Are you counting "Silence of the Lambs" as a first sequel, or do you mean "Red Dragon", "Silence"'s first sequel/prequel?

Cool format, but I'm a bit confused: Are you counting "Silence of the Lambs" as a first sequel, or do you mean "Red Dragon", "Silence"'s first sequel/prequel?
No, The Silence of the Lambs is a sequel to Manhunter which was released in 1986. Red Dragon is a remake of Manhunter.

And because it's the internet someone is going to fight me on this

Harris actually wrote Silence of the Lambs in response to Manhunter because Brian Cox did such a great job as Lechter that he wanted to use the character more.

No, The Silence of the Lambs is a sequel to Manhunter which was released in 1986. Red Dragon is a remake of Manhunter.

And because it's the internet someone is going to fight me on this

Harris actually wrote Silence of the Lambs in response to Manhunter because Brian Cox did such a great job as Lechter that he wanted to use the character more.
Nah, no argument. It's just that for me, Hopkins defined the series, so in my mind I don't really include "Manhunter" with the others. Technically, though, I probably should.

In any case, "Silence" is definitely the best in that series!

Wow!! "Final Destination" is very awesome and horror full movie.

I don't actually wear pants.
Friday The 13th - The first one
Halloween - The first one
A Nightmare On Elm Street - the first one
Saw - Of the first two I've seen, the first one
Scream - Of the two I've seen, the first one
Alien - Can't say (only seen the first)
Predator - Can't say (only seen the first)
Phantasm - Haven't seen any of them!
Evil Dead - Army of Darkness
Child's Play - Hated the first, so I didn't bother with the rest
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre - The first one is my #1 horror ever, but I haven't watched any of the sequels
Hellraiser - Only saw the first, and don't care enough to watch the rest
Final Destination - Seen none
Paranormal Activity - Seen none
Godzilla - Return of Godzilla (the 16th one!)

Also jot me down for Phantasm II. Kicked part one's assnick in a big way, honey!

Quad barrell sawed off shotgun, laser sighted gold flying spheres with cuisin art rotating blades, dead chicks doing bedroom rodeo, string activated front door head blower offer, a very capable James LeGros in the shoes (temporarily) of Mike (good comedic writing, esp the beginning when Mike fools the psych counselor), a Hemicuda amidst a scenic mountainside road, still maintains the atmosphere and music (adapted) of part 1,..the list goes on. Best in the series, bar none!

Another fan of the series around here, awesome to meet one 2 has always been my favorite. Got the recent Blu-ray set with the whole series, a must-own for any fan.

Phantasm - Haven't seen any of them!

Definitely a series worth tracking down and seeing if you never have. They were all recently re-issued so seeing them should be a lot easier. Very odd and unique series of films that's a standout for sure.

The truth is in here

Get Out

A pretty odd one, since it really is more of a political satire than horror. Still, it's pretty good. I thought all of the actors did a great job. Everyone of them really seemed to care, even those who only were in small parts. Particularly Daniel Kaluuya and Stephen Root, whereas Daniel is a terrific promising new young star since he showed such a wide variety of emotions in a realistic way, while Root was very funny but also very creepy when he needed to be. The guy is a ******** crazily versatile actor. I completely forgot he's the same person who played Milton.

The story is your classic "weird house with weird people" one, but unlike many other ones this one had social commentary to go with it. I think that makes it really stick out, and differentiate from many other horror movies in this vein. I was laughing pretty hard sometimes, especially whenever Root would say something, or any time Rod appeared on screen (who is played by LiRel Howery, another pretty new actor). And how the family tried to act educated and socially aware while still coming off as pretty damn racist since they are still guilty of racial profiling was pretty clever.

Occassionally it did get creepy. Not really approaching scary, but the hypnosis scene for instance was very well-directed and disturbing. You could feel Chris' terror as he just kept falling and falling...

But.

Here's the catch. It had a twist which I predicted before even starting the movie, and when it came I kinda groaned.
WARNING: spoilers below
I don't mean the fact that the family has black people come over to use them as slaves, because that was pretty clever. It made sense in the context of the movie. It's that they turned Rose evil. Allison Williams handled the transformation impressively for sure, I still think the acting from her was top-notch. It's just it irritated me they took that route with her character. Wouldn't it have been nice if she saw how crazy her family was and tried to break free from it? Wouldn't even have to make her survive, she could die anyway, but it's just the fact that even she was part of the pact made the movie come off as a bit cynical.

Overall, maybe a bit overhyped but still a solid satirical horror.

You can't win an argument just by being right!

Get Out

A pretty odd one, since it really is more of a political satire than horror. Still, it's pretty good. I thought all of the actors did a great job. Everyone of them really seemed to care, even those who only were in small parts. Particularly Daniel Kaluuya and Stephen Root, whereas Daniel is a terrific promising new young star since he showed such a wide variety of emotions in a realistic way, while Root was very funny but also very creepy when he needed to be. The guy is a ******** crazily versatile actor. I completely forgot he's the same person who played Milton.

The story is your classic "weird house with weird people" one, but unlike many other ones this one had social commentary to go with it. I think that makes it really stick out, and differentiate from many other horror movies in this vein. I was laughing pretty hard sometimes, especially whenever Root would say something, or any time Rod appeared on screen (who is played by LiRel Howery, another pretty new actor). And how the family tried to act educated and socially aware while still coming off as pretty damn racist since they are still guilty of racial profiling was pretty clever.

Occassionally it did get creepy. Not really approaching scary, but the hypnosis scene for instance was very well-directed and disturbing. You could feel Chris' terror as he just kept falling and falling...

But.

Here's the catch. It had a twist which I predicted before even starting the movie, and when it came I kinda groaned.
WARNING: spoilers below
I don't mean the fact that the family has black people come over to use them as slaves, because that was pretty clever. It made sense in the context of the movie. It's that they turned Rose evil. Allison Williams handled the transformation impressively for sure, I still think the acting from her was top-notch. It's just it irritated me they took that route with her character. Wouldn't it have been nice if she saw how crazy her family was and tried to break free from it? Wouldn't even have to make her survive, she could die anyway, but it's just the fact that even she was part of the pact made the movie come off as a bit cynical.

Overall, maybe a bit overhyped but still a solid satirical horror.

Good review, mtti. We watched this last night. My rating was not as generous as yours but I'm keen for a rewatch. I thought the couple in particular were really good actors and had great chemistry. He's a lovely looking guy.

The truth is in here
I thought the couple in particular were really good actors and had great chemistry.
I agree with you Dani that the couple had great chemistry, but that's also why I couldn't stand the ending. I was rooting for both of them, but then they just make that change?! Kind of a middlefinger.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I agree with you Dani that the couple had great chemistry, but that's also why I couldn't stand the ending. I was rooting for both of them, but then they just make that change?! Kind of a middlefinger.

I think the director got nervous because of all the BLM stuff at the time. I didnt like the ending at all.