Custom Lists: Beta Testing

Tools    

Where else would I go to see it the list, then? It's not showing up in the lists section or anywhere else I've tried looking.
Nowhere yet. I'm just testing the basic functionality. How and where it'll be displayed is next.

Also when I look at it from the Custom Lists link you posted, the blanks spaces are still blank.
Yeah, it won't be retroactive. Can you try removing and re-adding them? Should be okay now but I wanna be sure.

Okay, weird accent-y things should be fixed, a long with a handful of other things.
Can confirm that my e-grave, e-acute and a-umlaut in the 1930s list are all back to normal now

Cool, thanks guys. Good to know.

Feel like the basics are feeling pretty solid so I'm gonna try to integrate a bit next week, add a few more things, and then release it wider and see how it goes.

Thank you. And thanks for being patient while it trudges along. I can get a little perfectionist with things sometimes, layout-wise, but I'm determined to get this up sooner than most features of this size and just improve/iterate afterwards.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Gbg - that one does exist in the TMDb database (from where this site takes its info) as it comes up as an option under the general Movie search. The Custom Lists area only brings up a cut-down list of possibilities when searching (as does the My Favourites area) so I've learned that if a movie doesn't show as an option to try alternative titles ..... for instance if you use the German title for that particular Griffith/Johnson movie (Sommerparadies) in the Custom Lists movie search the movie you are looking for will appear as an option for you:

Thank you for the info. I didn't even know that it had an alternate title, or that it was even available in German.

Okay, weird accent-y things should be fixed, a long with a handful of other things.

I'll toy around with which order to add things and other stuff like that, but for now, is anyone having any issues with the basic functions still, or is it operating smoothly?

@Yoda,
This is strange. The weird accent-y thing is fixed on my list for Wall-E, but when I mouse over the movie posters on the main page where it shows all of my lists, it still has the weird accent-y thing.

Thank you. And thanks for being patient while it trudges along. I can get a little perfectionist with things sometimes, layout-wise, but I'm determined to get this up sooner than most features of this size and just improve/iterate afterwards.

I've entered 7 lists in the past few days, and it looks like most of the bugs are fixed, and it looks great.

Thanks for your help, and all the hard work you do to keep this site up. It's one of the best sites on the 'net.

@Yoda
I was entering a few more lists, (I'm still trying to find bugs for you ), and I found one minor issue that I don't know if you have any control over.

I was inputting my list of My Top 25 Movies of the 1950s, and the movie The Gazebo (1959) shows as a 1960 movie. (I wouldn't care except that it looks a bit strange to have a 1960 movie on a list of top movies from the 1950s.)

You mean me? Kei's cousin?
Made a list of Miyazaki films and it came out perfectly okay.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Miyazaki List.JPG
Views:	274
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	64746  

Thank you for the info. I didn't even know that it had an alternate title, or that it was even available in German.
You're more than welcome - for future reference, should it be needed, IMDb generally has an "Also Known As" section for each movie in it's 'Details' section

I know at some point you'll possibly add a 'Delete List' function (I hope so anyway) but atm if you delete all the fillums from a list and then exit back to Custom Lists, the last fillum 'deleted' is actually still being retained as being on the list. Just thought I'd mention it.

Ah, yeah, nice catch. That's because I have a safeguard in there to stop all films from deleting if it receives an empty list. I'll have to think about that one.

@Yoda,
This is strange. The weird accent-y thing is fixed on my list for Wall-E, but when I mouse over the movie posters on the main page where it shows all of my lists, it still has the weird accent-y thing.
Not too weird on my end, I need to do UTF-8 encoding on those characters and I'd just done it in one place and not another. Thanks for catching that.

@Yoda
I was entering a few more lists, (I'm still trying to find bugs for you ), and I found one minor issue that I don't know if you have any control over.

I was inputting my list of My Top 25 Movies of the 1950s, and the movie The Gazebo (1959) shows as a 1960 movie. (I wouldn't care except that it looks a bit strange to have a 1960 movie on a list of top movies from the 1950s.)
Yeah, unfortunately that's determined by our data source. I've seen this once or twice, and usually when I investigate it turns out it was released limited in December and then wide in January, leading to slightly different interpretations. In this case TMDB lists it as coming out in January of 1960, so I assume something similar is going on.

It does make for a weird look on some of the decade lists. I have a way to override which I do sometimes, but can't be totally fixed since there's an element of subjectivity there in TMDB's data.

Okay, you should be able to delete the last one now. Hopefully in a way that doesn't accidentally delete the whole list in other circumstances, too.

Ah, yeah, nice catch. That's because I have a safeguard in there to stop all films from deleting if it receives an empty list. I'll have to think about that one.
I kinda hoped it might serve as some sort of temporary 'delete list' function but can understand why you've coded what you have. If/once a 'Delete List' option is there I can't imagine why someone would see a need to clear a list out and then 'save' it so probably not really an issue.

You're far too speedy dude
Wrote the above before seeing the below....
Okay, you should be able to delete the last one now. Hopefully in a way that doesn't accidentally delete the whole list in other circumstances, too.
Tested and works

I kinda hoped it might serve as some sort of temporary 'delete list' function but can understand why you've coded what you have. If/once a 'Delete List' option is there I can't imagine why someone would see a need to clear a list out and then 'save' it so probably not really an issue.
Yeah, the list has to be created independent of the entries so I think it's okay if it's blank. I'll probably just make a rule so you can't make it public if it's empty.

You're more than welcome - for future reference, should it be needed, IMDb generally has an "Also Known As" section for each movie in it's 'Details' section

Thanks again. I usually just scroll though that section to check the genres. I barely notice the rest of the info in that section.