The MoFo Top 100 of the 2000s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I tried watching There Will Be Blood for the Westerns Countdown, but I got bored with it and gave up. Seeing how much love there is for it, I might give it another chance someday.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Thief should only post one film tomorrow and have us guess what the #1 film be.
Or guess how many points #1 had. Closest to the actual wins a DVD of said movie.

The tradition has always been that the final two films are revealed simultaneously.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Or guess how many points #1 had. Closest to the actual wins a DVD of said movie.
Which version? The deluxe six-hour directors cut boxed set with souvenir ring and prosthetic Hobbit feet?

Welcome to the human race...
There Will Be Blood was my #4. That review is one I wrote forever ago and undoubtedly looks a lot rougher than what I'd write about it these days, but I stand by my initial five-star rating (back in the days when I would give five stars after a single viewing).

A system of cells interlinked
Paid for and mailed by Raul, since it was his idea.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I wonder if "There Will Be Blood" would have got the #1 spot had I participated, because it would be my #1.

The reason I didn't participate, was because my 25th favorite movie from the 2000s isn't even good. I went through the movies in my head, counting down them, and felt it would give points to average and undeserving movies, tipping the scales by default.

Obviously, "No Country For Old Men" is in there, but I'm curious what the other one is. Hope you all had fun.

616 points, 33 lists
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
Director

Peter Jackson, 2001

Starring

Elijah Wood, Ian McKellen, Liv Tyler, Viggo Mortensen

651 points, 39 lists
No Country for Old Men
Director

Ethan Coen, 2007

Starring

Tommy Lee Jones, Javier Bardem, Josh Brolin, Woody Harrelson

The Movie Forums Podcast

The Top 100 of the 2000s List Podcast

Go behind the scenes and find out what it's like to compile one of these lists from new list Curator @Thief. Learn about several films that just missed the cut, and how the last few ballots changed the winner.

The best way to listen is to subscribe with iTunes. The next best ways are to just download it with this link (or add the podcast feed into your RSS reader). Or you can just listen right now with this embedded player:

Fellowship of the Ring was my #4. I've said it a couple of times already as the other two rolled in, but I'm a huge fan of the whole trilogy. Saw them all in theaters back then, and it was a midnblowing experience. I did a special episode of my podcast back in December dedicated specifically to the prologue, but I talk a bit about my experience with the film. Bottom line, it is my favorite because I think it does an excellent job of introducing us to this world (especially for someone who wasn't familiar with it, like me) and it presents us with interesting and conflicted characters. Whether it's Frodo, Gandalf, Aragorn, or my favorite Boromir, all of them making tough decisions for the greater good. The latter has what is probably my favorite arc of the whole trilogy, and maybe that's why I love this the most. In addition to all of that, it has creepy bad guys and kick-ass action. What more can I ask?

However, No Country for Old Men was my #3. Another one that messed with my mind back in the day. I've been a Coen brothers fan for a while now, so I knew this would be right within my wheelhouse. Their unique mixture of violence and humor is probably at its peak here. Pair that with such a stellar cast... from Josh Brolin, Kelly McDonald, and Tommy Lee Jones to Woody Harrelson and of course, Javier Bardem. The latter creates a unique and memorable antagonist that will be remembered years and decades later. Well, here we are 15 years later so... The Coen brothers filmography is one I have a hard time ranking, obviously because of how great they are, but this is easily Top 3 for me, as well as Top 3 of the decade.

That's all folks!...

Seen: 83/100

My ballot:  

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Great job Thief! You did a good job of keeping your composure of my craziness. And did a damn great job with the countdown too.

Critics

Critics thoughts on our #2, The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring...

It currently has a 92% Certified Fresh Tomatometer score among critics, and a 8.8/10 score on IMDb (with 1,800,000 votes).

Roger Ebert gave it ★★★ and said:
"That Fellowship of the Ring doesn't match my imaginary vision of Middle-earth is my problem, not yours. Perhaps it will look exactly as you think it should. But some may regret that the Hobbits have been pushed out of the foreground and reduced to supporting characters. And the movie depends on action scenes much more than Tolkien did."
Meanwhile Sean Burns, of Philadelphia Weekly, said:
"It's a collection of spectacular set pieces without any sense of momentum driving them into one another. The damn thing just goes on and on."
As for our MoFo reviewers, @The Rodent said:
"Though there are quite a few changes in the book-film transition, including a few changes to characters and even the odd plotline, it's still a fantastic movie and captures pretty much everything a fan would want from the source material. And it works for anyone who hasn't read the books too, it's that good."
And @Citizen Rules said:
"Subjectively: I was bored with the lack of exposition and felt I never was invested enough to care about what was happening on the screen. It didn't help that I couldn't make out 1/3rd of the dialogue, thanks to the sound mix being extremely heavy on the music score. The endless creepy creatures and sword fighting did little for me either. While I was amazed at the sheer spectacularness of it all, I struggled to have any connection to the actual story."

Reply to Topic