Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Andrei Rublev - Epic and masterful storytelling from Andrei Tarkovsky. Just the fact that he tackled something like this in only his second full length movie tells you a lot about the man. Judging from some of his on-the-record statements he didn't lack for confidence. At least that's the way I took it. He had a deep faith in himself and in what he was doing. And it's only bragging if you can't back it up and after watching three of his films the man's self confidence was not misplaced.

From what I understand (and it's not much) this is a 1966 re-editing of The Passion According To Andrei, which was in part due to Soviet restrictions and censorship on the films religious themes and what the state considered subtext critical of the ruling apparatus. Anyway, the film is divided into ten distinct parts including a prologue, eight segments dealing with various chapters of Rublev's life and an epilogue. This film was a massive undertaking with two gargantuan sequences. One involving the sacking of the town of Vladimir by a group of Tatars in league with the Grand Dukes disgruntled younger brother and the other the seemingly interminable and elaborate casting of a gigantic iron bell.

This runs almost three and a half hours but as with any good movie you really should not be aware of the passage of time. The only thing I'm sure of is that I want to watch this again. One because it is worth your time and multiple screenings and two because there's no way anyone can catch all that is going on during a single viewing. This a work of art and as with any work of art you're bound to discover new things with each repeat visit.

95/100

Been way too long since reading Rum Punch I do remember Tarantino mixing some things up so THANKS for the specifics.

I am a fan of both Tarantino and of Elmore and have always enjoyed the marriage of the two via Jackie Brown.
I'm a fan of both too. I just wanted Tarantino to get props where they were very much due. The Max/Jackie relationship may be the best in any of his films and it's almost entirely his creation, culminating in a perfect cinematic kiss that would be lessened a tad if they'd been banging for most of the flick. It's one of the "mature" elements that the film is rightfully praised for.

Basically, Rum Punch isn't my favorite Leonard book but it's far and away my favorite Leonard adaptation, and there are many that I do love.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I appreciate that.
I have a few of Leonard's I do enjoy more when it comes to writing.
One of his adaptions I have not read but would love to is 3:10 to Yuma. Have you read that one?

Went on a small Almodovar binge:

Volver: the only rewatch but I hadn't seen it since it's release. Among his most charming films and Cruz has never been more enthralling. A film pulsing with life, color and passion that really strikes a nerve of generational tragedy and abuse in a way that feels honest yet not wallowing. It's something that appears in many of his films but it's perfectly realized here.

5/5

Broken Embraces: A work of metafiction that uses a love triangle to explore the dynamic between the moneymen and artists in the business/artform of filmmaking.

4/5

Bad Education: Gael Garcia Bernal gives a fearless and masterful performance that asks more of him than I've ever seen. Also a metafiction, the film develops via multiple timelines, some "real," others fiction, in a complex analysis of *checks notes* the impact of tragedy and abuse through the years. Like Broken Embraces, he flirts with a Hitchcock meets Highsmith type of thriller and blends it into his melodrama.

4/5

Parallel Mothers: The title and poster for this film were first seen in BE. It's fitting as he more or less perfects his relationship as allegory (this time for the Spanish Civil War) and I can't sing it or Cruz's praises enough. A thoughtful, moving, often intense, and, as he's apt to do, erotic affair. Cinema is still alive!

5/5

I appreciate that.
I have a few of Leonard's I do enjoy more when it comes to writing.
One of his adaptions I have not read but would love to is 3:10 to Yuma. Have you read that one?
Ya know what, I haven't read any of his westerns. I should change that ASAP. I'll keep an eye out next time I hit up my local bookstore.

Ya know what, I haven't read any of his westerns. I should change that ASAP. I'll keep an eye out next time I hit up my local bookstore.
I've only read Valdez is Coming from his westerns, but enjoyed that quite a bit. Bad Lieutenant recommended it to me back on RT, IIRC.

I've only read Valdez is Coming from his westerns, but enjoyed that quite a bit. Bad Lieutenant recommended it to me back on RT, IIRC.
I own but have not yet watched the movie. Maybe I should try a pairing next month

Andrei Rublev - Epic and masterful storytelling from Andrei Tarkovsky. Just the fact that he tackled something like this in only his second full length movie tells you a lot about the man. Judging from some of his on-the-record statements he didn't lack for confidence. At least that's the way I took it. He had a deep faith in himself and in what he was doing. And it's only bragging if you can't back it up and after watching three of his films the man's self confidence was not misplaced.

From what I understand (and it's not much) this is a 1966 re-editing of The Passion According To Andrei, which was in part due to Soviet restrictions and censorship on the films religious themes and what the state considered subtext critical of the ruling apparatus. Anyway, the film is divided into ten distinct parts including a prologue, eight segments dealing with various chapters of Rublev's life and an epilogue. This film was a massive undertaking with two gargantuan sequences. One involving the sacking of the town of Vladimir by a group of Tatars in league with the Grand Dukes disgruntled younger brother and the other the seemingly interminable and elaborate casting of a gigantic iron bell.

This runs almost three and a half hours but as with any good movie you really should not be aware of the passage of time. The only thing I'm sure of is that I want to watch this again. One because it is worth your time and and multiple screenings and two because there's no way anyone can catch all that is going on during a single viewing. This a work of art and as with any work of art you're bound to discover new things with each repeat visit.

95/100
I might as well use this opportunity to link an analysis I wrote on the film a while ago. There's a couple changes I need to make to it, but overall, I think it's a pretty comprehensive breakdown of the film's themes:

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...d.php?&t=59941

Electra Glide in Blue - I like to think this is a 1973 cult classic but it might be a small cult. Maybe a one man cult. It's one of my favorites when I was younger from an era that provided many. Robert Blake stars as motorcycle cop John Wintergreen. He patrols the highways of Arizona with his partner Zipper Davis (Billy Green Bush) and wants more than anything else to be a homicide detective. He and Zipper encounter a crazed old hermit named Willie (Elisha Cook) wandering in the desert who tells them that another recluse and friend of his named Frank is dead in his cabin. Wintergreen is convinced that the apparent suicide has been staged and that it's actually a murder. He argues with the coroner (Royal Dano) until Homicide Detective Harv Poole (Mitchell Ryan) shows up and sides with him.

Poole then takes John on as his new driver and starts imparting his so called wisdom which includes racist and fascist rants. The guy turns out to be a blowhard who thinks nothing of brutalizing suspects and anyone else he feels isn't American enough.

This being a early 70's release most of Pooles enemies list consists of hippie types. Wintergreen on the other hand is an easygoing and peace loving type and the two men eventually have a falling out over barmaid Jolene (Jeannine Riley) that Wintergreen has been bedding on the sly.

The film was produced and directed by James William Guercio who had mostly worked in the music industry with the band Chicago, several members of which appear in the movie. It was his first and only directing gig and according to Robert Blake he and cinematographer Conrad Hall essentially co-directed the film. It's not a bad movie. Beautifully captured by Hall with a winning performance by Blake. There's enough little touches and well tailored shots to keep one's interest. It might not belong in the pantheon of 70's classics but like I said, I think it's worthy of cult status.

75/100

Duplicate Account (locked)
Identity (2003)

WARNING: "contains hidden movie theme not revealed till the end" spoilers below

interesting to see a commentary on Dissociative Identity Disorder made back then when it's the creme of the crop as a conversation piece now adays.

Enjoyed pretty much everything, except for the final 20min or so. On to the next Guy Ritchie movie on my list.

Victim of The Night

Volver: the only rewatch but I hadn't seen it since it's release. Among his most charming films and Cruz has never been more enthralling. A film pulsing with life, color and passion that really strikes a nerve of generational tragedy and abuse in a way that feels honest yet not wallowing. It's something that appears in many of his films but it's perfectly realized here.

5/5
This movie was my first Almodovar and first Cruz and I immediately became a fan of both.

This movie was my first Almodovar and first Cruz and I immediately became a fan of both.
It's easily his most accessible from what I've seen and is the perfect introductory point. I can't remember if I saw this one or Talk To Her first but they made me become an instant fan for life.

I think my favorite of his may be Pain & Glory, though.

5/5

Broken Embraces: A work of metafiction that uses a love triangle to explore the dynamic between the moneymen and artists in the business/artform of filmmaking.

4/5

Bad Education: Gael Garcia Bernal gives a fearless and masterful performance that asks more of him than I've ever seen. Also a metafiction, the film develops via multiple timelines, some "real," others fiction, in a complex analysis of *checks notes* the impact of tragedy and abuse through the years. Like Broken Embraces, he flirts with a Hitchcock meets Highsmith type of thriller and blends it into his melodrama.

4/5

Parallel Mothers: The title and poster for this film were first seen in BE. It's fitting as he more or less perfects his relationship as allegory (this time for the Spanish Civil War) and I can't sing it or Cruz's praises enough. A thoughtful, moving, often intense, and, as he's apt to do, erotic affair. Cinema is still alive!

5/5
This is a director I should probably get into, but haven't. I think I saw Bad Education years ago, but don't remember anything.

This is a director I should probably get into, but haven't. I think I saw Bad Education years ago, but don't remember anything.
I've at the very least really liked everything I've seen. He's quite prolific though because even having seen around 10 of his films, I've seen less than half of his output.

Start with Volver. I think it's the perfect gateway. You could watch that, All About My Mother and Parallel Mothers as a bit of a motherhood trilogy.

It's easily his most accessible from what I've seen and is the perfect introductory point. I can't remember if I saw this one or Talk To Her first but they made me become an instant fan for life.

I think my favorite of his may be Pain & Glory, though.
Talk to Her was my first & it’s still my favorite.

Talk to Her was my first & it’s still my favorite.
Talk To Her had remained my favorite from him until Pain & Glory. A rewatch of either would likely change things up but they're both incredible. Volver, All About My Mother and Parallel Mothers are just below them.

Talk To Her had remained my favorite from him until Pain & Glory. A rewatch of either would likely change things up but they're both incredible. Volver, All About My Mother and Parallel Mothers are just below them.
Pain and Glory was very good.