The MoFo Top 100 of the 2000s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I know that at this point most people can probably guess what the Top 5 or Top 3 will be, and that what people are revealing are films that "have no chance", but that doesn't make it any less of a guess.
With popular films like No Country and Fellowship yet to make a showing, if Merantau and District B13 are somehow in the top 3, feel free to disqualify my entire list for revealing that I voted for them before they showed up on the Countdown.

This late in the thread, I personally like seeing people write about the "no chance films" they voted for. It injects life into the last couple days when the only surprise left is what exact order those last few fan favourites will fall into.

Conversations and guessing games typically die down, so it's nice to have something new to talk about and not have to cram it all into a bloated last day post. As Holden said, this is typically when people start talking about their misses, but that leads into your earlier line about the justification simply being that "it had been done before".

If I knew you felt so strongly about it before, I would've waited until the very end to mention anything not already in the Countdown. Sorry for my contribution in derailing the reveals. I won't post again until it's all said and done.

Apparently Laura Harring is an honest-to-goodness countess by (brief) marriage. She was married for two years in the late '80s to the great-great grandson of Otto von Bismarck.

With popular films like No Country and Fellowship yet to make a showing, if Merantau and District B13 are somehow in the top 3, feel free to disqualify my entire list for revealing that I voted for them before they showed up on the Countdown.

This late in the thread, I personally like seeing people write about the "no chance films" they voted for. It injects life into the last couple days when the only surprise left is what exact order those last few fan favourites will fall into.

Conversations and guessing games typically die down, so it's nice to have something new to talk about and not have to cram it all into a bloated last day post. As Holden said, this is typically when people start talking about their misses, but that leads into your earlier line about the justification simply being that "it had been done before".

If I knew you felt so strongly about it before, I would've waited until the very end to mention anything not already in the Countdown. Sorry for my contribution in derailing the reveals. I won't post again until it's all said and done.
The first line of my post was "I have no issues with people revealing their lists". If I "felt strongly about it", I would've said or done something about it. Most of you have been revealing your partial ballots and that's ok, I guess. Like Holden said, it's the way it's been done, and once again, "I have no issues". Since the issue was brought up, I offered my reasoning to not encourage it as a host, but I haven't stopped anyone from doing so. So nobody should stop because of that.

Apparently Laura Harring is an honest-to-goodness countess by (brief) marriage. She was married for two years in the late '80s to the great-great grandson of Otto von Bismarck.
Yep. Royalty indeed

A system of cells interlinked
I didn't get that idea from Thief's post at all. *shrugs*

I prefer The Straight Story but that's another story for another decade.

Worth a watch for sure, and it shows that Lynch can spin a straight-forward yarn if he so chooses. It's about an old timer that rides his John Deere across multiple states to visit his estranged, ailing brother.
I second this recommendation.

Can’t wait to mention the movies that made my list but not the countdown.

I always tend to get The Straight Story and The Lawnmower Man muxed ip

A system of cells interlinked
I am also looking forward to some of the more obscure titles people had on their lists, so I can add them to my watch (or re-watch) list. Most recently re-watched In the Mood for Love, and started Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind at lunch today as my next re-watch!

I always tend to get The Straight Story and The Lawnmower Man muxed ip
Now I'm imagining Richard Farnsworth with one of those glowy spandex suits

I like Lynch, and Mulholland Drive actually worked really well last time I saw it. Think I’ve seen it two or three times.

I think I like some of Lynch’ other work more, but it’s good. As you probably guessed by now, it wasn’t on my list…

Now I'm imagining Richard Farnsworth with one of those glowy spandex suits
You can thank me later

The first line of my post was "I have no issues with people revealing their lists". If I "felt strongly about it", I would've said or done something about it.
The "Generally speaking" that proceeded it (implying that it might not be the case now), followed by a list of reasons why you don't like the idea that included the phrase "ruining the experience of the reveals" made me think you really didn't like us posting about these films. I thought this was you finally saying something about it.

I was doing weird logic problems all morning, so I might've been focusing on the wrong parts of what you said.

I didn't get that idea from Thief's post at all. *shrugs*
I probably just misinterpreted what was posted. I just wanted to make it clear that if Thief was actually strongly against it (and I had known that fact), I obviously wouldn't have posted about some of the other films on my list.

I won't post again until it's all said and done.
Also this was supposed to say that I wouldn't post again about my ballot. Too late to edit it now haha.

I was just apologizing for doing something the host seemingly didn't approve of, and explaining why I personally like to see some of this stuff late-Countdown.

Mulholland Drive was #12 on my ballot and, if I had rewatched it before I submitted my ballot, it might have even made it higher. The way it builds to its mystery, dispersing some occasional surreal scene throughout it (the diner, the night club, the cowboy) which are juxtaposed against the narrative momentum created by the central mystery involving Betty and Rita - only for Lynch to drastically ramp up the surrealism with the final act is really something. Since the buildup works so well, it's easy to be caught of guard by the final act. Not quite my favorite Lynch, but it's pretty close to it.

1. The Death of Mr. Lazarescu (#78)
2. Pan's Labyrinth (#7)
4. Children of Men (#17)
7. A Serious Man (#66)
9. 28 Days Later (#45)
11. Memento (#11)
12. Mulholland Drive (#4)
13. Shaun of the Dead (#20)
15. In the Mood for Love (#12)
16. Requiem For a Dream (#16)
18. The Pianist (#31)
20. Moon (#48)
23. Sunshine (#88)
24. Zodiac (#9)
25. The New World (#99)

Mulholland Dr. is another film everybody seems to love, but I only slightly like. My favorite scene is when Naomi Watts "acts" with Chad Everett. That's "real" and doesn't need twists to make commentary about Hollywood vs. reality. I guess I'm just a wet blanket, sitting all alone in the corner at this big party Lynch is having with everyone else. I do think the film is interesting and leads to some thought-provoking ideas but I'm just not fully drawn in. Sometimes I find Lynch's atmosphere and "audacity" downright silly, but I do find this one better than most.

It pretty much made sense to me the first time - at least my interpretation. Then I read the experts and their explanation deflated me and the film. Are there really any films which don't allow someone to "engage" with them? It seems that opposite ones engage people who are looking for "opposite things". I don't want my films to be spoon-fed, but I'd like to know my interpretations partially agree with what the creator intended. If not, why isn't someone's interpretation of a film as "idiotic nonsense" make as much sense as the interpretation of it as "poetic beauty"? Sorry about the comments. They're not meant as a debate or a popularity contest because I'll lose that. Just think of it as the loyal opposition saying hello and telling you to have fun as much as you can because sometimes I apparently don't.

I'll champion a normal film - my #6, The Heart of the World.

My List

1. The Incredibles
2. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
3. King Kong
5. Ratatouille
6. The Heart of the World
7. Downfall
8. Up
9. The Dark Knight
10. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
11. Everything Will Be OK
12. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
13. Talk to Her
14. Tell No One
15. WALL·E
16. Children of Men
17. Pan's Labyrinth
18. Spirited Away
19. The Pianist
20. A.I. Artificial Intelligence
21. Pride & Prejudice
22. Hotel Rwanda
25. City of Life and Death
Yeah, @mark f and his explanation of his thoughts about Lynch pretty much match mine so no, Mulholland Drive had no chance of making my list. I do have a few Lynch movies that I enjoy but that's for another time.

And @Citizen Rules, @edarsenal, and @ynwtf I also completely forgot about putting Open Range on my list and it definitely would have been in my Top 5. I'm upset about this because I love that film so much. This is what happens when I wait till nearly the last minute to compile my list, thinking I had everything in order. Oy!

#2. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King 8
#3. The Dark Knight 10
#4. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers 15
#5. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl 63
#8. Unbreakable 62
#10. Million Dollar Baby 57
#15. Shaun of the Dead 20
#18. The Royal Tenenbaums 35
#20. Iron Man 83
#21. Finding Nemo 44
#22. Fantastic Mr. Fox 70
#23. The Descent 80
#25. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang 76

The "Generally speaking" that proceeded it (implying that it might not be the case now), followed by a list of reasons why you don't like the idea that included the phrase "ruining the experience of the reveals" made me think you really didn't like us posting about these films. I thought this was you finally saying something about it.
No, man. In general I have no issues, but as a host, I felt I couldn't endorse it nor encourage it. The only reason I gave was that it could "set a precedent", but I'm new here and like Holden said, that's the way it's been done. That's the gist of it. No more, no less.