Movie You're Watching Tonight

Tools    

Expect to be disappointed hence have been putting off.

Yeah, if I hadn’t seen anything else of his, I could have called this good. But it pales in comparison and is rather boring.

Repeat for the 27th HoF
Now here’s a movie.

Expect to be disappointed hence have been putting off.

Yeah, if I hadn’t seen anything else of his, I could have called this good. But it pales in comparison and is rather boring.
Director is over-rated IMO. I hated A Separation. I have this movie in my Netflix Q & hope I enjoy it.

Director is over-rated IMO. I hated A Separation. I have this movie in my Netflix Q & hope I enjoy it.
A Separation is good in my view, but I prefer About Elly (that is outstanding). There is also The Past (2023) which I quite liked.

Many of his early films are among my favourites, but I don’t disagree that he may be a tad overrated now, as his last two films (this and Everybody Knows, the Cruz/Bardem one) are nothing like his early work. With Everybody Knows I felt he wasn’t at home with the Spanish context/setting (and why he would want to do that is inexplicable, like he woke up one morning fancying himself an Almodóvar).

But with A Hero I fear it’s more long-term than that. He seems to be losing a certain sharpness & descending into Dostoyevsky territory somewhat. That’s just my view, of course.

A Separation is good in my view, but I prefer About Elly (that is outstanding). There is also The Past (2023) which I quite liked.

Many of his early films are among my favourites, but I don’t disagree that he may be a tad overrated now, as his last two films (this and Everybody Knows, the Cruz/Bardem one) are nothing like his early work. With Everybody Knows I felt he wasn’t at home with the Spanish context/setting (and why he would want to do that is inexplicable, like he woke up one morning fancying himself an Almodóvar).

But with A Hero I fear it’s more long-term than that. He seems to be losing a certain sharpness & descending into Dostoyevsky territory somewhat. That’s just my view, of course.
IIRC, Everybody Knows was atrocious. Feel certain I bailed out quickly.