The 27th General Hall of Fame

Tools    

Thunder Road (Jim Cummings, 2018)
Imdb

Date Watched: 01/20/21
Rewatch: No.

This didn’t work for me. This movie really tried too hard with its attempts at awkward comedy. Rather than making me laugh, it just made me uncomfortable and the result of that was that I found Jim to be a very off-putting character and frankly had no desire to root for him. He struck me as an incompetent buffoon - as an officer and as a father- and I just felt nothing for him. If Cummings had dropped his awkward shtick and just made a straight drama, or even toned it down, I might’ve connected on some level but such was not the case.

Honestly, the relief of nominating this film for me was that I know it's kind of a love-it/hate-it kind of style, so I don't have to be sad about the low scores because (hopefully) a few people will really dig it.

Honestly, the relief of nominating this film for me was that I know it's kind of a love-it/hate-it kind of style, so I don't have to be sad about the low scores because (hopefully) a few people will really dig it.
That's what I did in the last main HoF with The Celebration, in fact. I wasn't expecting for it to win, but I was curious to see how well everyone would respond to it.

even the things i think are safe picks end up in this category lmao.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
The Love it/Hate it films can be an intriguing gamble. They definitely bring out a lot of discussions.

I had to watch it twice which seems to be becoming a habit for me with Cosmic noms.
I'm not sure if I said this the last time you watched a nomination multiple times during a HoF, but I really appreciate your commitment. You don't have to rewatch anything you're on the fence about, but you always seem determined to figure out how you feel about each film, and that's really impressive.

Actually this isn't even a horror movie, just horror themed I guess I'd say. I don't even know if I'd call it a horror comedy.
I've been thinking about this, and I think I'm just going to call it a comedy. That's the one genre that remains consistent throughout the entire film.

The cast is extremely likable, and in the end I felt like I had watched a feel good movie. That's the last thing I expected. Great nom!
Glad you liked it in the end! And yeah, that feeling like you had watched a "feel good" movie is exactly why I nominated it (in addition to fans of filmmaking possibly enjoying the last act). It's actually a very wholesome and sweet film.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Jaws

re-watch

Every February, Cineplex in Canada will play old movies for a week or two. I did a double feature of The Matrix and Jaws a few years ago. Great day.

What can be said about a film that everybody and their mother has talked about? Not much really. Iconic music that people will hum when in the water or slowly creeping up on others. Iconic scenes of people being attacked in the water or nails scratching on a chalk board. The troubles of the production helped with the tension of not seeing the shark. Spielberg gives the characters room to breathe and actually BE legitimate people and not just cardboard cut outs for the blockbuster machine. Jaws is simply...a classic.

I love the locked off shot on the boat with the mayor. We get important information, characters are framed perfectly, the shot never moves, but we get movement in the shot. Beautifully composed.

I was able to go on the Jaws ride in Florida multiple times before they shut it down to make room for Harry Potter.

Suspect's Reviews

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Jaws

re-watch

Every February, Cineplex in Canada will play old movies for a week or two. I did a double feature of The Matrix and Jaws, Great day.

What can be said about a film that everybody and their mother has talked about? Not much really. Iconic music that people will hum when in the water or slowly creeping up on others. Iconic scenes of people being attacked in the water or nails scratching on a chalk board. The troubles of the production helped with the tension of not seeing the shark. Spielberg gives the characters room to breathe and actually BE legitimate people and not just cardboard cut outs for the blockbuster machine. Jaws is simply...a classic.

I love the locked off shot on the boat with the mayor. We get important information, characters are framed perfectly, the shot never moves, but we get movement in the shot. Beautifully composed.

I was able to go on the Jaws ride in Florida multiple times before they shut it down to make room for Harry Potter.
Impressive February watch in January!

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Impressive February watch in January!
Sorry, that was a few years ago. Seeing Jaws in the theatres was a great day.

Theatres are closed here due to covid. So I'm trying to stay away from those Scream spoilers as much as possible until they open again.

Every February, Cineplex in Canada will play old movies for a week or two.
Speaking of which, I miss those Flashback Film Fests.
The tickets were cheap, sometimes we had trivia, and the theatres were full of people who loved the films being screened.

I've probably told this story before, but my favourite experience was when my friends and I went to a screening of Jurassic Park, but the audio wasn't working, so everyone just starting making all the sounds themselves. It was so much fun that it was kind of disappointing when they fixed the issue haha.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Those are always fun!

There is the occasional Midnight Show during the Summer in a local theater that specializes in independent films as well as a truly OLD time theater WITH balcony seating and a pipe organ they play before the show and during intermission on the west side that runs old films and every once in a while a Three Stooges Marathon of some six shorts or so.
Back in the nineties in downtown Detroit one of the theaters for bands would do a special Monday Night at the Movies with drinks and people sneaking smokes.

Just watched another nomination I wasn't sure if I had already seen or not, and it turns out I had. This time it was Dolores Claiborne.

At this point I'm starting to think the number of films I've forgotten about watching might outnumber the ones I actually do remember haha.

At this point I'm starting to think the number of films I've forgotten about watching might outnumber the ones I actually do remember haha.
That's how I was with women. Back in the day.

Dolores Claiborne (Taylor Hackford, 1995)
Well, I figured this wasn't going to be for me and it certainly wasn't. I have a hard time with films that rely on you caring about a reveal that's coming up because I just never do. I do not care what Dolores did or didn't do nor would I in any movie. Set up, pay off storytelling is soo passe. I don't want to rag on it too hard because it never had a chance with me and there's a couple little touches I did enjoy like some (some) of the colour grading. Some of the scenes have so little life in them and it looks pretty dope and the eclipse was cool I just so wish there was a way to make that the last scene instead of having another 20 minutes following it. It's unfortunately got more going against it than just my inherit bias as its just too dramatic to take seriously and it kind of feels like a TV movie as a result and the score is just awful, soo cartoony for no good reason. Elfman would not have been my first pick for this type of film that's for sure. Uhhh, yeah, its a no from me dog.