The MoFo Top 100 of the 2000s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I always get sad when I am reminded that MV didn't like Way Of The Gun. Another surefire film for the list I didn't send in.
Don't think I ever hear any love for Way of the Gun glad to hear some. Great flick!

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Booooo to all the American Psycho haters, every single scene is a laugh riot!

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Have not seen The Man Who Wasn't There, Waking Life, or Amores Perros.

Iron Man Is in the upper echelon of favorite Marvel films. it definitely paved the way for everything that followed getting all us comic geeks pretty d@mn excited considering all the dismal failures in the decades previously.
Watched The Descent with my roomie, she thoroughly liked it and I'd be a liar if I claimed otherwise.
American Psycho is a pretty decent dark comedy. Not a huge fan but I do enjoy it a couple of times I've seen it.

Films Watched 12 out of 22 (54.54%)
17. Mother (#96)
25. A Bittersweet Life (One Pointer)

One Pointers: 10 out of 38 (26.31%)

I haven't seen The Descent since it was in theatres. Hated it at the time.
I remember digging American Psycho but also haven't seen it since I was an edgy highschooler when it would have had max appeal for me. Both of these its been far too long.

Okay! The Descent was on my list. Love this movie, and its director. He's directed several movies that I love and even one great episode of Game of Thrones. Glad to see it here. I also love American Psycho though it didn't make my list. The chainsaw drop down the stairwell is one of my favorite scenes in all of film, so I guess that makes me either a sicko or someone with a sense of humor, or both?

Since some people have taken to veiling their lists, I think I'll do the same. Seems fun!

EDIT: Crap! Tried to used the spoiler tag, but it failed for me as I haven't done it in a while. So anyway, right out in the open again:
#20.Iron Man 83
#23.The Descent 80

Okay! The Descent was on my list. Love this movie, and its director. He's directed several movies that I love and even one great episode of Game of Thrones.
Yep. Marshall directed two episodes of Game of Thrones ("Blackwater" and "The Watchers on the Wall")

Since some people have taken to veiling their lists, I think I'll do the same. Seems fun!

EDIT: Crap! Tried to used the spoiler tag, but it failed for me as I haven't done it in a while. So anyway, right out in the open again:
#20.Iron Man 83
#23.The Descent 80
Just a reminder that you can only reveal the films that have been listed already in the countdown (and the one-pointers). Nothing more. At the end of the countdown, we can all reveal our complete ballots and share any thoughts on them.

Trivia

The Descent

Did you know that...
  • the cast was supposed to be mixed, but Neil Marshall's partner recommended him to have an all-female cast? To avoid clichés, he sought the advice of female friends.
  • Marshall barred the cast from seeing the actors in full creature make-up until their first appearance on screen?
  • the actresses disliked the dialogue for the scene where Sarah finds Beth? They told Marshall and the three went to a nearby pub where they rewrote the dialogue on a napkin.
  • all the cave scenes were filmed on built sets? 21 separate cave sets were built which were carefully used with different angles. The entrance in the below picture is CG.

Trivia

American Psycho

Did you know that...
  • David Cronenberg was the original choice to direct?
  • after Cronenberg walked out, DiCaprio was attached to the project for a while, even suggesting potential directors (Oliver Stone, Danny Boyle, Martin Scorsese)?
  • Christian Bale was Marry Harron's original choice, and he agreed to the role on good faith (no contract)? When the studio brought DiCaprio, Bale remained committed, turning down movie roles and auditions for 9 months because he was sure DiCaprio would drop and he would step back in.
  • during the chainsaw chase scene, Bale would wear a sock over his penis and some tennis shoes between takes?

Yep. Marshall directed two episodes of Game of Thrones ("Blackwater" and "The Watchers on the Wall")

Just a reminder that you can only reveal the films that have been listed already in the countdown (and the one-pointers). Nothing more. At the end of the countdown, we can all reveal our complete ballots and share any thoughts on them.
Thanks, @Thief! I was referring to Blackwater in particular. I forgot that he directed a second one.

And thanks for the reminder on the reveal rules---I got a little confused because some folks are still covering theirs up. So I thought I had to again for some reason. It's been a long week for me. 🤪

I forgot the opening line.
80. The Descent : My 2000s movie watching marathon paid off in several instances already - I rewatched The Descent just a few weeks ago - it is a film that I can watch and enjoy multiple times. I am surprised as hell though, that's it's showed up in a top 100 for the decade. Well, go The Descent! I'm happy for it. I'm claustrophobic, so the build-up in this film is supremely uncomfortable for me - and I really enjoy being made uncomfortable like that for some reason when watching a movie. By the time the real horror kicks in I've already been set on edge by the panic and despair of these cave explorers (there's a word for them I'm sure) and horror really works when you've been put in that place. Dark, bloody, desperate and scary it is, it didn't come into consideration for my list.

79. American Psycho : There was a big hullabaloo when American Psycho the novel was published, and some of that notoriety carried over into the movie version. I only wish I'd read the novel so I can make some kind of comparison. I count it as good, even though it doesn't rise to absolute greatness. It definitely put Christian Bale on my radar - without even realising this was the kid from Empire of the Sun. This is something that wants to tell us something in a very loud and up-front kind of way, though I'm guessing the kind of people it pontificates about are usually the ones that don't get it. It's a real feel-bad movie, and was never one of my favourites - but when I've seen something multiple times it must be for a reason, so perhaps it deserves it's place on the list. This time I'm not surprised by a particular reveal.

2 films I've seen! But no votes this time. I've already dismissed 4 or 5 of my selections as no-hopers.

Seen 13/22

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Hint, hint...

WARNING: spoilers below

Hey, buddy. I don't feel well.
Don't wanna end up in a trunk
or driving around on my way to hell.

Hey, buddy. Help me with the job.
Don't want to leus this opportunity
To hang out with the famous and snob.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
25. American Psycho (2000)

It was going to be a toss-up for me between American Psycho and The Descent for my final spot. I'm glad they both made it and are right beside each other.

The Descent is one hell of a movie and I rewatched it this Halloween with a friend who had never seen it before. Claustrophobic as hell and extremely well shot. Marshall uses colour to his advantage when we're deep in a dark cave and It's always refreshing to see characters making genuinely smart decisions in horror.

American Psycho is a film that I've always had a soft spot for and most of it has to do with the performance from Bale. It's probably my favourite performance from him. Lots of people didn't know what to make of this movie when it came out and luckily it has amassed a cult following since then. It's funny, shocking and grotesque in all the right ways. I tend to quote it every so often and the people I'm quoting it to never seem to know what the hell I'm saying.

Suspect's Reviews

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I'm sure it's no surprise to anyone that I haven't seen The Descent and American Psycho.

79. American Psycho : There was a big hullabaloo when American Psycho the novel was published, and some of that notoriety carried over into the movie version. I only wish I'd read the novel so I can make some kind of comparison.
I was in high school when the book was published, and here in Finland, it sparked some discussions about the limits of art and free speech (yeah, we have a long history of stupid censorship). I remember talking about it in school, too, and reading the book myself mostly because of all the ruckus. Didn't really like it then, but the murders were certainly graphic and the movie pales in comparison in that regard.

Welcome to the human race...
I can't tell who's a harsher critic, Miss Vicky or Iroquis
Trick question, it's honeykid.

Hint, hint...

WARNING: spoilers below

Hey, buddy. I don't feel well.
Don't wanna end up in a trunk
or driving around on my way to hell.

Hey, buddy. Help me with the job.
Don't want to leus this opportunity
To hang out with the famous and snob.
No guesses today?