About the high end premium channel series....

Tools    

Account terminated on request
Directors and actors (and producers!) are focusing more and more on the paid channel series.

It's not like when I was a kid when TV means {shudder} "awful stuff".

Is there any thought to bridging that gap here in mofo?

I have no stake in the fight. It's nice to see a forum strongly dedicated to movies only. But nevertheless, many of the conversations regarding:
Direction
Acting
Cinematography
Story line
Plot development
....now more than ever before apply to some productions of quality that we can find on pay channels.

Not sure how I feel about this just yet.
They'll say "I don't care if he's a poet or cowboy, so long as he's a nice guy. But oh, I'm so attracted to that bad guy over there."
Understand this last part, and you'll get them all.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Not sure I'm tracking. What do you mean by High End Premium Channel Series? Are you referring to specific channels like HBO? Or streaming apps like Netflix?

Bridging the gap between what and what?

Not sure how you feel about better production and availability?

Like I said, I'm not tracking so my reply is just a shot in the dark. There are a lot of threads dedicated to television runs, streaming movies produced and/or distributed by Amazon and Netflix, all offering thoughts on quality or lack thereof. I think that's good.

Can you give an example of where you're wanting to go with this? It might be easier (at least for me!) to ping off something first than just say something that may not be your point.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

^I didn't even think of that. Probably more likely that than where I was heading lol.

You know, there are times in this forum where I feel like I've been as exacting as I can, and it still is met with confusion.

Not sure I'm tracking. What do you mean by High End Premium Channel Series?
(?)

Premium Channels (HBO/Starz/Netflix/Showtime/Hulu/etc.), and their series:
The Sopranos (HBO)
American Gods (Starz)
House of Cards (Netflix)
etc.
I'm not sure I'm tracking why you're not tracking. Premium channels and their series aren't terms I should use? Which terms would have been clearer; I'll be glad to use those.

Are you referring to specific channels like HBO? Or streaming apps like Netflix?
HBO is no different than Netflix in this regard.

Both show movies as well as original content.

Bridging the gap between what and what?
Ok, I don't know where the TV subforum (that Yoda mentions) is. I couldn't find it in the forum list, and it's everything is under a overall heading of "movie forums".

So if it exists, I apologize. I just couldn't find it. Where is it?

So from my new-to-the-forum perspective, this forum seems very movie only. Nothing wrong with that (as I said).

Not sure how you feel about better production and availability?
What are you referring to? My statement here:
"Directors and actors (and producers!) are focusing more and more on the paid channel series."
or this one:
"It's not like when I was a kid when TV means {shudder} 'awful stuff'."
In the former: Movie directors, producers, and actors are more and more getting into the premium channel series game.

See this for instance: These 10 big-name movie directors made the move to TV

In the latter case, it's not worth getting into. Absolutely everyone I know agrees: TV now is leagues ahead of showing the crap that it used to.

I have similar questions to ynwtf. Are you talking about television,
Yes! "Premium Channel" means TV.

and specifically making the TV subforum more prominent, for example?
Where is it? I'll check it out, but yeah, a "Movie Forum" is really covering the things I listed, and more and more we're seeing directors/actors/producers shifting their focus from mainstream movies to their series. It's not a trend that will result in the end of movies, but (as my link to the Boston Globe article shows), it's happening more and more.

From the main forum list look under the forum Intermission group for the Telivision and Music.

You know, there are times in this forum where I feel like I've been as exacting as I can, and it still is met with confusion...
I think that happens to all of us at times. I know it happens to me, so you're not alone in that.

Premium channels also might have meant Youtube channels, that's what they call a video up loaders stuff 'a channel'.

Anyway, yes you're right today's premium (pay per view) TV channels are making some really awesome series and movies too. I remember when I was a kid TV was about ABC, CBS & NBC...and that was it!

I don't watch TV or premium channels myself, BUT I know a lot of people here do.

As John-Connor and Ynwth mentioned we do have a TV sub forum. Perhaps given the popularity of TV these days maybe that should be a main forum. Maybe one of the lesser used main forums could be folded into another forum or changed to a sub forum.

I think that happens to all of us at times. I know it happens to me, so you're not alone in that.

Premium channels also might have meant Youtube channels, that's what they call a video up loaders stuff 'a channel'.
I've never personally seen that confusion with "premium channel". Moot at this point though, since we're now on the same page mostly.

Perhaps given the popularity of TV these days maybe that should be a main forum.

EDIT: TYPO PREVIOUSLY, I meant "NOT making quite that argument", as in red below

Ah. See, I'm not making quite that argument of popularity. I'm saying that of the fundamental tenets of all movies are more closely aligned with what's shown in premium channel series than ever before. It's come a long way since The Larry Sanders Show on HBO back in the early days of premium channels, and certainly is league upon league upon league ahead of where it used to be on broadcast.

To maybe [over] elaborate:
Movie Direction
Movie Acting
Movie Cinematography
Movie Story line
Movie Plot development
is SO closely aligned these days with these:
Premium Channel Series Direction
Premium Channel Series Acting
Premium Channel Series Cinematography
Premium Channel Series Story line
Premium Channel Series Plot development
That (as Yoda surmised from my top post) perhaps the subforum for TV (however the charter for that is set up) is due for higher prominence and not quite so hidden.

Just a thought.

Anyway, you see what I mean now, so:

Yeah, it's a good point, I should make it more prominent. Swamped this week but I'll make a note to think about ways to do this. I've been thinking of restructuring things anyway so this is a good excuse to do that.