Wordle

Tools    

Someone just tweeted me re the word “abbey” yesterday.

“I had to Google that **** XD

I'm from the US, no one really talks about that here”

I don't follow. What would the criteria be for success? It can't just be any dictionary word at any time, since you could "win" immediately. And lots of words will mesh when you've only determined a few of the letters, too.

The tension (and genius) of the game is that, when you've matched a few letters, you have to decide to risk an actual guess, versus using a word you don't expect to be right in order to find more letters (or nail down more locations).
True, but I would like to “win immediately.

I would not have described QUERY as a British word, but then, that might be because I work in IT. Requests to databases are called "queries" so it's a lot more familiar for some people than it is for others.

I would not have described QUERY as a British word, but then, that might be because I work in IT. Requests to databases are called "queries" so it's a lot more familiar for some people than it is for others.
Exactly.

Turns out the creator actually lives in Brooklyn so maybe he’ll stick to Americanisms eventually.

Duplicate Account (locked)
Someone just tweeted me re the word “abbey” yesterday.

“I had to Google that **** XD

I'm from the US, no one really talks about that here”

EDIT: haha, i misspelled the word the first time i posted this as "abby", i thought that was funny...i'll stfu now...

That was the word i guessed yesterday, "abbey", referring to this comment:

might be cheating and all, but i use that strategy when when my brain feels exhausted of possibilities, kinda like how i play videogames: i only look up the answer when i feel really trapped.

i just won my second wordle on the 4th guess, because i was struggling. I found out what 3 of the letters were, and one was in the right position, so i did a google search "5 letter words that end with _." Then, i saw one that british people like to use immediately (you can PM me for the word if you want) that conformed to the letters that i found to be correct, and voila, ya' brits!

Stirchley, do you like to play crossword puzzles? My family would play them, they're more open ended and difficult. I like wordle because it's easy enough for anyone with a computer to play.

i had been reading 1984 by George Orwell and Daphne Du Maure over the past couple months, and this is a word that british people like to say. Honestly, just have fun with these games, nothing is being measured and there's no "cheating", it's all just based on how much you want to challenge yourself, as humans we're always going to grope for something we can use. Wordle is a fun game and it's better than crossword puzzles in the sense that it's easier. I needed google and british authors to solve that puzzle, it took me most of the guesses!

All right, 4 for 4.

Not bad today considering my first word contained none of the needed letters.

Looks like i might lose this one, folks...i'll let you know if i don't. It's better to use words that don't have repeating letters when you're trying to eliminate possibilities.

WARNING: "Warning - screenshot from todays game with guesses" spoilers below

Genuinely got it at the second attempt today

Wordle 210 2/6

⬛⬛🟨⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Probably best to spoiler-tag screenshots if posted for the current word, in case people look in here before playing and would rather not see any prior info. I'll upload mine tomorrow to prove I actually did it today in just the two attempts

Today's word was
WARNING: spoilers below
far too on the nose for me!! A friend was like "Guys, I genuinely guessed it on the second try. I'm hoping this is an omen that things will start looking up!"

My current three favorite "just trying to get letters" words are SPACE, GROUT, and LYING.

Probably best to spoiler-tag screenshots if posted for the current word, in case people look in here before playing and would rather not see any prior info. I'll upload mine tomorrow to prove I actually did it today in just the two attempts

didn't even think you could do that with an image for some reason, ty

Today's word was
far too on the nose for me!! A friend was like "Guys, I genuinely guessed it on the second try. I'm hoping this is an omen that things will start looking up!"

My current three favorite "just trying to get letters" words are SPACE, GROUT, and LYING.

It's a big word now adays...

i was honestly thinking about it the whole time, but for some reason thought it ended with a k, which would make it too large for wordle...

Screenshot of yesterdays mad guessing scramble for me

So relieved I managed to get there in the end

Knew today would be more of a struggle - got it on the 4th guess.

First time i got it on the 4th try, 5/5 streak. I got lucky with the first guess, it really narrowed it down.

WARNING: "warning contains clues" spoilers below

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-01-16 at 13-54-15 Wordle - A daily word game.png
Views:	177
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	84450