Movie Forums Top 100 of the Aughts (the 00s) - Recommendation Thread

→ in
Tools    

The trick is not minding
Polytechnique in particular was one that I hadn't heard a lot about and it had a really strong impact on me.

Anyway, in the last hour I went from not having thought about this countdown too much to deciding I'll be really upset if Mysterious Skin doesn't make the list.
This does look really good. And I do like coming of age films. And this looks really bleak.
Edit: talking about Mysterious Skin, if that wasn’t clear.

This does look really good. And I do like coming of age films. And this looks really bleak.
Edit: talking about Mysterious Skin, if that wasn’t clear.
Yeah, it is incredibly bleak. But also really, really amazing.

Gosh, what do I like from the 2000s that people might not have seen?

The Heart of the Game
The Nine Lives of Tomas Katz
Ballast
Blood Tea and Red String
Fade to Black
Dracula: Pages from a Virgin's Diary
Alamar
Bright Future
Brand Upon the Brain
End of the Line
Dark Days
The Cuckoo
Keane*
Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont
The Headless Woman
Bread and Tulips
London to Brighton
Happy Accidents*
Tropical Malady
Lantana
Stuck
Limits of Control
Wendy and Lucy
Tape
Red Road
Undertow
I'm a Cyborg, but That's Okay
Osama*
Seraphim Falls
Spartan
The Return*
Millinium Actress*
Breakfast on Pluto
3-Iron*
The Eclipse
Polytechnique
Black Dynamite
Mysterious Skin*

Oh, yeesh. And that's just the ones I think are less popular.
Wow, the only one I've seen of these is Polytechnique. The shame

Nice to see a little love for London To Brighton. Bin-jip [3-Iron] was my #8 for the FL countdown, very disappointed to see it miss that Top 100 completely

I'd put forward O'Horten (2007 - comedy drama), The Pool (2007 - drama) and Romanzo criminale (2005 - crime drama) as perhaps worthy of a watch for those that think they might suit their tastes and haven't yet seen them.

I wish I hadn't seen Mysterious Skin. Some things you can't scrub from your brain.
I think it's a really fascinating exploration of trauma and relationships and it's also incredibly hard to watch.

Wow, the only one I've seen of these is Polytechnique. The shame
For you personally, I think you'd really like:
Blood Tea and Red String
Alamar
Keane*
The Headless Woman
Happy Accidents*
Lantana
Seraphim Falls
Spartan
The Return*
3-Iron*
Black Dynamite
Mysterious Skin*

Though, as mentioned, Mysterious Skin is not an easy watch, and it does involve the abuse of children.

Alamar is probably the gentlest of the films on that list. It just follows a father and son in a few days of their life on the ocean.

For you personally, I think you'd really like:
Blood Tea and Red String
Alamar
Keane*
The Headless Woman
Happy Accidents*
Lantana
Seraphim Falls
Spartan
The Return*
3-Iron*
Black Dynamite
Mysterious Skin*

Though, as mentioned, Mysterious Skin is not an easy watch, and it does involve the abuse of children.

Alamar is probably the gentlest of the films on that list. It just follows a father and son in a few days of their life on the ocean.
Thanks!

On to the next year, based on what I've logged on Letterboxd, this is my Top 10 for 2002...

1. The Pianist
  2. Road to Perdition
  3. The Two Towers
  4. Adaptation
  5. Catch Me If You Can
  6. City of God
  7. Irreversible
  8. One Hour Photo
  9. Insomnia
  10. About Schmidt

Generally speaking, I think this is a "weak" year. Still, these are some honorable mentions, or other films that I think deserve attention...
  • Antwone Fisher
  • Russian Ark
  • Bloody Sunday
  • Hero
  • The Bourne Identity.

I should also rewatch films like Femme Fatale, Dog Soldiers, Secretary, and The Crime of Padre Amaro. It's been too long since I've seen them for me to properly rank.

Generally speaking, I think this is a "weak" year...
Surely you're joking, right? 2002 was the year of the masterpiece that is The Adventures of Pluto Nash. I mean, come on! That's quality cinema.

Surely you're joking, right? 2002 was the year of the masterpiece that is The Adventures of Pluto Nash. I mean, come on! That's quality cinema.
Ah, well, I've dodged that bu- I mean, I haven't seen that masterpiece of cinema yet

Once again, based on what I've logged on Letterboxd, this is my Top 10 for 2003...

1. Kill Bill Vol. 1
  2. Return of the King
  3. Big Fish
  4. Oldboy
  5. Memories of Murder
  6. Matchstick Men
  7. Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring
  8. Mystic River
  9. A Tale of Two Sisters
  10. Finding Nemo

These are some honorable mentions, or other films that I think deserve attention...
  • X2
  • The Last Samurai
  • Master and Commander
  • The Fog of War
  • 11:14
  • Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines

I should also rewatch films like Lost in Translation, Pirates of the Caribbean, and 21 Grams. It's been too long since I've seen them for me to properly rank.