The Share Your Dreams Thread

Tools    

I like to believe it is heaven/the afterlife. The idea that there's nothing beyond death is too scary to comprehend.
do you think so? I dunno, I quite like the idea of nothing. I like the idea that all your atoms would disperse about the place. Like Bill Bryson wrote about:
It is a slightly arresting notion that if you were to pick yourself apart with tweezers, one atom at a time, you would produce a mound of fine atomic dust, none of which had ever been alive but all of which had once been you

This needs to be a sitcom.

I did use it once as material for a writing class.

do you think so? I dunno, I quite like the idea of nothing. I like the idea that all your atoms would disperse about the place. Like Bill Bryson wrote about:
It is a slightly arresting notion that if you were to pick yourself apart with tweezers, one atom at a time, you would produce a mound of fine atomic dust, none of which had ever been alive but all of which had once been you

I agree. If your brain and consciousness shut down at death, by definition you won't experience anything afterward -- having died will "feel" exactly the same as having yet to be born. Truly comforting. Meanwhile, realizing this is the only life any of us will ever have sharpens your focus on making the most of this life, for yourself and everyone else.

I agree. If your brain and consciousness shut down at death, by definition you won't experience anything afterward -- having died will "feel" exactly the same as having yet to be born. Truly comforting.
Truly comforting? Yeah, maybe if you'd rather just forget about your whole life and everything you ever experienced, but I still bet even people who say that don't really want to forget EVERYTHING. You don't know what not existing "feels" like, you only know the fact that you didn't exist before you were born. If death means you lose EVERYTHING and it's just like before you were born.... I fail to see why everyone should see that as "truly comforting." It doesn't comfort me knowing me and my whole life and all my experiences are going to be completely erased. If I should happen to die tomorrow and that means my whole life is completely erased, I'm sorry, that's not comforting. Give me a break with it being "comforting" and something to be happy about. You wouldn't find it comforting if you lost all of your limbs, so why should it be comforting that you lose EVERYTHING?

I at people who think "nothing happens after death" is comforting and a blissful thing. At least the religious people believe that life continues, even if that's not true and they're only fooling themselves. It's a beautiful thing to have faith, so stop knocking down people who have it by preaching your dreary, dismal attitudes. Even if you have found peace with "nothing happens after death", not everybody likes the thought, and that's very understandable. And -- they might be right -- that life continues after you die.

Meanwhile, realizing this is the only life any of us will ever have sharpens your focus on making the most of this life, for yourself and everyone else.
That's not a bad attitude, though.

Meanwhile, realizing this is the only life any of us will ever have sharpens your focus on making the most of this life, for yourself and everyone else.
Pretty sure most believers would tell you they don't need an infinity of nothingness to make the most of their lives. People, as always, can read meaning into whatever they want, retroactively.

Anyway, the larger issue there is what "making the most of" ends up meaning in that scenario.

MC for the Great Underground Circus
I have full presence of mind in what my dreams mean and why I have them.

I also rarely forget them. One thing that I enjoy is to try and remember the dream I just woke up from, and one way to fully remember it is to picture it in reverse order [from the last thing I remember to the first imagery].

That said, my dreams are pretty nonsensical - those kind of dreams in which you are on your living-room, then you look to your right and you're on a beach driving a bath.tub].

Of the few dreams I kept close at heart [due to it's meaning and reason behind it] this - to me - is the most important one:

I dreamt I was climbing a high stone staircase that is located near my home [it's a very tough climb, I can tell you that]. At the middle of the climbing I see an old grey dog .

His body is rotten, stinking, and he makes an annoying whining sound when he breaths as he tries to crawl the stairs to little or no avail.

As I approach the dog he looks up at me and says in this very sad and anguished voice

"will you please take me home to die?"

So I took pity of the poor old fellow and I lift him up, very careful not to harm him any further. And, as I was reaching the top of the staircase I woke up. In deep sadness and despair too cause I didn't go through with my promise.

I know why I dreamt it too. You see, Early that evening I was sat at stairs outside the building I used to live in, smoking a cigarette and deep in my thoughts [there was not much to do, cause it was raining heavily]; when out of that rain a stray dog came taking shelter from the cold and the rain and he layed down between my legs. And there he died, with this sadness in his eyes I will never forget as long as I live.

I make my self remember it in a constant basis too. It helps me to keep in mind what truly matters in life.

Truly comforting? Yeah, maybe if you'd rather just forget about your whole life and everything you ever experienced, but I still bet even people who say that don't really want to forget EVERYTHING. You don't know what not existing "feels" like, you only know the fact that you didn't exist before you were born. If death means you lose EVERYTHING and it's just like before you were born.... I fail to see why everyone should see that as "truly comforting." It doesn't comfort me knowing me and my whole life and all my experiences are going to be completely erased. If I should happen to die tomorrow and that means my whole life is completely erased, I'm sorry, that's not comforting. Give me a break with it being "comforting" and something to be happy about. You wouldn't find it comforting if you lost all of your limbs, so why should it be comforting that you lose EVERYTHING?

I at people who think "nothing happens after death" is comforting and a blissful thing. At least the religious people believe that life continues, even if that's not true and they're only fooling themselves. It's a beautiful thing to have faith, so stop knocking down people who have it by preaching your dreary, dismal attitudes. Even if you have found peace with "nothing happens after death", not everybody likes the thought, and that's very understandable. And -- they might be right -- that life continues after you die.

That's not a bad attitude, though.

You make some good points. I should have stayed in the first person. Thanks for the reality check!

I like to believe it is heaven/the afterlife. The idea that there's nothing beyond death is too scary to comprehend.
What would you feel from that though? What would you experience?

I agree. If your brain and consciousness shut down at death, by definition you won't experience anything afterward -- having died will "feel" exactly the same as having yet to be born. Truly comforting. Meanwhile, realizing this is the only life any of us will ever have sharpens your focus on making the most of this life, for yourself and everyone else.
We don't know what it feels like to not be born though.

I had two dreams last night.

- Dream One: I was in the car with my friend Nicole and her mother. I haven't seen her in a while but we were close friends at the later stages of primary and at secondary and college. We sort of had a friendship similar to the 10th Doctor and Donna Noble from Doctor Who. Anyway, her mother (Who is called Joan) was teaching her to drive and I was in the back seat. In real life I am also about to start learning to drive so in the dream we were talking about that a bit and I said I was hoping to at least be a mediocre driver. Joan said Nicole was hoping to get between an A and A* in driving (although I'm pretty sure in the real world it doesn't work by grades!

- The second dream took place in distant future. The first episode of Series 10 of Doctor Who had already been on and it was a week later. My Dad told me that Doctor Who was on at 7pm again but we turned on the TV to bizarrely find that Strictly was on (in Spring!) instead. I glanced in the TV Guide and saw that Doctor Who had actually been broadcast at 6pm.

We opened BBC iPlayer on the TV and began to watch the episode. My brother Jonathan moaned because he wanted to watch Strictly. My Mum also looked annoyed. There was a zombie shark that was tearing people's limbs off and Maisie Williams returned as her character Ashildr. We commented that it all seemed gory and left it at a cliffhanger because we needed something in town.

We all (Mum, Dad, me, Jonathan) visited the local WH Smith's and spotted Simon Cowell and Louis Walsh stood in a queue waiting to pay. I asked Simon for his autograph (who obliged and scribbled it with a pencil on a page in my autograph book) whilst my Dad spoke to Louis.

Hopefully you would be reincarnated then.
your atoms would just go about and stick onto something else. They could be anywhere. In the air that we breathe or inside plants, insects, humans, or just in the earth or water. Sounds nilhilist as I write it but I like this thought, it's like a constant cycle of life.

The most loathsome of all goblins
I dreamt that it was Christmas for some reason, and I was with my family carrying presents and toys outside to have a picnic in the snow. There were talking polar bears hanging out with us

When I woke up this morning I had the song "A Holly Jolly Christmas" by Burl Ives stuck in my head.

I dreamt that it was Christmas for some reason, and I was with my family carrying presents and toys outside to have a picnic in the snow. There were talking polar bears hanging out with us

When I woke up this morning I had the song "A Holly Jolly Christmas" by Burl Ives stuck in my head.
That sounds like a fun dream. If only it was Christmas!

I dreamt of my late father on the first anniversary of his death, he was stood infront of me wearing a grey suit with one arm raised as he spoke words of comfort to me. It was so vivid i remember it 9yrs on.