Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

SF = Zzzz

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it
I rated this movie just slightly higher than you did, but I did like it.

The Mitchells vs The Machines (2021)

I had really high hopes going into this one, and I think I'm rating it a bit higher than I should because of that. It should probably be a 3.5, but the uniqueness of it really drives the entertainment factor (almost in an Everything Everywhere All at Once kind of way). It hits all the notes of charm, humor, etc. The animation and zaniness just becomes a little too much for me in one sitting, yet its a very impressive effort. I just don't know how often, if ever, I'll revisit this one.

As you mentioned in your review, I did rate this
...the movie was just a little busier than it needed to be. If it had concentrated a little more on the relationship between the father and daughter, it would have been wonderful.

I LOVE Mitchells vs Machines. I’ve seen it a couple times since it came out. It’s the first movie for me that feels like it was actually made by a gen-Zer, and not just guys in their 40s trying to write for that generation. It’s so creative and colorful and as someone who went to school for film with parents who didn’t get it but we’re trying to be supportive it hit close to home.

Triangle of Sadness (Ruben Östlund)

So thrilled to learn that I'm not the only person who just didn't get this movie.
Yeah, not for me. Trying to hard to be offensive, shocking, grotesque etc.

MY YEAR OF DICKS
(2022, Gunnarsdóttir)

"Pamela, let me tell you, women don't actually like having sex. They like the kissing beforehand, and the hugging and the cuddling after. But the actual... penetration is quite unpleasant for a woman."

My Year of Dicks is a semi-autobiographical short written by Pamela Ribon, based on her experiences as a teenager. Directed by Sara Gunnarsdóttir, it is separated in five chapters chronicling a year in the life of Pam (Brie Tilton), as she is determined to lose her virginity. Each chapter follows a different attempt from Pam to "succeed", while featuring different tones and animation styles, culminating with her father giving her the "sex talk" (see an excerpt above).

There have been countless of films about male teenagers determined to lose their virginity, but not nearly as much about female teenagers in the same situation. From that angle, it is refreshing to see Ribon's experiences and perspective brought to life. The story, though, doesn't stray that far from the typical tropes of the genre, and you can probably guess where things will go in the end, but that doesn't make the journey less endearing.

Grade:

Full review on my Movie Loot

I forgot the opening line.
No - I'm not going to throw a tantrum. I'm not.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

By https://community-client-media.s3.us...24948846a1.jpg, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=71370823

John Wick : Chapter 4 - (2023)

It was back to the more popular kind of cinematic entertainment for me this week - and I'm not all that sure how I feel about the 4th John Wick movie. That first film, at 97 minutes, felt perfect. A 169-minute John Wick seems popular - we've left the taught revenge tales and this superhuman assassin now needs the epic treatment. It begins perfectly - shakes the ground beneath us, like a good Wick movie should, and when we're not dancing in neon-drenched almost cyber-punk dens we're jetting off to Paris in the morning or Berlin at night. The plot mechanics are the same however - the same jams are got out of by the same tactics, and I never felt surprised by the story once we left Osaka. I'd had my fill of action after an hour and a half but I still had a good 80 minutes of bone-grinding, spine-shattering violence ahead of me. The last action film I really loved was RRR - probably because it was different. This was the same - but really BIG.

6/10

By IMP Awards, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=62765453

Saint Maud - (2019)

This. Was. Terrific. Finding God means many different thing to different people, and it's the common use of the term that stops Katie/Maud (Morfydd Clark) from being raced to an asylum like she should be - working as a palliative care nurse, she forms an unusual kind of bond with Amanda Köhl (Jennifer Ehle) who plays with her in an almost pretentious fashion, leading to a series of events that I can't spoil lest you watch this. A most interesting, and at times absolutely horrifying, psychological horror film which plays on your mind and questions the validity of our perception of reality - only to reveal why we believe what we do.

8/10

By unknown - http://www.allrovi.com/movies/movie/...ricane-v571336, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=37755729

Crossfire Hurricane - (2012)

I'm not a good enough expert on the Stones to give a really measured judgement on Crossfire Hurricane's accuracy or if it's too reverential to them to give a full account of the band. For me though, it was an excellent run-through about one band's history I didn't know too much about, aside from the whole Brian Jones angle. It gives a nice run-through of their music, with each song really backing up what the band and film are saying about the youth culture of the time and what the band meant to certain people, along with the personal lives of the band members themselves. I finished more of a fan than when I started.

7/10

An Irish Goodbye [Short] (Tom Berkeley, Ross White, 2021)

I'm Going to Santiago [Short] (Sara Gómez, 1964)

Tuesday [Short] (Charlotte Wells, 2015)

The Adventures of Robin Hood (Michael Curtiz, 1938)

Showgirls (Paul Verhoeven, 1995)

The Dirty Dozen (Robert Aldrich, 1967)

Turning Red (Domee Shi, 2022)

The Spy Who Came in from the Cold (Martin Ritt, 1965)

The Brood (David Cronenberg, 1979)

VALLEY OF THE DOLLS
(1967, Robson)

"Honey, listen, it's a rotten business."
"I know. But I love it!"

Valley of the Dolls follows three young women that find themselves dipping their toes in these waters and then end up being washed away by it. Most of the plot follows Anne Welles (Barbara Parkins), a recent graduate that starts as a secretary at a theatrical agency but ends up unwittingly sucked deeper into the business. She is joined by Neely O'Hara (Patty Duke), a rising star in Broadway, and Jennifer North (Sharon Tate), a chorus girl with low self-esteem.

The film chronicles the rise and fall of the three friends as they struggle with newfound fame, failing relationships, and addiction to alcohol and barbiturates (i.e. the titular "dolls") in the midst of this "rotten business". Generally speaking, I feel like there is a strong story here about the burdens and pressures of fame. Unfortunately, it is buried under mediocre craftmanship and bad acting.

Grade:

Full review on my Movie Loot and the HOF30.

By CJ Entertainment, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=70537867

Decision to Leave - (2022)

The mountain and the sea - there's a whole heap of thematic meaning in the two which fills Decision to Leave with moments where it al makes sense, or where we're given a visual cue that you tick off as clever in your mind. It also tells a compelling and heartbreaking story which involves detective Jang Hae-joon (Park Hae-il) and Song Seo-rae (Tang Wei), who is suspected of killing her husband. When Hae-joon falls in love with Seo-rae matters become complicated, and eventually tragic and shattering. Wise people like water, benevolent people mountains - the Confucius quote is used in this film, and the contrast between both types of person is examined, whereas visually it sneaks into our minds from what we see in a literal sense. The haunting love story and great filmmaking make for a very full and satisfying movie which is enjoyable no matter which way you approach it.

8/10

Winchell -

Whether or not you can't get enough of what is now affectionally called "tea," this HBO biopic is worth seeking out. What it lacks in novelty, it mostly makes up for with its strong performances and interestingly told history lessons. For those of you who drew a blank when you read the title, Walter Winchell was a mid-20th century American journalist and radio show host whose true medium was gossip. His style always put him at odds with his employers, but Winchell really made them seethe when he started making it personal, such as famously warning the world about Hitler and infamously siding with Joseph McCarthy.

Veteran character actor Stanley Tucci takes the lead in this one for a change and he's more than up for the task. Besides nailing his New York accent and staccato delivery, I like how he conveys his strong work ethic, especially his unwillingness to compromise regardless of how many friends he loses in the process. One who managed to stick with him until the end is Herman Klurfeld, his ghostwriter, audience surrogate and the author of the book on which the movie is based, who's also played by a welcome sight: a young Paul Giamatti. I also approve of the period details from the historically accurate production design to Bill Conti's jazzy score. Unfortunately, the movie is too willing to settle for the biopic format's hoariest cliches from its rise and fall structure to showing the supposed moment during his childhood that made Winchell...well, Winchell. I at least approve that it begins with his childhood for how it makes the movie a study of the public's shift in preference from newsprint to radio to television. Even if you're also tired of biopics, you could do worse if you have a modicum of interest in Winchell, the history of gossip journalism, etc. Just don't be surprised if your desire to watch Walk Hard or Weird: The Al Yankovic Story spikes once it's over.

VALLEY OF THE DOLLS
(1967, Robson)

Valley of the Dolls follows three young women that find themselves dipping their toes in these waters and then end up being washed away by it. Most of the plot follows Anne Welles (Barbara Parkins), a recent graduate that starts as a secretary at a theatrical agency but ends up unwittingly sucked deeper into the business. She is joined by Neely O'Hara (Patty Duke), a rising star in Broadway, and Jennifer North (Sharon Tate), a chorus girl with low self-esteem.

The film chronicles the rise and fall of the three friends as they struggle with newfound fame, failing relationships, and addiction to alcohol and barbiturates (i.e. the titular "dolls") in the midst of this "rotten business". Generally speaking, I feel like there is a strong story here about the burdens and pressures of fame. Unfortunately, it is buried under mediocre craftmanship and bad acting.

Grade:

Full review on my Movie Loot and the HOF30.
I’ve seen this a couple of times. I kinda like it.

'Submarino' (2010)

Dir.: Thomas Vinterberg

Pretty staggered by how good this film is. It's bleak. So very, unrelentingly, unapolagetically bleak. But it's also incredible.

Two brothers with a tragic past and their own struggles reunite after a period of estrangement. The film's themes are mainly parenthood, addiction and loss. So yes, don't watch it if you're not in the mood to have those things thrust upon you. This isn't a linear film. It weaves in timelines in almost the style of a hyperlink film. The exterior shots are soaked in a teal colour to exude a sort of harsh environment experienced by the characters. They try to make amends for their past but end up in worse situations, then the ending happens. Which tore my internal organs in pieces.

Vinterberg's previous films include the excellent 'The Hunt' and 'Festen', and the very average 'Another Round'. Submarino is step above all of them, Perhaps a few steps above them - it is that good. Such a shame that this film is rarely spoken of, I didn't know of it until recently, but will now shout from the rooftops about how amazing it is.

8.6/10