The Dirt (Netflix film about Motley Crue)

→ in
Tools    

Crue-ball on the Mega-drive/Genesis got me into Motley Crue as a kid, I'd read stories about their antics so when I saw the trailer for this I was hyped. Directed by Jeff Tremaine of Jackass fame (who was trying to get this made for years) it's adapted from a book written by the band.
If you're into your old school rock, this won't disappoint

Rock music and action movie obsessed guy,
The Crue members all Co-Produced it, but it still sucks, mainly because of Pete (Jimmy Fallon 2.0) Davidson.

I'm a sucker for rock biopics, but this one fell flat. It was too generic and the acting was stale. Nevertheless, it was a fun little movie if you don't take it too seriously, which the movie itself doesn't at all.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

I'm a sucker for rock biopics, but this one fell flat. It was too generic and the acting was stale. Nevertheless, it was a fun little movie if you don't take it too seriously, which the movie itself doesn't at all.
I agree with almost everything, I wouldn't say it fell flat, maybe just short when compared to, say, Bohemian Rhapsody. Still a fun movie though

I agree with almost everything, I wouldn't say it fell flat, maybe just short when compared to, say, Bohemian Rhapsody. Still a fun movie though
Oh god no, not compared to that. That was also empty, except for Rami Malek.

Oh god no, not compared to that. That was also empty, except for Rami Malek.
You didn't like Bohemian Rhapsody? For what it was I enjoyed it, a PG13 Queen movie, and with everything with Bryan Singer going on i'm just glad it got finished let alone winning awards

You didn't like Bohemian Rhapsody? For what it was I enjoyed it, a PG13 Queen movie, and with everything with Bryan Singer going on i'm just glad it got finished let alone winning awards
It was ok, but shallow. Rami Malek was pretty coolbin that role though.

The book "The Dirt" was well worth the read. Interlaced with all that debauchery were really heavy moments. Heartbreaking moments even. They didn't touch on them at all in the film except casually, in passing.

It was ok, but shallow. Rami Malek was pretty coolbin that role though.

The book "The Dirt" was well worth the read. Interlaced with all that debauchery were really heavy moments. Heartbreaking moments even. They didn't touch on them at all in the film except casually, in passing.
Yeah I get that there are risks you want writers/directors to take, but would you prefer they took the risk and failed or not take the risk at all? Personally I lean a bit more toward the former, but only a little

Yeah I get that there are risks you want writers/directors to take, but would you prefer they took the risk and failed or not take the risk at all? Personally I lean a bit more toward the former, but only a little
I think I prefer the former. No guts, no glory.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
The Dirt

The opening scene in this film will determine if you want to continue watching, or simply turn it off and never think about this movie ever again. We are quickly introduced to the members of Motley Crue with a quick fire pace that the film actually manages to maintain throughout its running time. I won't go into details about what happens, but I laughed, then felt dirty.

I don't know much about Motley Crue, just 3 out of the 4 members and that Tommy Lee spun upside down for some of his shows. But if even half of what happens in this film is true, then damn are these guys inane, irresponsible, disgusting and about a dozen other less than desirable words I can think of. The trouble is, the participants in these stories were more or less, black out drunk and high during these times. So when something insane happens, it's hard to prove that it did. Seeing Ozzy Osbourne snort ants then lick up his own piss is....something.
Link to full review.

Suspect's Reviews