Watership down remake?

Tools    

It's not a film, it's a four episode BBC series playing over Christmas here in the UK.

Think I will pass, don't like the style of animation they have gone with.

Oh man, you should see the backlash on this.

Absolutely everyone who has commented on YouTube, Twitter, Facebook etc has slammed it for looking so bad, and also being a CGI remake of a beloved classic, that also looks this bad.

One of the major gripes though... is this is a BBC production, and the BBC are funded by public taxes and license payers.
There's a whole country full of miffed license payers because of this abomination.

Very doubtful there'll be any viewers over Christmas.
The BBC has basically pished £20m up the wall for something that wasn't asked for, wasn't needed, and now because of the animation quality, nobody wants to tune it to.

Watched it last night. It is child friendly and it's not very good. It seemed like the further along it went the more liberty they took with the story. My biggest problem (had other smaller problems) was the portrayal of Bigwig and Keehar. I always considered Bigwig a likable character with some rough edges and in this he's just comes across as a mean brute. Keehar is completely selfish and unlikable as well. Also, getting a bit nitpicky here, rather than have Keehar speak in broken Lapine - "ees varren has plenty mudders for Meester PeegVeeg" - they decided to just give him a Scottish accent. Didn't work.

If the story had worked I could have gotten past the bad animation but it didn't, so I can't. It looks terrible.

While the '79 film is a pretty condensed version of the book it's a much more faithful adaption. It at least hit all the major points of the story accurately. This version is bland.

SIGH! Well there's good news and bad news.

Bad news - Imagine just how awesome this could have been if the story was left unchanged. I saw the original when I was a kid and was stunned when scenes of sudden brutality occurred. The violence wasn't gratuitous, but authentic, and gave me a newfound insight as to what the animal kingdom truly is. The movie enthralled me and I even read the book (Damn those rabbits eat alot of pellets)

Good news - By tweaking the original story, the movie will probably give more exposure to where everyone now will be aware of Watership Down. Grimms Fairy Tales is the proof. Those tales were so gory that nobody would know anything about them if they weren't filtered first. Today either the public is extremely desensitized or extremely sensitive, but where the money would be made on this project would be with families/kids. The original didn't make Watership Down a household name. As long as the rabbits don't go bursting into song, and the key points of the story left untouched, then it probably will have been a good decision to censor it somewhat.

I'll stick with the original.
Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

......having said that, I just read the thread and realized they took too many liberties with the story, and the animations terrible. So this movie is ass and a complete fail.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Never seen original, probably won't check this one out either.

Suspect's Reviews

SIGH! Well there's good news and bad news.

Bad news - Imagine just how awesome this could have been if the story was left unchanged. I saw the original when I was a kid and was stunned when scenes of sudden brutality occurred. The violence wasn't gratuitous, but authentic, and gave me a newfound insight as to what the animal kingdom truly is. The movie enthralled me and I even read the book (Damn those rabbits eat alot of pellets)

Good news - By tweaking the original story, the movie will probably give more exposure to where everyone now will be aware of Watership Down. Grimms Fairy Tales is the proof. Those tales were so gory that nobody would know anything about them if they weren't filtered first. Today either the public is extremely desensitized or extremely sensitive, but where the money would be made on this project would be with families/kids. The original didn't make Watership Down a household name. As long as the rabbits don't go bursting into song, and the key points of the story left untouched, then it probably will have been a good decision to censor it somewhat.
I remember being terrified watching Bigwig's fight with (I forget the Rabbit with the dodgy eye's name) but it was far from scarring. hopefully it's not watered down too much