Decade's Top 100 Films: 2000-2009

→ in
Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
I get the feeling you wouldn't put Basterds on that list anyway.

You forgot Inglourious Basterds, O' Brother Where Art Thou?, and The Dark Knight amongst others, but I did enjoy your list!
Like Iro said, it wasn't a case of forgetting anything. As I specified in the first post, I either haven't seen a film if it isn't on this list, or I didn't like it enough to include it.

I'm humiliated to admit it, but I have yet to see O Brother. It's high on my must-see list. As for the other two, I have seen them, but don't like them enough to include on my top 100 of the decade (I do like The Dark Knight, but I dislike Inglourious Basterds).

See the trailer here:

Thank you very much 'michaelcorleone' for your effort. It's a really nice list you've put for us BUT i must say we disagree a little :P haha- which is bound to happen! (it's practically inevitable when talking about movies and all) Some movies I would personally add would be: Blow (2001), A Beautiful Mind (2001), Milk (2008), Slumdog Millionaire (2008) and others. Thank you once again man

Thank you very much 'michaelcorleone' for your effort. It's a really nice list you've put for us BUT i must say we disagree a little :P haha- which is bound to happen! (it's practically inevitable when talking about movies and all) Some movies I would personally add would be: Blow (2001), A Beautiful Mind (2001), Milk (2008), Slumdog Millionaire (2008) and others. Thank you once again man
Thanks for your feedback. But, as Mark pointed out, my list does include A Beautiful Mind, Milk and Slumdog Millionaire. As for Blow, well... I think it's an awful GoodFellas rip-off with no substance or wit. I really dislike it. So that's why it isn't on there.

I agree, I wasn't a huge blow fan. But I would include Beautiful mind and slumdog millionaire

Which category would INLAND EMPIRE fall in? And if you have seen it, thoughts?
I've been meaning to see it since it came out, but haven't gotten around to it yet. It sounds like something I might really dig.

Interesting thing I noticed...

DIRECTOR WITH MOST FILMS ON THIS LIST: Gus Van Sant (four)
ACTOR WITH MOST FILMS ON THIS LIST: Leonardo DiCaprio (six)

No Pixar films is unfortunate. I also dislike the pick of The Assassination of Richard Nixon. That movie has a good performance by Sean Penn, but it carries what is really a weak script in my opinion. I know I'm in the minority here, when it comes to hardcore film fans, but I think both Jason Reitman films Juno and Thank You For smoking deserve to be on a top 100 lists. I have a hard time figuring out why there isn't more Juno love for these types of lists when it did so well at the box office, amongst the academy and with critics. I love the Darren Aronofsky love though, especially Requiem for a Dream, which I think is one of the most focused, powerful, drug related movies ever.

I've been meaning to see it since it came out, but haven't gotten around to it yet. It sounds like something I might really dig.
I saw you had Mulholland Dr so figured you would dig it if you had have seen it; most people who didn't rate it, aren't Lynch fans.

What with Revolutionary Road that you put it in top 1? I really expect Lord of the Rings or even a Harry potter or Spiderman. What's your point man?

Welcome to the human race...
What with Revolutionary Road that you put it in top 1? I really expect Lord of the Rings or even a Harry potter or Spiderman. What's your point man?
You know, if you read the paragraph he wrote under the film's name, he explains himself quite clearly.

You know, if you read the paragraph he wrote under the film's name, he explains himself quite clearly.
I certainly tried to. I mean, this is a subjective list. It's a film I love, for reasons that I made an effort to express. I am certainly open to answering any questions about specific elements, or debating my stance.

No Pixar films is unfortunate. I also dislike the pick of The Assassination of Richard Nixon. That movie has a good performance by Sean Penn, but it carries what is really a weak script in my opinion.
Pixar just doesn't enthrall me like it does with so many other people. In terms of cinema and what it has to offer, I have very limited interest in animated movies about robots and rats. I really enjoy Monsters, Inc. and Toy Story, but not to the extent where I can develop any kind of personal attachment. I have yet to see Wall E and Ratatouille, but I was very underwhelmed by Up and The Incredibles. I suppose they're fine for what they are, but they really don't intrigue me.

As for The Assassination of Richard Nixon, obviously I disagree. Considering the script is essentially a character portrait, I consider it exceedingly well-written. The protagonist is intriguingly drawn and accessible, and provides Penn with the kind of texture required for a performance of that caliber. His descent is well-structured and believably played out, and I find the dialogue to be convincing and effective. I also think it's gorgeously shot by Emmanuel Lubezki (a great cinematographer), and directed skillfully.

I know I'm in the minority here, when it comes to hardcore film fans, but I think both Jason Reitman films Juno and Thank You For smoking deserve to be on a top 100 lists. I have a hard time figuring out why there isn't more Juno love for these types of lists when it did so well at the box office, amongst the academy and with critics. I love the Darren Aronofsky love though, especially Requiem for a Dream, which I think is one of the most focused, powerful, drug related movies ever.
I like Juno and Thank You for Smoking, but I'm not a big enough fan of either film to include them on this list. But I agree with you that they're good movies. I think Ellen Page is an absolutely beautiful and talented woman, but I am more enamored with her work in The Tracey Fragments than Juno. That being said, she's excellent in both films.

Always glad to meet other Aronofsky fans. Cheers.

Ok I feel retarded, how the hell did i miss them :/! hahaha

nice list - some movies to catch up on - am looking forward to the finish line now

Great list about 40 of these movies are on my to do list(just finished watching Don's Plum two thumbs up) but i have one problem: Wristcutters to me is certainly a top 30 film of the past decade dissapointed that it is not on there but i understand the list is based on your preference

Great list about 40 of these movies are on my to do list(just finished watching Don's Plum two thumbs up) but i have one problem: Wristcutters to me is certainly a top 30 film of the past decade dissapointed that it is not on there but i understand the list is based on your preference
Oh man, I loved Wristcutters too. It's one of those movies that's inches away. The more films I think about, the smaller the number 100 looks. There are lots of films that I really liked or even loved that just barely missed being on here. Wristcutters is definitely one of them.

It's always great to meet fans of Don's Plum! It's such an unpopular and misunderstood movie. I am a big fan of it.