Top 10 Films of the 1940s

Tools    

Surprised I couldn't find an existing thread for this either...

Once again, correct me if I'm wrong...

01. Citizen Kane (1941) Orson Welles
02. The Bicycle Thief (1948) Vittorio De Sica
03. Rope (1948) Alfred Hitchcock
04. Casablanca (1942) Michael Curtiz
05. The Third Man (1949) Carol Reed
06. White Heat (1949) Raoul Walsh
07. It's a Wonderful Life (1946) Frank Capra
08. The Grapes of Wrath (1940) John Ford
09. Double Indemnity (1944) Billy Wilder
10. The Maltese Falcon (1941) John Huston

See the trailer here:

Semper Fooey
Casablabca

The Killers

Gun Crazy

The Maltese Falcon

Notorioua

Treasure of Sierra Madre

White Heat

Kind Hearts and Coronets

The Philadelphia Story

Pinocchio

I deliberately left out Citizen Kane, splendidly shot, but the characters keep repeating themseves, telling us exactly, over and over, what a rotter Kane is. Welles hadn't lerned how to write for the screen yet. He did by the time he did Touch of Evil and I think it's his masterpiece.

Banned from Hollywood.
10.The Philadephia Story (1940, Cukor)

9.Dumbo (1941, Disney)

8.Fantasia (1940, Disney)

7.Children Of Paradise (1945, Carne)

6.The Third Man (1949, Reed)

5.Rope (1948, Hitchcock)

4.Brief Encounter (1945, Lean)

3.Citizen Kane (1941, Welles)

2.Casablanca (1942, Kurtiz)

1.Stray Dog (1949, Kurosawa)

I deliberately left out Citizen Kane, splendidly shot, but the characters keep repeating themseves, telling us exactly, over and over, what a rotter Kane is. Welles hadn't lerned how to write for the screen yet. He did by the time he did Touch of Evil and I think it's his masterpiece.
I didn't interpret Kane that way at all. I don't think its aim is to exemplify Kane's negative traits at all. On the contrary, it charts the enormity (and complexity) of a man's life very well. It's a layered and profoundly intelligent character study... I would go so far as to call it one of the top 5 screenplays of all time. It's so much more than a technical achievement.

I think it's becoming fashionable for cinephiles to oppose its greatness, because going with the conventional opinion is always frowned upon by artistic communities. Not saying that this is your reason for disliking it, but I think in a lot of cases that's exactly what it is. It's obvious that you're not one of those people, simply based on the fact that you included a movie like Casablanca right at the top of your list.

Touch of Evil is a great film too... but it's just not Citizen Kane (in my opinion ).

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
1. Dumbo
2. Casablanca
3. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
4. A Matter of Life and Death
5. Heaven Can Wait (1943)
6. The Maltese Falcon
7. The Red Shoes
8. Pinocchio
9. The Devil and Daniel Webster
10. Red River (Yep, Pilgrim, that one.)

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
  • Brief Encounter
  • Citizen Kane
  • The Third Man
  • Rebecca
  • The Postman Always Rings Twice
  • The Shop Around the Corner
  • A Matter of Life and Death
  • Black Narcissus
  • Casablanca
  • Gaslight

The Third Man
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
Casablanca
Citizen Kane
The Bicycle Thief
Double Indemnity
The Maltese Falcon
Open City
The Grapes of Wrath
Notorious
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

So many good movies, so little time.
1. Casablanca (1942)
2. Citizen Kane (1941)
3. Double Indemnity (1944)
4. The Maltese Falcon (1941)
5. Fort Apache (1948)
6. Rebecca (1940)
7. The Bicycle Thief (1948)
8. The Bank Dick (1940)
9. Mark of Zorro (1940)
10. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948)

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."- Groucho Marx

My Faves:

10. She Wore A Yellow Ribbon (1949)
....around the old oak tree.

9. Citizen Kane (1941)
Rosebud, y'all.
And that's just about all that needs to be said about one of the most famous movies in American film history.
Because, if you don't know know about this film, then you obviously are from another planet.

8. Spellbound (1945)
Not exactly Hitchcock's best, but still, a terse psychological mystery thriller by the director who mastered that particular genre in the world of film, combined with a Dali-esque dream sequence by the painter who mastered that particular genre in the world of art.

7. The Great Dictator (1940)
Chaplin speaks!
Capturing not just a moment in film history as the master of silent stunt work utters his first words onscreen, but also that his words are an uncharacteristic (& for the time, risky) serious reflection of the status of a moment in world history.

6. Casablanca (1946)
When it comes to romance films, this is the classic of all classics.
A movie that shows that it doesn't take much to see that the problems of three little people don't amount to a hill of beans in
value
this crazy world.
So, play it again Sam,
cuz here's looking at you, kid.

5. Notorious (1942)
An atypical Holllywood picture of this era featuring the insanely good-looking couple of Ingrid Bergman & Cary Grant, a lush atmospheric feel, spy intrigrue, and a small cadre of Nazi's thrown in for good measure. All wrapped up in a cinematic bite that could only be the signature of Alfred Hitchcock.

4. The Mark Of Zorro (1941)
The adventures of a masked vigilante back when the concept of the genre was more akin to the noble art of swashbuckling than it was to the grit & dark-ridden quest of vengeance that it is today.

3. The Maltese Falcon (1940)
There was once a time when when crime-noir movies were big. And that bigness practically began with the not-so-noble hero, hard-nosed archetype private detective Sam Spade. Particularly this version played by Bogey himself & featuring the infamous MacGuffin known as the Maltese Falcon.

2. The Wolf Man (1941) Just a plain ol' Universal Monster classic, this one is right there. I am a huge fan of the first black & white Universal Monster series of way back in the day. From my point of view, any datedness that may have resulted over time from these original gangstas of horror quickly fade once the integrity of the energy that was captured in the filming becomes apparent.

1. His Girl Friday (1940)
The genre of the romantic comedy comes to an early peak with this story about two reporters, once divorced from each other, but still carrying a shared torch as fiery as their shared passion for their jobs. Old skool movie dialogue so quick & full of wit, that despite any dated slants in the material, comes off sounding contemporarily sharp & filled with as much energy as if it were written for today.

The Best Years of Our Lives
A Canterbury Tale
It's a Wonderful Life
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
To Be or Not to Be
A Matter of Life and Death
The Big Sleep
Laura
The Ghost and Mrs. Muir
The More the Merrier

Five greats not mentioned much

Roxie Hart
Life with Father
Force of Evil
Oliver Twist
Stray Dog

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
The Best Years of Our Lives is the best I've seen from the 40's so far. I wasn't a huge fan of The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, but it was decent. Rebecca was so-so as well.

The Best Years of Our Lives is the best I've seen from the 40's so far. I wasn't a huge fan of The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, but it was decent. Rebecca was so-so as well.
See if you can get your hands on some POWELL & PRESSBURGER. you won`t be dissapointed. Say A Matter of Life and Death, I Know Where I`m Going and The Red Shoes

The Grapes of Wrath - (1940, John Ford)

Oliver Twist - (1948, David Lean)

The Maltese Falcon - (1941, John Huston)

The Third Man - (1949, Carol Reed)

Sergeant York - (1941, Howard Hawks)

The Great Dictator - (1940, Charles Chaplin)

It's a Wonderful Life - (1946, Frank Capra)

Notorious - (1946, Alfred Hitchcock)

Hamlet - (1948, Laurence Olivier)

Miracle on 34th Street - (1947, George Seaton)

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Kind of a little disappointed, I remember watching The Grapes of Wrath in high school my senior year but I just didn't pay any attention to it at the time. I'm guessing it is actually probably a pretty good film

Kind of a little disappointed, I remember watching The Grapes of Wrath in high school my senior year but I just didn't pay any attention to it at the time. I'm guessing it is actually probably a pretty good film
The Grapes of Wrath wasn't to memory his best work though many would disagree. I should probably have a relook into this film as well. As for 40's John Ford's films a film I never hear mentioned and wonder if anyone other than mark f and Holden have seen is The Fugitive (1947) now if you can get your hands on this film be prepared to watch something complete different for almost all of his other works. She Wore and Yellow Ribbon and My Darling Clementine get all the rave reviews althought I can honestly say I enjoyed 3 Godfathers as much or more. To see something unque from Ford in the 40's look no further then his COLOR footage of The Battle of Midway (1942) and if you haven't seen How Green Was My Valley (1941) it might my favourite film of his from the 40's.

My favorite are : --
Pinocchio (1940)
Dumbo (1941)
Bambi (1942)
Casablanca (1942)
It's a Wonderful Life (1946)
The Bishop's Wife (1947)
Miracle on 34th St. (1947)
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (1947)
Stray Dog (1949)

I've been watching more and more 40's films lately. This is how I would rank my top 10 right now:

1. Casablanca
2. The Best Years of Our Lives
3. It's a Wonderful Life
4. Pinocchio
5. Notorious
6. Treasure of the Sierra Madre
7. Rebecca
8. Maltese Falcon
9. Gaslight
10. Rope

1. Citizen Kane
2. Casablanca
3. The Third Man
4. Out of the Past
5. How Green was My Valley
6. The Big Sleep
7. The Best Years of Our Lives
8. Laura
9. The Maltese Falcon
10. Notorious

The 40s was probably the best decade in movie history. I love film noir, and this is without a doubt the golden age of those films. There were no bad pictures from this period, so many great directors were in peak form: Orson Welles, Howard Hawks, Frank Capra, William Wyler, John Ford, Alfred Hitchcock, Sir Carol Reed, Billy Wilder, Otto Preminger...

1. Late Spring
2. The Great Dictator
3. A Picture of Dorian Grey
3.5 Rashomon (made in 1950 if that counts)
4. Lost Weekend
5. The Third Man
6. Brief Encounter
7. Possessed
8. His Girl Friday
9. Casablanca
10. Citizen Kane

1. Late Spring
2. The Great Dictator
3. Picture of Dorian Grey
3.5 Rashomon (made in 1950 if that counts)
4. Lost Weekend
5. The Third Man
6. Brief Encounter
7. Possessed
8. His Girl Friday
9. Casablanca
10. Citizen Kane
I didn't even think to count foreign films, unless you count The Third Man. My list would probably look completely different if I did.

His Girl Friday, Brief Encounter,
and The Lost Weekend almost made my list, but I'm partial to film noir, so I just loaded mine up with those.