Sort of related. Best broadway musicals turned into movies

West Side Story
Cabaret
Sound of Music
Chicago
Showboat (James Whale)
Oliver

2. Amadeus
I avoided this film for years, under the assumption that it's subject matter was just something that I really wouldn't have any interest in.
Then one day, as it aired on one of those "classic" movie channels on T.V., I decided to finally give it a chance, just to see what all that Oscar hype back in '84 was all about.
Turns out, this film isn't so much a historical retelling of classical-music pioneer, Mozart as it a homage to the creative process of a genius who's talent was masked by both his almost hippie like eccentricity & by the conservativeness of the times. The ease of Mozart's ability to conjure up music that would stand the test of time was only recognized & appreciated by his "best friend" & rivalous contemporary, the more forgotton Salieri.
For me, the true test of any film that centers on the art of artist is the ability for it to make me appreciate (and maybe even like) the art more than I did before I watched the film. Maybe, in my case it was more the result of ignorance than anything else, I wasn't into Mozart's stuff. After viewing this movie though, as far as his music, I walked away with my eyes a little more opened & my ears a little more enriched.
Rock me, Amadeus.*

I grew up listening to Classical music and hated it because it was forced on me. It wasn't until I saw Amadeus that I started to grow an appreciation for it.

Absolutely. The film is a definite improvement over the staged musical.

Has to be Glengarry Glen Ross for me too. Great, dialogue driven film with excellent performances. I will never forget Baldwin's cameo.