Tools    

DIRECTOR
Sam Mendes

STARS
Leonardo DiCaprio
Kate Winslet
Kathy Bates

STORY
A young couple living in a Connecticut suburb during the mid-1950s struggle to come to terms with their personal problems while trying to raise their two children. Based on a novel by Richard Yates.

So I've read the book and it's a masterpiece. I also loved American Beauty and Road to Perdition (both directed by Mendes), and it stars three of the actors from Titanic (which is in my top 10). Leonardo DiCaprio is my favorite male actor, Kate Winslet is one of my favorite female actors.

This is going to be in my top 20!!! I can't wait. Anyone else excited??

So I've read the book and it's a masterpiece ... I can't wait. Anyone else excited??

I most certainly am! Like you I’ve also read the book..., it has the promises to adapt well.

Although having not made many films I’m already impressed by Mendes (i think the Road to Perdition was massively under received, but this often happens when following up a big "critical" success, think The Talented Mr. Ripley after The English Patient). All said, this movie has the making to be a real stomper... According to IMDB it's finished shooting and slated for a UK release Jan 09 and a limited release in the USA in December 08. That’s a real shame. I think it’s getting a wider release in UK because its being made by BBC films, so it will also get a strongly supported TV showing. Maybe its US release is designed for Oscar attention, with a bigger blown release to follow... I'm sure Kate-never-wins-nothing-Winslet will get a Oscar nomination for it.

The only cause for concern is that I’m often disappointed with novel to screen movies... you have your first love and some one else’s vision so often fails. (bar maybe Kubrick). Last time I got really excited about a book making it to the screen was with the Beach which turned out to be so so so much of a let down. Given that the beach also starred Leonardo (who murdered the character of Richard) I'm worried he might not pull his off. I'm reassured slightly by is recent(ish) performance in Blood Diamond.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
Sounds ok it will more than likly be watched by my wife so there for I shall be watching it lol She will enjoy it.

Im watching it now, and more than halfway thru it. Without a doubt Kate Winslett is our new Maryl Streep. Shes able to play any range matched with any nationality. When it comes to what an actor can bring to the table Leos just a freak. He has the look, the talent, the focus, and the time to be a bigger star than any actor ever. Yes I said that, and by the time Leo turns 50 Im betting he'll go down as one of the greats - Bogart, Grant, Hanks, Fonda, etc...

This film is one of the beast dialogue dramas Ive seen in years. Wish they made more movies like this. An actor like Kevin Spacey should seek out movies like this as it would show his strengths.