Your Favorite,1950's Movie Recommendations

Tools    

All About Eve (1950) was rather a landmark film. Davis and Baxter, of course, but I enjoy George Sanders at his bastardly best. MM had a notable role, but it really wasn't anything special.

A Summer Place 1959
Blue Denim 1959
Three Coins In The Fountain 1954
An Affair To Remember 1957
White Christmas 1954
The Asphalt Jungle 1950
Rebel Without A Cause 1955
Sayonara 1957
The Bridge on the River Kwai 1957
I Was An American Spy 1951

A Summer Place 1959
Blue Denim 1959
White Christmas 1954
The Asphalt Jungle 1950
Sayonara 1957
Some good choices there!

A Summer Place was shockingly frank for the 1950s. I liked it and I've seen a number of Sandra Dee films.

White Christmas is always a favorite, love the one...the dance number with Danny Kaye and Vera-Ellen is my favorite number. But geez she was really, really thin in that film. I read that she suffered from anorexia.

Sayonara
surprised to see that one mentioned. I liked it but I never hear the film talked about. It was quite ground breaking for interracial dating for the 1950s.

The Asphalt Jungle I'm a big fan of John Huston and Sterling Hayden, love that film. It was a nomination in our Noir Hall of Fame that I hosted.

It's been a long time since I seen Three Coins In The Fountain, An Affair To Remember, The Bridge on the River Kwai & Rebel Without A Cause I really need to rewatch them all as I loved all of them!

Blue Denim & I Was An American Spy, I've not seen those, actually I don't recall hearing about that. But as you seem to have really good taste in films, I'll add them to my watch list.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
A Summer Place 1959
Blue Denim 1959
White Christmas 1954
The Asphalt Jungle 1950
Sayonara 1957
It's been a long time since I seen Three Coins In The Fountain, An Affair To Remember, The Bridge on the River Kwai & Rebel Without A Cause I really need to rewatch them all as I loved all of them!

I love An Affair To Remember. I can never get through the last scene without crying. The last time I watched it, Hubby walked in at the end of the movie and he didn't believe me when I told him that I was crying because of the movie.

Blue Denim & I Was An American Spy, I've not seen those, actually I don't recall hearing about that. But as you seem to have really good taste in films, I'll add them to my watch list.[/quote]

Blue Denim (Carol Lynley and Brandon De Wilde) wasn't that great a movie but the subject matter (teen pregnancy) for the era caused more communication of an otherwise avoided subject.

----
I Was An American Spy was riveting. I have one of her (signed) books, Manila Espionage. This film really kept the viewer's interest.

In a Lonely Place (1950)
Shane (1953)
The Big Heat (1953)
The Band Wagon (1953)
The Barefoot Contessa (1954)
Smiles of a Summer Night (1955)
The Seventh Seal (1957)
The Incredible Shrinking Man (1957)
Time Without Pity (1957)
Mother India (1957)
Vertigo (1958)
North by Northwest (1959)
Sapphire (1959)
Rio Bravo (1959)

Well,let's see...The Thing[1951]James Arness long before Gunsmoke...The African Queen[1951]Bogie an Hepburn...Spartacus[1955]Kirk in sandels...The Ten Commandments[1956]Chuck Heston's signature role.

My favorite films of the 1950's (No particular order):

All About Eve
A Streetcar Named Desire
The Band Wagon
Born Yesterday
Auntie Mame
A Star is Born
Rear Window
The King & I
Oklahoma!
Love Me Or Leave Me
Singin in the Rain