Make Your Picks

The Videogames Tab

Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
let me guess, it’s a mesh design all over? i remember a friend picking that style case out and i told him “you’re gonna hate it. it’s gonna leak sound.” and sure enough, 3 months into the build that was all he would complain about: “it’s so noisy and dusty!”

I’m one that likes no lights and sound dampening panels so you can’t even tell if the machine is on. my builds are boring by most gaming standards
In places yes. Oddly, My machine is super quiet, which is perhaps the design of the Noctua fans? All the fans in the machine are Noctua, not just the main cooler. I also didn't skimp on the GPU, getting one with the larger, more efficient cooling fans, and I lucked into a card with no coil whine. My machine is quieter than it should be. The dust...is bad.

You ready? You look ready.
dammit! now i want to build my own computer and i have no money!

EDIT: If I did have the money I would build THIS and smile.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
you'd build an html page?

o.O

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
I may be kicking the tires (terabytes?) on a workstation to run Inventor. I’m sure building your own is a smarter option, but what are the drawbacks?

Btw, I haven’t had anyone coherently explain the difference between a workstation and a high-end gaming pc.

I may be kicking the tires (terabytes?) on a workstation to run Inventor. I’m sure building your own is a smarter option, but what are the drawbacks?
biggest draw back is when you get a part DOA and can’t do shit with the rest of your parts until you get it replaced.

Btw, I haven’t had anyone coherently explain the difference between a workstation and a high-end gaming pc.
Its a lot like cars. You can slap a spoiler on a Camry but that don’t make it a sports car.

I built my first PC back around Christmas of 2018, I believe. I posted several pics and descriptions in some thread here. For me, the biggest drawbacks were being terrified of breaking everything and not really knowing how to troubleshoot issues when they occur. Oh. You are your own support I guess, too.

The positives far outweighed them negatives though. For one, I like to research things, so I spent a lot of time on sites like New Egg and the link McClane shared comparing components and tracking sales and rebates. I learned a lot about what tech did what from that alone. I even got a free download of Red Dead Redemption (2, I think?) with one purchase. That was kind of like a layered easter egg hunt for me. The other positive is that I now have more of a clue as to what to do if I need to replace something.

To me, the "workstation" is more specialized to the workload you intend to put on it. Years ago, an off the shelf PC might not have the graphics card, memory, or drive speed necessary for say video editing or 3d modeling. Today is another matter, I assume, with relatively high-end tech just hanging out at Best Buy.

Hm. Well, I still haven't figured out why my two front USB ports stopped working... so there's that too, I guess.

Coworker ran me through Returnal. It took two nights, 6-8 hours total. GREAT story. Near IMPOSSIBLE game though! I only survived the Biome 4 boss without need for a res. For anyone not interested in playing it, but enjoy lore in general and want the larger, spooky symbolic beats, check out this video. Obviously spoilers incoming. Everything is spoiled.

I've heard "the pen is mightier than the sword," but I didn't realize the second half of the quote was "...because the pen has a gun attached to it."

correction: "Coming sometime but we really don't know when"
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

When I saw the trailer had landed, I thought to myself "Let me guess...Holidays 2024 release? Who cares about it now, then?" Then I saw the 2025 tag just shook my head. Latest Rockstar new release was in 2018 with RDR 2, with only the poorly received remaster of old games since then. We had a 5-year gap between GTA V and RDR2, and now we are pushing out to 7 years for this game. Pretty crazy for a company that used to support both these series on a shorter release schedule, while also releasing additional games as well. I know the tech has changed, but man... still seems like a big gap. Then again, Fromsoft still hasn't released or even teased Elden Ring DLC trailers, so I guess stuff just takes longer to make now.

That, and they kind of keep it going for awhile. There's been DLC, there's online GTA which I know a lot of people get very into (PW really likes/liked it, I think). The life cycle of a game these days extends well beyond the initial release.

But yeah, they also are just hilariously huge and ambitious.

Baldur's Gate III!
Still slowly grinding away with the two coworkers. Sunday evenings seems to be our time together. One guy is pretty mellow in his approach. He's nice to explore with. The other is a bit more aggressive and runs all over the map while I'm reading dialogue. Of course he's played the game already and is excited to share, so he does make a decent tour guide. Still, he plays faster than either of the two of us are so I feel that I'm missing a lot. Like, nothing is processing before we're moving on to the next thing.

I feel I have my head around most battle mechanics and have learned to use more of my druid animal forms. There was a puzzle room this last playthrough where two players had to sit on two different chairs to activate a hidden door, so that the third player could enter the room. Usually, by the time I have a clue what's happening, well, it's already over.

I still enjoy the game. I did create a solo campaign to try to see details missing in the group play, but there's just no time for both lately. I really hate that! We made a deal though. If I play BG3 with him, he'll join me for a run through Diablo II. Oh. And he did drag me through Returnal, so I kinda owe him.

Baldur's Gate III!
Still slowly grinding away with the two coworkers. Sunday evenings seems to be our time together. One guy is pretty mellow in his approach. He's nice to explore with. The other is a bit more aggressive and runs all over the map while I'm reading dialogue. Of course he's played the game already and is excited to share, so he does make a decent tour guide. Still, he plays faster than either of the two of us are so I feel that I'm missing a lot. Like, nothing is processing before we're moving on to the next thing.

I feel I have my head around most battle mechanics and have learned to use more of my druid animal forms. There was a puzzle room this last playthrough where two players had to sit on two different chairs to activate a hidden door, so that the third player could enter the room. Usually, by the time I have a clue what's happening, well, it's already over.

I still enjoy the game. I did create a solo campaign to try to see details missing in the group play, but there's just no time for both lately. I really hate that! We made a deal though. If I play BG3 with him, he'll join me for a run through Diablo II. Oh. And he did drag me through Returnal, so I kinda owe him.
Still on Hiatus on my BG3 multiplayer run. A combination of my friend's computer going down for a while and him being a bit burnt out due to trying to do multiple runs at the same time have us taking a break to play Valheim for a bit. I am excited to get back to my Cleric in BG3 as soon as possible, though!

Video game awards are tonight. Not particularly excited of them, but I am curious what some of the announcements will be for upcoming games/tech/Elden Ring DLC etc.

Yeah it's funny, that's basically the entire point of these things, to me: to see trailers and release dates. Couldn't care much less about the awards themselves.

If any of you guys think the Oscars are a popularity contest/pointless/whatever, whoo boy...