RIP Katherine Helmond

Tools    

LOVED her on Soap! She was so talented and so personable.
Me too. I loved SOAP and she was one of my favorite characters.
I could never stomach actual daytime soap operas so SOAP (a spoof of said soap operas) was great as a satire of something I could never get into watching.

I also remember Katherine's short appearance in Brazil (1985). Although she wasn't immediately recognizable (what with her face being stretched) it was a real surprise upon first viewing to see her show up in that film!

Awwwww, sadness I'll echo the love for her on Soap, how she managed to deadpan her lines sometimes I'll never know.
Requiescat in pace Katherine!

In Terry Gilliam's Time Bandits

In Terry Gilliam's Brazil

In Terry Gilliam's Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas

"The choice of roles as I grow older gets more and more limited, so if I pin myself to one kind of part I would get in trouble. So, these oddball ladies came along for me to do - I guess Terry Gilliam helped in this respect? I have found them more interesting, flashier, and I get more mileage out of them. Many times when a director reads a script and wants somebody who says 'Far out', they let me do what I want with it and that's usually more interesting for an actor."
- Katherine Helmond
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I'm sorry, I just saw this...fell in love with her when she was playing Jessica Tate...one of the most underrated actresses in the business who never really had the career she deserved. RIP.