Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

That one's really underseen. I'm a huge fan of it. It's so disturbing and so poetic.
Yep. It manages to pack so much into a 48 minute runtime. Plus it's a Tod Browning. And it's got a young, almost unrecognizable, and really hot Joan Crawford.

Yes, I thought The Endless was really good. Great little sci fi thriller, did you see it?
Yes! I just wondered if you had seen it because (MAJOR MAJOR SPOILERS!!!!!!)
WARNING: spoilers below
the characters from Resolution are in The Endless for an important sequence of the film and The Endless explains the monster and time warp elements of Resolution

The Unknown - Another 1927 Lon Chaney silent. This time he's a member of a circus going by Alonzo the Armless Wonder. He does trick shooting and knife throwing with his feet and is obsessed with Nanon, the circus owner's daughter. There's a reveal early on and one of those, "Why not sleep on it and decide in the morning?" plot twists. 85/100
Probably the best thing about the film is the rapid (MAJOR SPOILERS)

HER: Oh, MEN!! WITH THEIR HORRIBLE ARMS!

HIM: "Man, this chick really hates arms!"

HIM: "I will cut off my arms!"

HIM: "Hey, babe, look at me with no--"

HER: "So anyway I love arms now. Mmm mm mm can't get enough!"

The Unknown - Another 1927 Lon Chaney silent. This time he's a member of a circus going by Alonzo the Armless Wonder. He does trick shooting and knife throwing with his feet and is obsessed with Nanon, the circus owner's daughter. There's a reveal early on and one of those, "Why not sleep on it and decide in the morning?" plot twists. 85/100
Only from the mind of Tod Browning would we get such a deliciously odd & cool story. I gave this a similar score 4/5.

Probably the best thing about the film is the rapid (MAJOR SPOILERS)

HER: Oh, MEN!! WITH THEIR HORRIBLE ARMS!

HIM: "Man, this chick really hates arms!"

HIM: "I will cut off my arms!"

HIM: "Hey, babe, look at me with no--"

HER: "So anyway I love arms now. Mmm mm mm can't get enough!"
Right? Talk about impulse control issues.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

A Babysitter's Guide to Monster Hunting (Rachel Talalay, 2020)
5.5/10
Monster Force Zero (Nathan Letteer, 2019)
5/10
Blackpink: Light Up the Sky (Caroline Suh, 2020)
6/10
The Three Deaths of Marisela Escobedo (Carlos Perez Osorio, 2020)
+ 6.5/10

Mother finds "all" the evidence of her daughter's killers, but the Mexican law enforcement agencies don't do their duty.
Clouds (Justin Baldoni, 2020)
6/10
Killer Weekend (Ben Kent, 2018)
5/10
Homewrecker (Zach Gayne, 2019)
6/10
A Colt Is My Passport (Takashi Nomura, 1967)
6.5/10

Hitman Jô Shishido goes through hell after he takes out a mob boss.
Brainscan (John Flynn, 1994)
5.5/10
Daddy's Girl (Julian Richards, 2018)
5/10
Crazy Mama (Jonathan Demme, 1975)
5.5/10
John Bronco (Jake Szymanski, 2020)
- 7/10

Hilarious mockumentary about the spokesperson (Walton Goggins) for the Ford Bronco.
Cagefighter (Jesse Quinones, 2020)
+ 5/10
Beautiful New Bay Area Project (Kiyoshi Kurosawa, 2013)
6/10
Faith Based (Vincent Masciale, 2020)
+ 5/10
Cock and Bull (Baoping Cao, 2016)
+ 6/10

Remote area in China becomes absurdly violent.
Fingers (Juan Ortiz, 2019)
5/10
Rooting for Roona (Pavitra Chalam & Akshay Shankar, 2020)
6.5/10
An Imperfect Murder (James Toback, 2017)
5/10
Tomka and His Friends (Xhanfise Keko, 1977)
6.5/10

Albanian youth take on the Nazis in a suspenseful war film.

I Married A Witch - My overall impression was that this was a weird little film. An oddly mild 1942 screwball comedy with mismatched couple Fredric March and Veronica Lake. March was miscast and is much too old for her but she's great, displaying a charm and a tomboyish energy that's perfect for the role. I also loved her work in the two other films I've seen her in, This Gun for Hire and Sullivan's Travels. It's part of the Criterion collection and is highly rated by critics. 80/100

'Poetry' (2010)
Dir.: Lee Chang Dong

Lee Chang Dong films are normally poetic anyway, but this takes it to a whole new level. It's another of those wonderful South Korean films that tackles the enormity of life, memory, family and everything in between. It also expresses so many layers that explore things like depression and matriarchy.

Lee Chang Dong is a brilliant filmmaker. Much of the dialogue is like a poem in itself. We follow a grandma with dementia struggling to come to terms with a family issue and her new found hobby of poetry. She wants to make amends for other people's mistakes. The struggle to write poetry here perhaps being a metaphor for trying to make sense of a crappy world where crappy things happen that aren't even your fault. The final 30 minutes is a wonderful pay off. Beautiful film.

Unregistered User

Drugstore Cowboy (1989)

Much more realistic than I expected, showing group of people dealing with substance abuse. Has a nice road trip feel that I enjoy in a movie. Good film this and Dillon rightfully well lauded for it.

Once Upon a Time in the Midlands (2002)

Average comedy from Shane Meadows.

Rain day and pumpkin carving day. Managed to squeeze in a couple more of my favorites. Seen them both I don't know how many times (a lot) but still think they're the best horror comedies out there.

Re-Animator

"Plagarist!"

The Return of the Living Dead

"Burt, Frank, we've had a little problem..."

Romanzo Criminale (2005) A very good Italian gangster film about three childhood friends who rise to become bigtime in the Rome underworld.

Viy - A.K.A Forbidden Kingdom (2014) A Russian fantasy film about a Cartographer who finds himself in a small Ukraine village facing off against mystical forces. The special effects were okay, the cinematography was the best part of it, very atmospheric.

Twice Told Tales - An anthology from 1963 with all three stories based on Nathaniel Hawthorne works and starring Vincent Price. The first is Dr. Heidegger's Experiment which costars Sebastian Cabot. The two play old friends who stumble on a fountain of youth of sorts. It's slow moving and kind of stodgy but the same can be said about all three vignettes. The second is Rappaccini's Daughter, where Price plays an overprotective father. Over the top, psychotically overprotective. The third is The House of the Seven Gables in which Price plays Gerald Pyncheon who moves his new bride into his family's ancestral home. He has hidden motives of course. The project as a whole is clearly low budget and each one of these have their share of unintentional humor. Not one of Prices best. 50/100

THE BLACKCOAT'S DAUGHTER (2015)

Well, thanks to those of you who brought this up. This was effectively creepy. To be honest, I didn't "feel it" as the film progressed, at least not a lot. But after the film ended, and I kept on thinking about it, damn, it got under my skin something fierce. Pretty well acted, neatly shot, great use of sound and ambiance. Looking forward to a rewatch, which is usually a good sign.

Grade:

THE BLACKCOAT'S DAUGHTER (2015)

Well, thanks to those of you who brought this up. This was effectively creepy. To be honest, I didn't "feel it" as the film progressed, at least not a lot. But after the film ended, and I kept on thinking about it, damn, it got under my skin something fierce. Pretty well acted, neatly shot, great use of sound and ambiance. Looking forward to a rewatch, which is usually a good sign.

Grade:

This is one of the films I watched this month and I also loved it. I definitely recommend rewatching it. It improves quite a lot upon doing so.

Snooze factor = Z

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

The Last Wave (1977)

It's not as good as Picnic at Hanging Rock, but it's easy to see that both are directed by the same person. The first hour or so is really good, but towards the end, it loses lots of its steam. The soundtrack is great, and it creates a disturbing feel to the film. I can't really pinpoint what goes wrong in the latter parts of the film, and partly because of that, I'm not 100% sure of the rating either (there's a chance I'll up it by half at some point).

The Last Wave (1977)

It's not as good as Picnic at Hanging Rock, but it's easy to see that both are directed by the same person. The first hour or so is really good, but towards the end, it loses lots of its steam. The soundtrack is great, and it creates a disturbing feel to the film. I can't really pinpoint what goes wrong in the latter parts of the film, and partly because of that, I'm not 100% sure of the rating either (there's a chance I'll up it by half at some point).
I really love The Last Wave. While I can agree that most of the memorable imagery comes in the first half, there's something about the sense in the last half that
things are going downhill and if there was a point that anything could be done about it, that time has passed. The main character progresses from an active protagonist to something more akin to a witness, even if he doesn't realize it until the end.