Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Unregistered User

How I Ended This Summer (2010)

ScarletLion was right. Tight little psychological thriller with a nice, snowy but barren landscape. Kind of comparable to The Lighthouse in some ways.

Terrifier (2016)

Entertaining clown slasher.

+

How I Ended This Summer (2010)

Consuming tale of 2 scientists (one a student, one experienced) on a remote Russian isle taking Met data. Got this from a recommendation from a few other mofos and was not disappointed. Both the performances are pitch-perfect and the story very human even against the harsh outlook of the story and environment. Really enjoyed this.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

The Wolf of Snow Hollow (Jim Cummings, 2020)
6/10
Carmilla (Emily Harris, 2019)
5/10
Totally Under Control (3 Directors, 2020)
7/10
Save Yourselves! (Alex Huston Fischer & Eleanor Wilson, 2020)
6/10

When tribbles invade the Earth, millennial couple Sunita Mani & John Reynolds are mostly clueless.
Town Bloody Hall (Chris Hegedus & D.A. Pennebaker, 1979)
6.5/10
All My Compatriots (Vojtech Jasný, 1969)
6/10
Romance (Catherine Breillat, 1999)
5/10
Spontaneous (Brian Duffield, 2020)
6/10

California high school students Katherine Langford & Charlie Plummer are hospitalized after several of their fellow students spontaneously combust.
Storm Boy (Henri Safran, 1976)
6/10
Criminal Audition (Samuel Gridley, 2019)
5.5/10
Danzón (María Novaro, 1991)
6/10
The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp (Michael Powell & Emeric Pressburger, 1943)
8/10

British Roger Livesey and German Anton Walbrook size up each other before they fight a duel and become lifelong friends.
The Elephant In The Room (Allen Freeman, 2020)
+ 6/10
Blue Boy (Manuel Abramovich, 2019)
5/10
Deany Bean is Dead (Mikael Kreuzriegler, 2018)
5.5/10
Tunes of Glory (Ronald Neame, 1960)
8/10

At a Scottish Highland regiment, new commanding officer John Mills and his equally-stubborn predecessor (Alec Guinness) engage in a power struggle over the men's allegiance while each showing signs of mental illness.
Mohawk (Ted Geoghegan, 2017)
6/10
Nainsukh (Amit Dutta, 2010)
6.5/10
Kajillionaire (Miranda July, 2020)
+ 6/10
The Trial of the Chicago 7 (Aaron Sorkin, 2020)
+ 7.5/10

Protesting at the '68 Democratic Convention are four of the Chicago 7 - Tom Hayden (Eddie Redmayne), Jerry Rubin (Jeremy Strong), David Dellinger (John Carroll Lynch) and Abbie Hoffman (Sacha Baron Cohen).

Jisatsu sâkuru [Suicide Club] (Sion Sono, 2001)
+
Beware the power of J-Pop

Jisatsu sâkuru [Suicide Club] (Sion Sono, 2001)
+
Beware the power of J-Pop
Been planning to rewatch this for a while now, but I can't find a good quality copy anywhere. That opening scene is just awesome.

Been planning to rewatch this for a while now, but I can't find a good quality copy anywhere. That opening scene is just awesome.
Yep really opens the tale up well - the final third is a bit 'messy' imo which is a shame but it's still a fun enough watch overall. Sorry, can't help with a decent link as I watched it via dvd.

Aladdin (1992).

First re-watch in about 20 years and I was impressed how well it's held up. It's got it all; great story, characters, songs, performances, animation and a sprinkling of childhood nostalgia. A Disney classic.

4.5/5 Stars.

The Secrets We Keep (2020)

Worthy film that I don't think makes the most of its component parts. Should be a tense affair but just bumbles along towards an inevitable conclusion.

Aladdin (1992).
First re-watch in about 20 years and I was impressed how well it's held up. It's got it all; great story, characters, songs, performances, animation and a sprinkling of childhood nostalgia. A Disney classic.

4.5/5 Stars.
My favourite Disney film by some distance.

The movie of the night, an old one. This is a movie with lineage. Based on the novel, Who Goes There, it was a 1951 classic, The Thing From Another World, and also a 2005 prequel. Sometime soon another version, from a longer version of the original story will be undertaken. Numerous other stories, derivative movies and games are based on the story.

This one, however, is one of John Carpenter's classics. It's frigidly cold in the Antarctic, the long night is coming, the Thing, an extraterrestrial shape shifter, is taking over bodies in the remote outpost, everybody suspects everybody, buildings are burning and it's getting even colder. It will be 100 below before "morning", which is months away.

This flick is truly excellent and ranks very high on almost all movie rankings, not just for horror movies. It's grim, dark, scary, fatalistic and has a slow burn that keeps adding tension. It was from the golden age of pre-digital, wax-melt FX. It has several scenes that nearly duplicate the 1951 version, including the black-and-white look. You can freeze to death, burn up in a building or get taken by The Thing. There's no Plan B with a better outcome.

My favourite Disney film by some distance.
Yep. Same here

The Nightingale (2018)

I had never heard of this until someone here mentioned it recently. It's a historical revenge tale from the director of The Babadook. You can see that it's not from the most upper echelon of directors or actors, but they're both good enough and I loved the content. It's about 135 minutes long and I was engrossed for it's entirety. I was surprised at just how brutal the movie is. The main bad guy is a complete sicko and there were several scenes that made me say oh damn. My wife likes Last House on the Left and The Devil's Rejects, and she may not have made it through without sweet payback on the horizon. It's also just plain sad at times.

The Nightingale (2018)

I had never heard of this until someone here mentioned it recently. It's a historical revenge tale from the director of The Babadook. You can see that it's not from the most upper echelon of directors or actors, but they're both good enough and I loved the content. It's about 135 minutes long and I was engrossed for it's entirety. I was surprised at just how brutal the movie is. The main bad guy is a complete sicko and there were several scenes that made me say oh damn. My wife likes Last House on the Left and The Devil's Rejects, and she may not have made it through without sweet payback on the horizon. It's also just plain sad at times.
This is a movie that's been on my to-see list for over a year, and that I have also been avoiding because of what I know about its content. It's streaming on Hulu and every time I go in there Hulu's like "You wanna watch . . .?" and I just scroll on down to Steven Universe . . .

The main review I read of it was, in a nutshell "good and powerful, but brutal."

This is a movie that's been on my to-see list for over a year, and that I have also been avoiding because of what I know about its content. It's streaming on Hulu and every time I go in there Hulu's like "You wanna watch . . .?" and I just scroll on down to Steven Universe . . .

The main review I read of it was, in a nutshell "good and powerful, but brutal."
That's a mighty fine nutshell

That's a mighty fine nutshell
The review said something to the effect of "not for the faint of heart". I'm fine with certain kinds of violence, but from what I can infer this movie (maybe) has

WARNING: spoilers below

sexual violence
race-based violence
baby-killing violence

none of which I do very well with as a viewer. Still, I've heard enough positives that I'll probably watch it at some point when I'm feeling emotionally sturdy.

My advice is to not underestimate the "brutal" part of the equation. Sheesh.
I underestimate nothing. And at this point, what I'm imagining might even be worse than what's actually in the film.