James Cameron Probably Hates You

Tools    

Yeah, that part caught my eye, too. It's certainly not what I would've guessed based on Cameron's history, but there is a bit in the essay about his technocratic triumphalism, too, so maybe it's that winning out over the misanthropy? Or maybe he's softening up in his older age. Relatively speaking, at least.

Welcome to the human race...
I do wonder how much you can incorporate Dark Fate into your greater theory about Cameron, especially the part about "technocratic triumphalism". Not sure how much I can go into it without spoilers, but considering his comparatively hands-on involvement as a writer/producer as opposed to not caring about the past few sequels, it arguably merits further consideration in this regard (as does Alita: Battle Angel, which he was developing for ages and almost directed himself).

Right on brand:

James Cameron Isn’t Worried About Avatar Trolls: ‘They See The Movie Again And Shut The F–– Up’ – Exclusive

Speaking to Empire in the upcoming world-exclusive Avatar: The Way Of Water issue, Cameron hit back at the criticisms people tend to lobby at the first film. “The trolls will have it that nobody gives a shit and they can’t remember the characters’ names or one damn thing that happened in the movie,” he says. “Then they see the movie again and go, ‘Oh, okay, excuse me, let me just shut the **** up right now.’ So I’m not worried about that.”

I do wonder how much you can incorporate Dark Fate into your greater theory about Cameron, especially the part about "technocratic triumphalism". Not sure how much I can go into it without spoilers, but considering his comparatively hands-on involvement as a writer/producer as opposed to not caring about the past few sequels, it arguably merits further consideration in this regard (as does Alita: Battle Angel, which he was developing for ages and almost directed himself).
Sorry, either didn't see this or didn't reply. Maybe it doesn't help that I can barely remember Dark Fate (though I remember thinking it was okay, and a lot better than the couple of films before it). But yeah, Cameron being sort of involved (with it not being clear how much) makes those kinds of questions tricky.

You ready? You look ready.
James Cameron? He's the boat guy, right?
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

I will likely see "Avatar 2" at some point, but I don't know a single person who is excited about a second film coming out. It seems crazy to me to make a total of 5 of these films. I just don't get this at all, why James Cameron wants to devote so much time and energy to these films, especially at this stage of his career, when he is already 67 and has a limited time to explore other movies. I also don't really see any evidence that this is a world that people want to explore for 4 additional films. Why is he doing this, if anyone knows?

I will likely see "Avatar 2" at some point, but I don't know a single person who is excited about a second film coming out. It seems crazy to me to make a total of 5 of these films. I just don't get this at all, why James Cameron wants to devote so much time and energy to these films, especially at this stage of his career, when he is already 67 and has a limited time to explore other movies. I also don't really see any evidence that this is a world that people want to explore for 4 additional films. Why is he doing this, if anyone knows?

Hubris?

I don't have the answer to that except for the fact that Avatar grossed $2.8 billion-- in 2009!

Apart from the wondrous special effects, I didn't like the Avatar story. Still, it is remarkable that he's waited this long to come out with another one.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I feel like it is as simple as he has no interest in exploring other movies in this stage of his career.

I'll also say this...I'm excited for at least one reason. It will be somewhat refreshing that we are getting a series that no one will know where it will go. Al the Star Wars movies, Marvel movies, everything adapted from a book, game, comic, or whatever...you have a baseline of where the story is going to go. Avatar, we do not.

I WAS excited for the Disney-era Star Wars sequels because it was going forward and not based on prior material...but then they sh*t the bed.

Suspect's Reviews

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Even James Cameron can't handle all these Avatar sequels, may not direct final few films

This is a quote from the article:

"The Avatar films themselves are kind of all-consuming," Cameron told Empire. "I've got some other things I'm developing as well that are exciting. I think eventually over time — I don't know if that's after three or after four — I'll want to pass the baton to a director that I trust to take over, so I can go do some other stuff that I'm also interested in. Or maybe not. I don't know."

Thanks for your thoughts on this, everyone. The only reason that I can think of for why he might be making these movies is that it may be in part politically driven. I know that James Cameron considers himself an environmentalist, and he may be wanting to express his views about that through the "Avatar" series by making a cautionary tale that kind of warns people about the dangers of not dealing with climate change. I also don't understand, if he wanted to make this into a series, why he waited thirteen years to come out with a second film? I think people may have been more interested in seeing more if the second film came out a couple of years after the original film. Usual Suspect, I think you have a good point that it's not clear where this series may go, and what the story-based impetus for making these movies is, which could be exciting, if the movies are done right. I think the fact that the first film made so much money could be a motivator, but likely not the primary one, since if that were the main driver, it would have been far more likely to monetarily capitalize on the success of the first film if the movies were released in quick succession rather than 13 years later.

I think the simplest explanation is that he's a very ambitious guy. It explains why he keeps doing this stuff and why he's blown up so many relationships. He's obsessive and controlling and probably a huge jerk, and being a very successful director allows you to keep being all those things without being completely shunned by society.

A system of cells interlinked
He is also sort of a technologist, so he likes to bring new tech to the industry, and sometimes there is a certain amount time waiting for the tech to be perfected or invented, for that matter etc.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090605/trivia/

Actor Bill Paxton later said that this British film crew drove everyone nuts with their "indentured work ethics", literally stopping filming in the middle of complicated scenes just so they could have tea breaks, go to the pub for lunch, or finish on time. Actor Michael Biehn made fun of the British crew in the audio commentary to "Aliens" by saying that they "weren't used to working" (a remark he threw in when Paxton was talking about the "indentured work ethics").

https://www.getblockbuster.com/post/...meron-s-aliens

It was the first film James had filmed in London, and he quickly learned he did not enjoy this experience.

Not only were there strict union rules that limited how much overtime he could approve, but there were peculiarities like tea breaks at 10am and 2pm that were quickly wearing out their welcome.

Also,

Cinematographer Dick Bush was one of the first to go, after an argument about the alien nest being too bright — James had instructed it to be dark, but Bush felt it wasn't visible enough. Cinematographer Adrian Biddle would be brought in for the rest of the film.

Thanks for the context. I don't have any trouble believing that played a part, though Cameron's reaction still seems pretty over the top. And the fact that he's had similar run-ins with basically everyone else he's ever worked with strongly suggests that those things may have just amplified the normal level of abuse and disdain, rather than causing it outright.